• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thoughts on the best travel jacket that is smart-ish but not a sportscoat? Spelunked the DWW and PTO archives but couldn’t find anything. Water resistance a bonus.

For a while, I used to travel with this jacket. It's a cycling jacket that Timothy Everest designed for Brooks England. It's also made from British Ventile, so it's breathable until it gets wet, then the fibers swell up and the pores close, so it's water-resistant. This jacket was made for Brooks' short-lived John Boultbee apparel line, which lasted all but one season until Brooks acquired a Japanese cycling apparel line and they killed their internal line.

unnamed.jpeg

The jacket has a bunch of features, such as shoulder straps, hidden pockets, things to hold your keys, etc. It feels like you're wearing a filing cabinet. Inside is finished with Fox Bros fabric. Everest explains some of the features here

But over time, I found that I was more in love with the idea of a specialized travel jacket, and in practice, all I really need is one securable, zip pocket. I like having a big, zip pocket so that I can store important documents without worrying about them (especially if you take your jacket off at some point and run through the airport).

I also found it's easier to just bring the jacket you plan to wear most on your trip, so now I just wear whatever jacket I want for style purposes on my trip.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a while, I used to travel with this jacket. It's a cycling jacket that Timothy Everest designed for Brooks England. It's also made from British Ventile, so it's breathable until it gets wet, then the fibers swell up and the pores close, so it's water-resistant. This jacket was made for Brooks' short-lived John Boultbee apparel line, which lasted all but one season until Brooks acquired a Japanese cycling apparel line and they killed their internal line.

View attachment 1691703

The jacket has a bunch of features, such as shoulder straps, hidden pockets, things to hold your keys, etc. It feels like you're wearing a filing cabinet. Inside is finished with Fox Bros fabric. Everest explains some of the features here

But over time, I found that I was more in love with the idea of a specialized travel jacket, and in practice, all I really need is one securable, zip pocket. I like having a big, zip pocket so that I can store important documents without worrying about them (especially if you take your jacket off at some point and run through the airport).

I also found it's easier to just bring the jacket you plan to wear most on your trip, so now I just wear whatever jacket I want for style purposes on my trip.

That Critereon jacket is great, I’ve seen it pop up a few times recently (for discussion, not sale unfortunately).

Like you I’m considering (as a longer term project) having a jacket made specifically for travel with a zipped pocket etc. No idea what fabric though.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's been done already by the King of Dhaka no less

Full #bespoke #travel #jacket #100% silk #lined.jpg

that button up breast pocket is specifically for your passport or your other preferredtravel ausweis
strategically positioned for ease of access with the right hand

Silk lining too.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the best travel jacket that is smart-ish but not a sportscoat? Spelunked the DWW and PTO archives but couldn’t find anything. Water resistance a bonus.
A field jacket in a non-military or jacketing fabric? A la Ragosta jackets of years passed

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I travel with a barbour in F/W and a water resistant field jacket in S/S. Both has enough pockets and are very wearable.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my limited experience, anything water-resistant wears warm, with the exception of LP storm-system (which does wear warm, but not too much). I mean this to say I personally sacrifice water resistance to breathability.

My favorite jackets are the 100 Hands traveller jackets. Plenty of pockets, and I’ve found I prefer the shorter length (compared to a longer field jacket) when on the plane.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was going to suggest stoffa, I like their water resistant cotton. But I logged in to the mtm section and don’t even see that offered for any of their jackets at the moment so I don’t know what the deal is.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zegna Elements stuff is amazing. Pricey but looks great and performs very well.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my limited experience, anything water-resistant wears warm, with the exception of LP storm-system (which does wear warm, but not too much). I mean this to say I personally sacrifice water resistance to breathability.

My favorite jackets are the 100 Hands traveller jackets. Plenty of pockets, and I’ve found I prefer the shorter length (compared to a longer field jacket) when on the plane.

It’s all about balancing tradeoffs isn’t it? I’m trying to pack light for 3 different climates (mild, cold, cold+wet). I find anything too heavy or dense isn’t practical for transit (airports, running etc)

Maybe the best option is something light with pockets for the transit and a decent weatherproof jacket in my suitcase for the destination

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads