Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

nope. they are the olive leather ones (not sure if that helps)

2. 454Casull

454Casull Senior member

Anybody try Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil on their shoes?

3. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Start from Post 1 in this thread and read right on through - that is what I did and now understand the terminology. Took me about 2 or three days to read through them.

Allows you to refine your own methodology and learn more - I just received my first jar of Reno from Kirby and have now started adding Reno to my kit and method of care.

Not trying to be a jerk, but there is so much information in this thread that it would behoove you to read it all.

4. knezz

knezz Senior member

No creasing at the toe just hairline fracture in the bulling of the toe on the first wear.

5. knezz

knezz Senior member

I used 5 thin coats of brown. Reading above others have used 3 with success.

I did read earlier that some use 2 coats of neutral which give a better mirror finish. I kind of make sense to me to use the neutral. I would think that the clear will give a better shine appearance. I have to read through the thread again because I read that kiwi isn’t a good neutral to use as it appears a bit cloudier (that’s all I have at hand).
    I will strip them down and start again.

6. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

looking for suggestion/caveats/instruction....what is the best color/material to use if I want a Tan darkened, say to a more Chestnut patina? Thank You..

7. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

XPost from WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition:

John Lobb:
    [​IMG]
    Better view of the shine:
    [​IMG]

8. SHS

SHS Senior member

Very nice. :satisfied: Great antiquing.

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Wow...Renomat works so damn well!!

I decided to go forward with the stripping of old wax layers on my AE Kenilworth bluchers. I originally tried using renovateur but it didn't remove the old wax (AE paste wax and kiwi wax) at all, though it did blend the wax fairly well. I then gave Lexol leather cleaner a try on different shoes and while it does work, it takes a lot of product and a lot of hard rubbing. I kept thinking that I was going to damage the calf on the test shoes, an old pair of AE loafers (rubber soled 'Georgetown' model). I didn't want to try that kind of effort on the nicer calf found on the Kenilworth. Additionally, after the lexol dries, the leather is not just dry to the touch (which is expected) but seemed almost brittle.

Last night, I spent ~30 minutes applying Renomat and it just worked so damn well. However, it doesn't seem like a strong solvent at all. It removes the wax but doesn't leave the leather dry in the least. They simply look like they did out of the box. I applied the Renomat like wax polish, small dab on cotton cloth, working in small circles, a section at a time. It took about three applications to the entire shoe before there was little wax transferring to the cloth. I wiped them down with a clean cloth and then applied two coats of Renovateur (buffing in between coats of course). They actually look good enough to wear right now, with no wax. Renovateur is nice stuff as we all know.

I'll go ahead and re-polish sometime this weekend and re-bull the toe. The reason I wanted to strip the wax is that I originally applied to much wax. They looked good at leg's length but I always noticed the issues. Will try to document along the way but it's a crappy rainy day. Good day for some shoe care, bad day for pictures.

Lastly, it takes so little Renomat too work well. Considering it's a process that's done maybe once or twice a year, this $14 bottle of product will last a lifetime.

Thanks again Kirby for sourcing it for us here in the States!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

10. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Perfect, Lobbs looking so very posh. Nice trousers and socks too

11. SHS

SHS Senior member

It looks like the shoe is trapped behind a layer of glass. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

12. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Thank you.

Thank you. A couple extra layers of neutral, and a lot of rubbing.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

I know I've heard not to put neutral on shell, but what if you're going for a mirror shine on the toes?

14. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

Quote:
    What I use to strip old wax buildup on my shoes is Turpentine.
    I dampen a piece of cloth with turpentine and gently rub the shoes until all buildup is dissolved and removed; then let the shoes dry for 1 day or so after which I redo the finish.
    Works great every time, does not damage the colour on the surface of the leather if not rubbed agressively.

15. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Personally I would never try to put a mirror shine on a cordovan shell shoe, I think it detracts from the look of the shell. I think shell looks best with a good brushed glow.