• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD500

Reaction score
My post was unclear, my apologies. TSM has an established e-mail distribution list for all Alden irregulars. They also have a "secret" invitation-only Facebook group that often announces what exotic shell irregulars have just come in or are coming in shortly. You obviously know this already.

I don't see how it's wrong for someone to post a screenshot of the exotic list as it appears on the (not-so) secret Facebook group page, when, as you implied, TSM makes that information readily available. It's not as though this came from a personal post on one of the Zapatka's private Facebook pages or something, or that it came from a private email between a customer and TSM...
Well shucks...now that I know there is this private facebook group, I would sure love to be on it.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well shucks...now that I know there is this private facebook group, I would sure love to be on it.

It's been publicly known (i.e., discussed here and on reddit/gyw) for quite some time. I think people who are in it try not to divulge its existence because they all want the first bite at the rare shell seconds apple. Frankly, I support that idea in principle (although I do generally dislike some of the less egalitarian approaches of certain vendors/retailers who will only offer rare makeups to their top customers and give everyone else the cold shoulder, *cough cough* Leather Soul), given the amount of flippers of exotic shell seconds these days, but then again, that seems to be happening more than ever. Perhaps the Facebook group has actually made it harder for the folks who would actually enjoy and wear the shoes to get them. Shrug.

Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
My post was unclear, my apologies. TSM has an established e-mail distribution list for all Alden irregulars. They also have a "secret" invitation-only Facebook group that often announces what exotic shell irregulars have just come in or are coming in shortly. You obviously know this already.

I don't see how it's wrong for someone to post a screenshot of the exotic list as it appears on the (not-so) secret Facebook group page, when, as you implied, TSM makes that information readily available. It's not as though this came from a personal post on one of the Zapatka's private Facebook pages or something, or that it came from a private email between a customer and TSM...

as is the case with many communications of this nature from alden retailers, i think the expectation is not to share the information outside those mediums. they have specifically asked that people not do this in the past. this is how resellers end up in these groups and on these lists, compromising the entire purpose of the group/list to begin with. it's not a huge deal to me, i just find it preferable to respect a retailers ask not to publicize the info/source.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

as is the case with many communications of this nature from alden retailers, i think the expectation is not to share the information outside those mediums.  they have specifically asked that people not do this in the past.  this is how resellers end up in these groups and on these lists, compromising the entire purpose of the group/list to begin with.  it's not a huge deal to me, i just find it preferable to respect a retailers ask not to publicize the info/source.

See my post above. I think at this point it's clear that this method has not prevented flipping...

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that 8.5D "CDI" Cigar shell loafer was actually on the last irregulars list. someone tried to flip it, apparently failed, and must have returned it.

AMD500

Reaction score
Can you guys comment on the 379X Last? This is a new one to me. What does it fit like?

mrfixit

Reaction score
See my post above. I think at this point it's clear that this method has not prevented flipping...

well, as you mentioned, people keep sharing about it. i support this type of sharing privately within various communities, just not publicly. there are a lot more people who read this thread than those who buy, wear, post. again, it's not the end of the world. it's all about respecting the retailer to me. several different retailers have shared info with me and asked me not to post to public forums. if one did so, i think that would be uncool. hence my post.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:See my post above. I think at this point it's clear that this method has not prevented flipping...

I think that part of their strategy for deterring flippers is the $599 cost. Cutting into their margins. Rare shell used to be a $75 adder. Now its $125. Which for the folks who are patient, might as well wait for 1sts rather than take the gamble. This only applies to the semi-standard models though offered through multiple retailers (whiskey ptb for example) . The models done by one retailer you have no choice other than to wait a long long time.

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's been publicly known (i.e., discussed here and on reddit/gyw) for quite some time. I think people who are in it try not to divulge its existence because they all want the first bite at the rare shell seconds apple. Frankly, I support that idea in principle (although I do generally dislike some of the less egalitarian approaches of certain vendors/retailers who will only offer rare makeups to their top customers and give everyone else the cold shoulder, *cough cough* Leather Soul), given the amount of flippers of exotic shell seconds these days, but then again, that seems to be happening more than ever. Perhaps the Facebook group has actually made it harder for the folks who would actually enjoy and wear the shoes to get them. Shrug.

It's funny to me how Leathersoul can't shake this reputation of giving preferential treatment to its best customers (despite seemingly not having rare shell to give out for years now)... when in fact most other retailers do the same thing and no one says a word. Do you think just any customer had a chance at a first quality Whiskey Shell NST Boot? One just magically appeared on the seconds list...

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:See my post above. I think at this point it's clear that this method has not prevented flipping...

I think that part of their strategy for deterring flippers is the $599 cost. Cutting into their margins. Rare shell used to be a $75 adder. Now its $125. Which for the folks who are patient, might as well wait for 1sts rather than take the gamble. This only applies to the semi-standard models though offered through multiple retailers (whiskey ptb for example) . The models done by one retailer you have no choice other than to wait a long long time.
No offense intended but I think the only strategy they have here is making more money. The cost may very well deter flippers or would-be flippers with good judgment but I don't think that's a deliberate strategy.

Last edited:

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is it cool to post a secret list on Facebook when there is an established e-mail distribution list for these?

EDIT - in a private, invitation-only group, I should add.

Secret FB group - by invite only , never knew about that. Sorry can't help it but relate to the plot out of Dan Brown novel (I'm a fan of his work), this group sounds like 'Priory of Sion' ..

Rstldr

Reaction score
So, these arrived today. Couldn't be happier. The size is perfec! Finally figured out Barrie -10EE.

tobiasfunke

Reaction score
Just received my first pair of Aldens (9901) from TSM. On initial inspection, both shoes appear to be defective:

Since this is my first pair, I have nothing to compare them to. What do you guys think?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about the split in the welt, that's actually the construction technique. It's the Seam where the two ends of the welt strip are joined together. Alden doesn't finish it over as cleanly as UK makers, but that looks like a decent job, actually.

So not a defect. Unless you're talking about something else in the photo that I'm unable to see on my iPhone...

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing defective there. These are characteristics of Goodyear welted shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads