**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

I have seen shoes get damaged from water tho... little bubbles rising up and such. i thought cordovan didn't do that tho? i do hear you on the conditioner tho

2. joiji

joiji Senior member

3. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

the "damage" is entirely cosmetic.

the welts and bubbles often associated with shell and water are IMO because people use wax polish on shell, and being a pullup leather the wax can't get into the pores and stays right on the surface. When you add water it gets trapped in the layers of wax and causes those bubbles.

IMO the solution is just to let it dry, and then use less wax or none at all on shell. I find a cream or conditioner is more appropriate.

Shell has a waxy finish...It is quite water resistant.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. paskaldjay

paskaldjay Active Member

It has been 3x 24 hours & Stain still stick in there
    The first day when the shoes stain I quickly use Lexol Cleaner before applying the MDO Cream (I polish with wax a days before). I use cleaner to strip off the wax polish
    But Is that logical some Cleaner would like to remove the stain? From what I learn, cleaner used to remove the old (wax) polish

From my experience, I found even a neutral leather conditioner If concentrated in one point will cause stain in my tan shoes. But it disappear as time goes by 30-40 minutes. This Tea is a very unique case for me. It think it's likely there's Sticky, Dyed compound that sit in it

5. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

OK great. As I have not actually received the shoes yet, I will let you know how it goes!

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

+1 This matches my personal experience.

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I would NOT apply any more conditioner or cream to the shoe until the stain is removed. As this will just add more protective coating over the stain.

You might try cleaning them a couple of more times with Lexol or Reno Mat. Wait 24 hours in between. But this is not sounding promising to me.

8. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Hi all, I wondered if it would be possible to lighten these Loakes shoes a little? I used shoe cream one time when I first bought them which darkened them a little.

Since then, the lightest regular run of the mill shoe polish (my only shoe care on them) I could get is more mid tan, so tends to darken them too.

Lastly, could you recommend a very basic regime founded on Saphir products? Would leather conditioner once every 2 weeks alternated with a polish with Saphir solid polish be reasonable? I'm looking for an abbreviated but decent regime :)

Many thanks

[​IMG]

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any polish will slightly darken shoes, because of that many people use slightly lighter than the shade of the shoe to balance it out. Other than taking bleach and a lot of elbow grease to your shoes and possibly doing a lot of damage to them in the refinishing process I think you just have to live with them and let the lighter color from the polishes impart slowly over time.

For a simple regime I would say saphir renovateur, and either wax or cream polish. Polish in frequently, brushing mostly to revive a shine, when they get dull a slight coat of reno generally does the job, if they still look dull a coat of wax or cream.

I think generally people overdo products on their shoes. A quick brushing usually does a great job of sprucing up your shoes in between full on polish jobs.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  10. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I'd also add that even any cream, such as Renovateur, will appear to darken your shoes if the leather has gotten too dry, just like fabric darkens when it gets wet. What we perceive as "darkening" is the replenishing of oils into the leather. Your Loakes may have been dry to begin with.

11. TheDarkKnight

Brilliant information, thanks Patrick.

So as they do need some livening up at the moment, use the renovator first, see how that helps and if not use the polish too?

After that as you say give them a quick dry brush as needed, using the renovator first and foremost when things dull down, with polish even less frequently?

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would say to start, reno brush, polish, brush.

Then in between wearings just give them a brush. If they look a little dull or dry try just using some reno. When just brushing and one coat of reno isn't doing it anymore then apply some polish.

13. TheDarkKnight

Great, thank you Patrick :)

14. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Any idea on folding ox shoe horn source

15. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

+1

In between full polishing (sometimes even for a couple of months) i buff lightly using selvyt cloth to bring back shine