• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bear

Reaction score
Yes. Although I'll have to do some homework as I don't understand most of the terms used in this topic.
smile.gif

May I ask you if it is OK to proceed with Church's Neutral polish? Is It right to take care of them before wear them for the first time?

Start from Post 1 in this thread and read right on through - that is what I did and now understand the terminology. Took me about 2 or three days to read through them.

Allows you to refine your own methodology and learn more - I just received my first jar of Reno from Kirby and have now started adding Reno to my kit and method of care.

Not trying to be a jerk, but there is so much information in this thread that it would behoove you to read it all.

knezz

Reaction score

How many coats did you put on the bulled toe?

One thing I like to do (as others have mentioned) is sometimes use Neutral on the toe after the colored polish.  I believe this helps create a deeper look and also helps minimize the buildup (seems counter-intuitive but it works) of coats and therefore, minimizing cracks in the polish.

Just my 2 cents...

I used 5 thin coats of brown. Reading above others have used 3 with success.

I did read earlier that some use 2 coats of neutral which give a better mirror finish. I kind of make sense to me to use the neutral. I would think that the clear will give a better shine appearance. I have to read through the thread again because I read that kiwi isn’t a good neutral to use as it appears a bit cloudier (that’s all I have at hand).
I will strip them down and start again.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking for suggestion/caveats/instruction....what is the best color/material to use if I want a Tan darkened, say to a more Chestnut patina? Thank You..

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow...Renomat works so damn well!!

I decided to go forward with the stripping of old wax layers on my AE Kenilworth bluchers. I originally tried using renovateur but it didn't remove the old wax (AE paste wax and kiwi wax) at all, though it did blend the wax fairly well. I then gave Lexol leather cleaner a try on different shoes and while it does work, it takes a lot of product and a lot of hard rubbing. I kept thinking that I was going to damage the calf on the test shoes, an old pair of AE loafers (rubber soled 'Georgetown' model). I didn't want to try that kind of effort on the nicer calf found on the Kenilworth. Additionally, after the lexol dries, the leather is not just dry to the touch (which is expected) but seemed almost brittle.

Last night, I spent ~30 minutes applying Renomat and it just worked so damn well. However, it doesn't seem like a strong solvent at all. It removes the wax but doesn't leave the leather dry in the least. They simply look like they did out of the box. I applied the Renomat like wax polish, small dab on cotton cloth, working in small circles, a section at a time. It took about three applications to the entire shoe before there was little wax transferring to the cloth. I wiped them down with a clean cloth and then applied two coats of Renovateur (buffing in between coats of course). They actually look good enough to wear right now, with no wax. Renovateur is nice stuff as we all know.

I'll go ahead and re-polish sometime this weekend and re-bull the toe. The reason I wanted to strip the wax is that I originally applied to much wax. They looked good at leg's length but I always noticed the issues. Will try to document along the way but it's a crappy rainy day. Good day for some shoe care, bad day for pictures.

Lastly, it takes so little Renomat too work well. Considering it's a process that's done maybe once or twice a year, this $14 bottle of product will last a lifetime.

Thanks again Kirby for sourcing it for us here in the States!

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score
It looks like the shoe is trapped behind a layer of glass. :)

Last edited:

kwhunter

Reaction score
Quote:
Wow...Renomat works so damn well!!
I decided to go forward with the stripping of old wax layers on my AE Kenilworth bluchers. I originally tried using renovateur but it didn't remove the old wax (AE paste wax and kiwi wax) at all, though it did blend the wax fairly well. I then gave Lexol leather cleaner a try on different shoes and while it does work, it takes a lot of product and a lot of hard rubbing.

What I use to strip old wax buildup on my shoes is Turpentine.
I dampen a piece of cloth with turpentine and gently rub the shoes until all buildup is dissolved and removed; then let the shoes dry for 1 day or so after which I redo the finish.
Works great every time, does not damage the colour on the surface of the leather if not rubbed agressively.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads