1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. TheCorporation

TheCorporation Member

Hello fellas, I recently purchased a pair of the beautiful Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut Calf, but managed to scuff the front of the shoe! What type of product would you recommend I use? Thanks a bunch.

2. SHS

SHS Senior member

Some cream in the same colour.

3. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

In particular: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF549_1_40000000001_-1

4. P755

P755 Member

I was wondering, you guys normally applying the shoe cream after the renovateur. Would you guys recommend to apply another coat of wax for protectice layer?

I live in Singapore, so it rains quite often here.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Cream after Reno might be a little too much. I do Reno (or cream if I want color) and wax.

Use tan wax polish also. After a couple of wears and a couple of coats it will be fine (depending on how big the scuffs are).

From my subjective owner experience, this is how I would rank them:
    Fit (all shoes are the same UK size): Alfred Sargent, Tricker's, C&J (365 is a bit generous)
    Comfort: C&J, Tricker's, Alfred Sargent
    Leather: C&J, Tricker's, Alfred Sargent (this is based on softness; reverse the order for durability)
    Qaulity of Workmanship: All are pretty much on the same level with very minimal differences. If I had to rank, C&J, Tricker's, then Alfred Sargent.

Overall, if I had to go for best value, I would rank Alfred Sargent, Tricker's, C&J. They all fit a purpose in my rotation and get regular use out of them... more than my bal boots!

6. silentfox74

silentfox74 Active Member

With Reno, shoe cream is debatable in Singapore humid climate but wax would be ideal for some protection against humidity and rain.

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks for your input. Going to visit Jermyn St. this fall and just beginning some research as I'd like to pick up a pair or two of English boots.

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Full disclosure: I'm a shoe noob. I am in the process of reading this thread, but do have an immediate issue I'm trying to solve. I apologize in advance if this is a simple, noob question.

I have a vintage pair of J&M jodhpur boots. They were bone, bone, bone dry when I got them. I hit them with leather lotion and meltonian. The color and moisture came back a bit. But they were still dangerously close to cracking when I wore them the first time. So I hit them with lexol. Like, a lot. And maybe this is where I made my mistake, but I let the lexol dry on it. They became quite waxy, but were still very dry and prone to cracking.

Should I hit them with more Lexol? More lotion? Do I need to strip the wax first? Is there some other process/product I should be using?

Again, sorry if this has been covered or if there's an obvious answer. And I will try to take a few photos in the next day or two, if that would help.

9. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I think posting a picture would help but in my opinion I think you have to strip it all and start from scratch. Again not an expert just guessing at best.

10. azumi

azumi Senior member

Good day to everybody. Should I use topy or tap on the leather sole of my shoes?
    I searched this forum and I find the controversy about this issue. Someone said that the leather sole needs to breathe, but someone said the topy is helpful to prolong the sole and does no harm to the leather because of the lack of breathability.
    I want to hear some suggestion from you.

11. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

It depends on the environment the shoes are going be used. If they'll be used in a rain-heavy region for walking outside, add a topy; if they'll be used primarily inside, tap them.

12. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Doubled.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  13. azumi

azumi Senior member

Thank you, its a combination because I sometimes walk on the wet pavement (not under a shower, for that day, I would use a rubber sole shoes), but normally I don't walk a lot.
    Could you suggest some e-shops that I can buy the taps?
    Thank you.

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

^ Nice! I showed your posts to a friend over the weekend who was shocked that I was wearing suede boots in the snow.

17. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

18. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Very very nice job sir!

19. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

not sure this is a viable option for you, but I just thought it looked cool :) (since we`re talking about sole reinforcement)

1 person likes this.
  20. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I'm not a fan of topys myself, but that is a fine looking job I have to admit!