The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMD500

AMD500 Senior member

Well shucks...now that I know there is this private facebook group, I would sure love to be on it.

2. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

It's been publicly known (i.e., discussed here and on reddit/gyw) for quite some time. I think people who are in it try not to divulge its existence because they all want the first bite at the rare shell seconds apple. Frankly, I support that idea in principle (although I do generally dislike some of the less egalitarian approaches of certain vendors/retailers who will only offer rare makeups to their top customers and give everyone else the cold shoulder, *cough cough* Leather Soul), given the amount of flippers of exotic shell seconds these days, but then again, that seems to be happening more than ever. Perhaps the Facebook group has actually made it harder for the folks who would actually enjoy and wear the shoes to get them. Shrug.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

3. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

as is the case with many communications of this nature from alden retailers, i think the expectation is not to share the information outside those mediums. they have specifically asked that people not do this in the past. this is how resellers end up in these groups and on these lists, compromising the entire purpose of the group/list to begin with. it's not a huge deal to me, i just find it preferable to respect a retailers ask not to publicize the info/source.

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

See my post above. I think at this point it's clear that this method has not prevented flipping...

5. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

that 8.5D "CDI" Cigar shell loafer was actually on the last irregulars list. someone tried to flip it, apparently failed, and must have returned it.

6. AMD500

AMD500 Senior member

Can you guys comment on the 379X Last? This is a new one to me. What does it fit like?

7. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

well, as you mentioned, people keep sharing about it. i support this type of sharing privately within various communities, just not publicly. there are a lot more people who read this thread than those who buy, wear, post. again, it's not the end of the world. it's all about respecting the retailer to me. several different retailers have shared info with me and asked me not to post to public forums. if one did so, i think that would be uncool. hence my post.

8. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:See my post above. I think at this point it's clear that this method has not prevented flipping...

I think that part of their strategy for deterring flippers is the $599 cost. Cutting into their margins. Rare shell used to be a $75 adder. Now its $125. Which for the folks who are patient, might as well wait for 1sts rather than take the gamble. This only applies to the semi-standard models though offered through multiple retailers (whiskey ptb for example) . The models done by one retailer you have no choice other than to wait a long long time.

9. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

It's funny to me how Leathersoul can't shake this reputation of giving preferential treatment to its best customers (despite seemingly not having rare shell to give out for years now)... when in fact most other retailers do the same thing and no one says a word. Do you think just any customer had a chance at a first quality Whiskey Shell NST Boot? One just magically appeared on the seconds list...

10. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

No offense intended but I think the only strategy they have here is making more money. The cost may very well deter flippers or would-be flippers with good judgment but I don't think that's a deliberate strategy.

11. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Secret FB group - by invite only , never knew about that. Sorry can't help it but relate to the plot out of Dan Brown novel (I'm a fan of his work), this group sounds like 'Priory of Sion' ..

12. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

So, these arrived today. Couldn't be happier. The size is perfec! Finally figured out Barrie -10EE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. tobiasfunke

tobiasfunke Senior member

Just received my first pair of Aldens (9901) from TSM. On initial inspection, both shoes appear to be defective:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since this is my first pair, I have nothing to compare them to. What do you guys think?

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

If you're talking about the split in the welt, that's actually the construction technique. It's the Seam where the two ends of the welt strip are joined together. Alden doesn't finish it over as cleanly as UK makers, but that looks like a decent job, actually.

So not a defect. Unless you're talking about something else in the photo that I'm unable to see on my iPhone...

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

There is nothing defective there. These are characteristics of Goodyear welted shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.