**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

quote of the day

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm here all week. Try the veal.

3. knezz

knezz Senior member

Greetings,

I have the same shoe also in brown and I plan on bulling the toe. I plan on shining the shoe (without bulling) and wearing them a couple of times to allow them to crease. Once they somewhat crease I will then attempt to bull them and avoid the creases.

I usually begin my new shoes by applying Allen Edmond Premium Polish on the entire shoe, let it sit for a couple minutes then use a damp cloth and begin to rub in the 1st coat of polish as if I’m bulling but stop short. The reason for me doing that is to insure I’m working the polish into the leather. Then I brush for a few minutes then add the subsequent coats of polish and brush. Finally I use a cloth to buff. Is that a good routine or am I asking for trouble?

I did the above with my Moras and after I was done I bulled the toe of the Moras. After the first wear I notice a large quantity of hairline factures in the polish of the bulled toes. Any idea what I did wrong?

Lastly, the bulled toe is noticeably darker than the rest of the shoe? I must confess that I used Allen Edmonds Premium Polish all but the bulled toe and used Kiwi on the bulled toe. Note: when I use the Kiwi without bulling its color looks close to the Edmonds Polish. Is that normal when bulling using color polish?

4. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

The darker toe here is also a function that it is burnished brown - the finish on the shoe is darker to begin with.

As for the hairline fractures - you may have put too many layers of polish on so any movement of the shoe may have caused them to crack.

How many coats did you put on the bulled toe?

One thing I like to do (as others have mentioned) is sometimes use Neutral on the toe after the colored polish. I believe this helps create a deeper look and also helps minimize the buildup (seems counter-intuitive but it works) of coats and therefore, minimizing cracks in the polish.

Just my 2 cents...

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Creasing on the toe area itself is usually a sign of poor shoe fit.

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

Not shoos but... I got a vintage Coach bag from another SF user and did some work on it.

Here's the before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's after I took the pen marks off with some rubbing alcohol and a xylene blender pen

[​IMG]

Here's after some Lexol, Venetian Cream, a coat of dark brown Meltonian cream polish (to get some color back in) and some Obenauf's LP

[​IMG]
    It all looks like the bottom right... some shine on the rest of it makes it look lighter

[​IMG]
    A little bit of discoloration where I took out the ink, but not terrible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turned out pretty well I think.

7. SHS

SHS Senior member

Very nice work :fonz:

8. Panos

Panos Well-Known Member

So, I bought this pair of Church's Catsworth shoes. Note, that those are the "best/most expensive" RTW Church's.

I do have two questions. The first one is about their care, I asked the sales person and he told me to polish them with Church's neutral cream/tube, I already have it so no prob. Then I asked him if I need to polish them before my first time and he told me that there is no need. Although I think that I should do that in order to soften then leather. Given that the shoes are Chestnut do agree with the use of the neutral cream?

Secondly, I noticed some paint marks. Given that I am not a shoe expert thought to ask your opinion about those. I bought the shoes on full price (They did a 10% off because I am regular there) and they are not seconds.
    Here are the photos.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    With flash.
    [​IMG]

Paint Marks:Right Shoe

Note, that the marks look much more worst because of the flash.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

The left shoe has no marks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  9. patrickBOOTH

Ignore the marks, part of the antiqueing done on them. You only should need saphir renovateur and saphir wax polish in the closest shade to the shoe. Look in this thread for care info, it is everywhere.

10. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

recommend putting some obenaufs on a new pair of clarks DBs (leather obviously) ?

11. patrickBOOTH

Depends are they shiny? Are they waxed? Are they suede?

Obaneaufs is going to make them very oily and matte if that is what you want.

12. Panos

Panos Well-Known Member

Yes. Although I'll have to do some homework as I don't understand most of the terms used in this topic.[​IMG]

May I ask you if it is OK to proceed with Church's Neutral polish? Is It right to take care of them before wear them for the first time?

13. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Looks like a sloppy dye job to me. I would have the retailer exchange them for another pair, or if not in stock, have them order you another pair. Even though the issue may not be noticable without a flash, or close inspection, you will know it's there. Scuffs and such are a part of the character of a shoe as it gets used, but to me an imperfection like this on a brand new shoe would not be acceptable.

In regard to polishing your shoes in order to soften the leather: Unless the leather is already dried out, the amount of oil in shoe polish is not going to make a noticable difference. You may want to apply leather conditioner to the shoes if you feel the leather is too dry, and then polish the next day.

As far as using neutral cream, I see no problem with that as long as you brush it well and don't use too much cream as to build up a haze over time. You will want to use colored polish at some point if you scuff the shoe and need to blend it out. I use plain old brown on my John Lobb museum calf without any problem.

However, I would not do anything to these specific shoes before returning them to where you bought them.

14. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

oily huh? i guess i'm gonna pass then.

15. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Is it the Clarks DBs in beeswax?