• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just acquiring some quality shoes, and only have collonil products (leather gel + bamboo protector) that I use for bags.

Can anyone recommend where to get a good kit to begin? Brushes, Saphir products, Chamois etc;?

Hangerproject seemed ok?

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm just acquiring some quality shoes, and only have collonil products (leather gel + bamboo protector) that I use for bags.

Can anyone recommend where to get a good kit to begin? Brushes, Saphir products, Chamois etc;?

Hangerproject seemed ok?

If I were you I'd just make one up as you go along. I use old toothbrushes rather than welt brushes. I use old t-shirts to put on cream rather than a brush (daub excess on lids before applying, likewise with wax flatten the nib on the lid), large horse hair brushes for first shine (rub them on brickwork before first use as it rounds the bristle ends properly and cotton chamois cloths for the final buff. I tend to be quite strict and have brushes and cloths for each colour I use. Then a suitable box with dividers, valet boxes are lovely but I just use Lock and Lock containers because they're cheap and seal the smell in and you can have one for each colour which I find is more convenient.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There or you could get a valet from No Man Walks Alone.

The Valet seems like a good option. $190 is a bit pricey, but shipped for free to Canada, and all the individual peripherals would cost me well over $100..

I just don't think I need that many brushes!

It's a good investment for something that I'll likely use for many years to come? Wish there was a slightly cheaper alternative :)

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hangerproject seemed ok?

If you are starting from the ground up and willing to spend $, is Tricker's Valet box. ~£350 inc VAT.

Otherwise, just some saphir/collonil cream polishes, some saphir/kiwi wax, 2 big soft brushes, 2 big stiff brushes, and old tshirt and used toothbrush are way more than enough.

Your local cobblers should have most except Saphir/Collonil products. Don't really need brand name brushes.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are starting from the ground up and willing to spend $, is Tricker's Valet box.  ~£350 inc VAT.

Otherwise, just some saphir/collonil cream polishes, some saphir/kiwi wax, 2 big soft brushes, 2 big stiff brushes, and old tshirt and used toothbrush are way more than enough. 

Your local cobblers should have most except Saphir/Collonil products.  Don't really need brand name brushes.

I am starting from the ground up, but think that's out of my price range.

The Valet box from No Man Walks Alone looks the best so far, it's got some room to keep my other collonil gels that I use for my briefcase/dufflebags.

Stemo79

Reaction score
If you are starting from the ground up and willing to spend $, is Tricker's Valet box. ~£350 inc VAT.

Your local cobblers should have most except Saphir/Collonil products. Don't really need brand name brushes.
I'm 98% sure that Saphir make Trickers branded waxes/creams, not sure about their other care products though.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those boxes are a waste of money.

All you need is a good horsehair brush and wax polish.

Goodman

Reaction score
So, I came across a pair of Di Bianco's (apparently they are owned by former Mantellassi people) made with Bologna construction and a full rubber sole and heel. I mentioned I had never seen a "better" shoe with a full rubber sole and heel as opposed to say a York or Danite sold and an English heel (rubber / leather combo) and I was told the shoes were constructed for comfort and it was not an attempt to cut corners. The comfort aspect makes sense but I have no idea as to the durability and longevity of a 100% rubber sole and heel. I'm curious if any one here has had any experience when the rubber literally hits the road. Are they comfortable? Will they remain comfortable? Are they durable? I occasionally have to spend all day on my feet so I'm intrigued but I don't want to waste my money on something that will quickly wear down and disappoint. Thanks.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a nice pair of everyday walking boots in Barcelona: Carmina suede chukkas in a sandy brown.

Side note: I was very impressed at the price/quality ratio of Carmina footwear. However, shoes needed to be examined carefully, as their quality control for stitching seems a bit suspect.

So after three coats of suede protector, I could swear the upper on the left boot is just slightly darker than the other. Not really looking to spray a thicker coat on the right boot to try to even it out. Will this difference diminish soon? It's been a day with no change.

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Found a nice pair of everyday walking boots in Barcelona: Carmina suede chukkas in a sandy brown.

Side note: I was very impressed at the price/quality ratio of Carmina footwear. However, shoes needed to be examined carefully, as their quality control for stitching seems a bit suspect.

So after three coats of suede protector, I could swear the upper on the left boot is just slightly darker than the other. Not really looking to spray a thicker coat on the right boot to try to even it out. Will this difference diminish soon? It's been a day with no change.

Welcome to the wonderful world of spray protectors, I never use them for just such reasons.
Good quality suede is easy to maintain, any spills tend to come out with an eraser and omni'nettoyant (Saphir) - you could try that and see if they return to original colour, might be worth a go.

benhour

Reaction score

the difference in the color is more likely caused by the difference in the amount of product you applied !! Generally the protector must be reapplied every month to work properly !! A brushing with a suede brush ll fix your problem but after you ll need to reapply the protector to work properly!

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Berners15 - didn't know about omni'nettoyant. Think I'll pick up a bottle.

So, assuming Carmina is using halfway decent suede, is there really any need to fear little rain here and there if I left them unprotected?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeternum