• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

cool, thanks for the help guys! They're my only pair of dress shoes at the moment so I can't really rotate them with anything and I don't have a few hundred £ spare to buy a few new pairs to rotate just yet.
I have this beeswax shoe cream, will this help moisturize the shoes at all?
or am I better off with some lexol or ssaphir renovateur?

Hard to say, but Lexol is cheap and good stuff.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt that a flannel bag does much to trap moisture within itself, so keeping the dust off easily outweighs that concern for me.
I vacillate between wanting to put trees in right away or waiting a while. In practice I have plenty of immediate distractions when I walk in the door, so I never put the trees in immediately anyway - I take them off, go about my business, and then get to them when I get to them. No matter how many times I explain it to him, my dog just refuses to understand the importance of proper shoe care!
Despite my dog's selfishness, I have yet to notice any ill effects from variations in the timing of tree placement and bagging.
Thanks for the input.

Wrighty

Reaction score
Look like calf to me.

Missing the cream step will just not replenish colour. If you've replemished the oils of the leather with reno, after stripping, I wouldn't be too worried.
Hi all

I wanted to ask for some more help here - I wasn't ready to give up just yet.

In short, I got the shoes as far as a really nice shine on the toe in all areas except for one dull, matt, darker patch on each shoe. This was in the same place where the initial application of reno and then polish looked like it was being absorbed as damp and showed as a damp patch until I dried it out (Last week)

So last night I went at them one last time with Renomat and removed all traces of wax and product from the toes, then left them overnight to dry. This morning both toes looked very pale and dry - as I would expect them to.

So I applied one light coat of Renovateur to the toes, and once again the product appears to be leaving a damp mark in certain places - exactly like it did before. This is the place that will later not accept any shine. The leather looks mottled, like it has soaked up any mositure in the Renovateur and left a damp mark. This is not how I expected the product to be absorbed - in this uneven manner.

I have posted a pic to try to illustrate what I mean, which I hope is clear enough.

I would welcome any thoughts as to what would make this happen - why is the product not being absorbed evenly, and why is it leaving damp marks (The same happened with the Saphir creme I applied last time and also with the wax later on)

Any thoughts appreciated as this is driving me crazy - I just want a nice even shine.

Thanks

Peter

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
Hi all

In short, I got the shoes as far as a really nice shine on the toe in all areas except for one dull, matt, darker patch on each shoe. This was in the same place where the initial application of reno and then polish looked like it was being absorbed as damp and showed as a damp patch until I dried it out (Last week)

So last night I went at them one last time with Renomat and removed all traces of wax and product from the toes, then left them overnight to dry. This morning both toes looked very pale and dry - as I would expect them to.

So I applied one light coat of Renovateur to the toes, and once again the product appears to be leaving a damp mark in certain places - exactly like it did before. This is the place that will later not accept any shine. The leather looks mottled, like it has soaked up any mositure in the Renovateur and left a damp mark. This is not how I expected the product to be absorbed - in this uneven manner.

I have posted a pic to try to illustrate what I mean, which I hope is clear enough.

I would welcome any thoughts as to what would make this happen - why is the product not being absorbed evenly, and why is it leaving damp marks (The same happened with the Saphir creme I applied last time and also with the wax later on)

Any thoughts appreciated as this is driving me crazy - I just want a nice even shine.

Thanks

Peter
W,

I think your assumptions are accurate. What it looks like, to me, is that this is a problem inherent to the leather. Since reno isn't doing any good, i'm inclined to think that the leather itself is either damaged in some fashion that we can't see from this side, OR, it was left very untanned in certain areas so it's soaking up all the moisture it can get. My simple approach? Get some heavy duty leather preservative from Obenauf and see if you can't force some oil into it. The downfall? You may not be able to get past the obenauf application to polish and spit sphine them up. So it's sort of a catch 22 that ends up in maybe not ever getting a mirror finish. I'm still very surprised that just wax alone is still getting absorbed. Hopefully someone else can come along with better help.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi all

Thanks

Peter

[ATTACHMENT=3843]IMG_0383.jpg (1,805k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I would put a few very thin layers of cream polish and buff between applications. After that I would use wax polish, again very thin, buff and repeat until you have a luster. I think you need to rebuild the finish, which was probably stripped away. Getting a shine after using heavy solvents takes some time to rebuild.

Wrighty

Reaction score

I would put a few very thin layers of cream polish and buff between applications. After that I would use wax polish, again very thin, buff and repeat until you have a luster. I think you need to rebuild the finish, which was probably stripped away. Getting a shine after using heavy solvents takes some time to rebuild.

Thanks...that has been my approach today. Two thinish coats of cream and then brushing between.

Tomorrow I'll try to gradually build some wax layers up with no water I guess, and just brush to a shine to see if I can get an even finish.

Thx.

Wrighty

Reaction score

W,

I think your assumptions are accurate. What it looks like, to me, is that this is a problem inherent to the leather. Since reno isn't doing any good, i'm inclined to think that the leather itself is either damaged in some fashion that we can't see from this side, OR, it was left very untanned in certain areas so it's soaking up all the moisture it can get. My simple approach? Get some heavy duty leather preservative from Obenauf and see if you can't force some oil into it. The downfall? You may not be able to get past the obenauf application to polish and spit sphine them up. So it's sort of a catch 22 that ends up in maybe not ever getting a mirror finish. I'm still very surprised that just wax alone is still getting absorbed. Hopefully someone else can come along with better help.

I guess that you might be right, although these are decent Church's custom grade and the shoes look to be in good nick. Buying S/H I guess you just never know what's gone before..

Thanks for the help.

paskaldjay

Reaction score
Is there's a technique to remove Stain caused by Tea in Tan colored shoe?
I use MDO Cream & got no solution, the Stain still there. It has been 24 hours since I put my shoes in a well ventilated cabinet & the Stain seems not move from my shoes.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am cleaning my suede chelsea boots again and I notice the leather is becoming a little bit weird.
It looks like as smal wires part out of the leather. Is the leather broken or is this totally normal for suede leather?

Then I decied to follow a tutorial on how to clean suede shoes and started with brushing the shoes with a suede leather brush and then poured lukewarm water and a drop of soap in a bowl and brushed it with a toothbrush.

This is before the cleaning:

Dl4jF.jpg

2HDAw.jpg

SuGLP.jpg

WT28w.jpg

This is after the cleaning:

oqS7m.jpg

wUjfo.jpg

t2L32.jpg

WgDsM.jpg

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there's a technique to remove Stain caused by Tea in Tan colored shoe?
I use MDO Cream & got no solution, the Stain still there. It has been 24 hours since I put my shoes in a well ventilated cabinet & the Stain seems not move from my shoes.

I would doubt that the stain can be completely removed without stripping the shoe - the tea has soaked into the leather and if the color has not lightened after the shoe has dried then it will not lighten further on it's own.

You could take them to a shoe repair to see what their opinion might be. Or you could strip them yourself to see if that will lift the stain.

Of course the shoes can always be darkened if the stain doesn't come out - but I suspect it can be removed for the most part.

I should say I've no personal experience on this one - I only know that tea is known for it's ability to stain and that any stain in a shoe that does not disappear when dry is not going to disappear on it's own.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not certain about that. The Reno'Mat might pull it out or, at a minimum, fade it at lease a little bit. At a minimum, a darker polish could be used to conceal or minimize its appearance.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not certain about that. The Reno'Mat might pull it out or, at a minimum, fade it at lease a little bit. At a minimum, a darker polish could be used to conceal or minimize its appearance.

Thanks Kirby, Reno Mat does seem like a good product to try before taking more drastic measures.

JBMarce21

Reaction score
hey fellas I have recently gotten my first few pairs of shell cordovan shoes, partially for their waterproof(ish) qualities. How might I best further such qualities? I also don't want to go too far and f*ck em up, I won't be splashing in puddles on purpose but I do want to be able to not have to worry too much in the rain if need be. can i get a quick how to? btw I don't want to use a waterproofing spray i think that may change the color

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
water won't damage leather as long as you leave it to dry. So you don't have to worry either way. Every 6 months or so give them a feed with a leather conditioner or shoe grease.

If you still want to add some form of waterproofing I'd use dubbin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads