• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot if it was the LA post or the ranchwear post that inspired this search, but i've been looking for a black western shirt for a bit now...I was originally going to grab the Johnny Cash one from Iron heart but it's ultra heavy so now i'm considering one from indigofera and was curious what y'all think of it:

Indigofera-RymanShirt-BlackDenim-Flat-13_2000x.jpg

Also would gladly take any other reqs!

How about RRL?

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well-worn Schott Western jacket in corduroy with heavy fleece lining.
Polo cashmere turtleneck.
Never-polished RMW Craftsman in Brown Greasy Kip.

lefty
Now I just need to get some flared pants
was originally going to grab the Johnny Cash one from Iron heart but it's ultra heavy so now i'm considering one from indigofera and was curious what y'all think of it:
IMO Indigofera makes a nice shirt. Not quite as good as Iron Heart, but they’re also usually less expensive. All of their shirts are thinner than the equivalent Iron Heart so if you’re wanting something lighter, that may be the ticket. Would also recommend checking out Freenote Cloth and Railcar for western style shirts

Leiker

Reaction score
I forgot if it was the LA post or the ranchwear post that inspired this search, but i've been looking for a black western shirt for a bit now...I was originally going to grab the Johnny Cash one from Iron heart but it's ultra heavy so now i'm considering one from indigofera and was curious what y'all think of it:

Great looking shirt to me.

karmaguy

Reaction score
How about RRL?

Thanks for the heads up on the RRL!

Now I just need to get some flared pants

IMO Indigofera makes a nice shirt. Not quite as good as Iron Heart, but they’re also usually less expensive. All of their shirts are thinner than the equivalent Iron Heart so if you’re wanting something lighter, that may be the ticket. Would also recommend checking out Freenote Cloth and Railcar for western style shirts

Yeah ideally looking for something a bit lighter so I think i'm going to pull the trigger on the Indigofera...but definitely loving the stuff I'm seeing from Freenote, thanks for the suggestions!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Check out Bryceland's Western shirts patterned after early Levis Sawtooth. Not as heavy as IH or Indigofera. I have found that the Bryceland's Western shirts shrink after a wash and drying so go up one numerical size unless you want it to fit snug.
https://www.brycelandsco.com/collections/shirts-1/products/brycelandssawtoothwesternerblack

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@dieworkwear Which lighter weight KS Traveler are you referring to in this latest piece?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@dieworkwear Which lighter weight KS Traveler are you referring to in this latest piece?

Mine is a grey herringbone they made for Beams. I don't know the fabric weight, but it's much lighter than the Melton. Without the stiff Metlon fabric, however, the collar doesn't stand up very well. I bought my coat after seeing a similar version on @UrbanComposition. He told me that he brought the coat to Tailors Keep to have the collar relined with a stiffer interlining, which allows it to stand up better. I had the same job done and the collar works better now.

20181225091006128_1000.jpeg
body_mQz55Z.jpeg
q271246800.1.jpg

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no man is going to carry it this season as per @gdl203

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highly recommend the lighter version. I love the thicker melton, but sometimes it’s too much for moderate temps.

Funny story about the interlining: I bought the lighter weight KS traveler coat a couple years ago but was a bit sad that the collar didn’t stay popped up. So I started searching online for a way to do this, and it’s a very rare topic (even for clothing nerds like us) and normally quite expensive (it usually involves a half-moon insert at the back of the neck and should have a shorter and longer piece of cloth on the under and outer side of the collar so that it naturally rolls up.

This is quite expensive.

Then I stumbled upon a costume forum where they talk about putting interfacing in collars for this exact purpose. I asked Ryan at Tailors Keep about it, he was intrigued, we tested it on the lighter weight KS traveller coat, and voila.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it's suggested to wear chunky knitwear underneath a roomy overcoat, but this may not always be practical.

To that, I'd suggest to always wear a scarf, it helps fill up a tonne of open chest and neck space.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no man is going to carry it this season as per @gdl203

Yeah, I saw the previews and the collar seems to stand up fine. I wonder if it's heavier than the Beams version Derek has.

Mine is a grey herringbone they made for Beams. I don't know the fabric weight, but it's much lighter than the Melton. Without the stiff Metlon fabric, however, the collar doesn't stand up very well. I bought my coat after seeing a similar version on @UrbanComposition. He told me that he brought the coat to Tailors Keep to have the collar relined with a stiffer interlining, which allows it to stand up better. I had the same job done and the collar works better now.

View attachment 1694496 View attachment 1694497 View attachment 1694498

Highly recommend the lighter version. I love the thicker melton, but sometimes it’s too much for moderate temps.

Funny story about the interlining: I bought the lighter weight KS traveler coat a couple years ago but was a bit sad that the collar didn’t stay popped up. So I started searching online for a way to do this, and it’s a very rare topic (even for clothing nerds like us) and normally quite expensive (it usually involves a half-moon insert at the back of the neck and should have a shorter and longer piece of cloth on the under and outer side of the collar so that it naturally rolls up.

This is quite expensive.

Then I stumbled upon a costume forum where they talk about putting interfacing in collars for this exact purpose. I asked Ryan at Tailors Keep about it, he was intrigued, we tested it on the lighter weight KS traveller coat, and voila.

Awesome. A lighter weight Traveler is super intriguing since there isn't much of a winter where I live.
@UrbanComposition is yours brown or gray? Looks great

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the previews and the collar seems to stand up fine. I wonder if it's heavier than the Beams version Derek has.

Awesome. A lighter weight Traveler is super intriguing since there isn't much of a winter where I live.
@UrbanComposition is yours brown or gray? Looks great
Thanks. It’s gray, same Beams collab as Derek’s.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only caution is that they can border on costume if this type of pant isn't your normal vibe. But then, I'm at an age where I've long stopped giving a **** about what people think about my clothes.

lefty
****, I’m at that age too

clemente21

Reaction score
On the topic of overcoats, big recommendation for this one that wasn't mentioned in the post:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics