• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2019 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnik

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Long-time lurker (3ish years?) here who is finally getting to the point where the Alden collection is resembling enough of an addiction to where posting seems like a necessity. I'm posted up in Chicago for the next month working on a graduate thesis and could only bring two pairs (the horror), my factory second unlined BB LHS in #8 and these bad boys, new 664s which I got hooked up with from Gentlemen's Footwear last month. Looking forward to joining the discussion – have always loved following along here!

View attachment 1197682

p.s.: how's my Matt step?
Welcome, great handle

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying Matt Step
9440CE08-B9DB-4FC1-B0BE-F23778DC8284.jpeg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a pair of the Alden of Madison Plain Toe Boot on Barrie with Crepe Soles?

If so, can you share your thoughts on them? (Or on any Alden shoe/boot with crepe soles, really...)

I love the look of this makeup, but I've never been a fan of crepe soles, and I hesitate to drop that kind of coin on a boot that I won't end up loving in person.

Thanks!

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Long-time lurker (3ish years?) here who is finally getting to the point where the Alden collection is resembling enough of an addiction to where posting seems like a necessity. I'm posted up in Chicago for the next month working on a graduate thesis and could only bring two pairs (the horror), my factory second unlined BB LHS in #8 and these bad boys, new 664s which I got hooked up with from Gentlemen's Footwear last month. Looking forward to joining the discussion – have always loved following along here!

View attachment 1197682

p.s.: how's my Matt step?
Welcome, Doc - the Matt step is looking good, as are your tassels. :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody have a pair of the Alden of Madison Plain Toe Boot on Barrie with Crepe Soles?

If so, can you share your thoughts on them? (Or on any Alden shoe/boot with crepe soles, really...)

I love the look of this makeup, but I've never been a fan of crepe soles, and I hesitate to drop that kind of coin on a boot that I won't end up loving in person.

Thanks!
Have a couple pair of boots on that sole, and while not my favorite sole, it IS darn comfy. I honestly can't put my finger on why it isn't my favorite, perhaps its the leather toe cap thing, but if I were to rank I would put leather first, commando second, wedge third and crepe fourth. But that is just my opinion. And I would put Waterloc, etc with leather as I'm sure someone would say "What about ........"

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a couple pair of boots on that sole, and while not my favorite sole, it IS darn comfy. I honestly can't put my finger on why it isn't my favorite, perhaps its the leather toe cap thing, but if I were to rank I would put leather first, commando second, wedge third and crepe fourth. But that is just my opinion. And I would put Waterloc, etc with leather as I'm sure someone would say "What about ........"

It's darn comfy x2
In right size it feels like sneakers.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought it was cooking oil before reading. I was looking for a cooking theme in my mind. ;-)
Been there, done that, with cooking oil, ruined a good pair of suede boots with either cooking or lamp oil. Donated them to a good experiment cause because I just couldn't wear them any more, knowing what they were, and what they had become.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Something Fun... Alden Dog (or Cat) Day on 4th of July.

Gentlemen, with the upcoming holiday (4th of July), I thought that it would be fun to do something different and fun. For those of us with a furry (or feathery or whatever) companion, I thought that we could share a picture of our fabulous footwear and our furry friends. Please join @MrDV and I on this on 4th of July.

A teaser for fun...

Alden Canine Day.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

cnation

Reaction score

Thanks!
The only pro in my opinion with the crepe sole is the comfort. Other than that I find it more bulky looking than I want a shoe to be. It’s for sure a casual look. I sold mines earlier then I need to only because I remember other forum users saying how crepe soles ages faster in appearance. They look nice right out of the box but sadly looks horrible with continuous use.
Honestly with that price point, I’ll rather go with a commando or double leather sole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads