The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Mr. Dobalina, Mr. @bobdobalina... those aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Any massive holes in the soles? That's what I always hear is the main thing that would prevent a refurbishing. I'm curious because may favorite pair of shoes is probably getting near the point to be refurbished. I don't want to not have the shoes for a couple months but I don't want to wear them so much that they cannot really be refurbished.

2. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

are those actual cracks in the leather? if so I could see that being a reason - afaik there is nothing they can do about that

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. bobdobalina

bobdobalina Senior member

I would call them "very deep scuffs" rather than cracks. They don't go all the way through. (edit: I would agree that nothing much can be done for them.)

And Mister Planner, thank you for picking up the reference. Regarding the soles, you can see the cork in an area a little bit smaller than a dime.

Honestly when you see the shoes up close, they're not (in my view) "completely trashed" but they are very, very tired-- a condition exacerbated by my procrastination in sending them back. The only reason I sent them back for a Hail Mary was that Alden has discontinued that shoe and I haven't been able to find any new old stock anywhere. The modified last really agrees with my foot and for some reason that particular blucher wingtip in that particular color doesn't scream out "geriatric shoe" like many of the modified lasts do. In my humble opinion.

4. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Take them/send them to the guys at moulded shoe, they might be able to get some life back in them. Or at the very least see what they think.

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

6. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Even if those are just deep scuffs, I can see why Alden (or any other cobbler) would be hesitant to resole them on a last. Just putting them on the last could potentially tear them at that spot, and then risk an unhappy customer, but either way would probably wouldn't want to charge you for the work, but also would have already done a bit of work at no cost (and possibly used up some material before ripping them). That said, if you promise to pay a cobbler even if he accidentally tears them, he might be willing to give it a try. Of course, sometimes shoes are just dead and it's time to move on.

7. Don L

Don L Senior member

2210's today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. shunted22

shunted22 Senior member

What retailers are even doing lists these days? Only ones I know of are TSM and AoDC- anyone else?

9. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Ravello LWB and AE Truffle McAllister comparison, damn near identical, both with hints of olive from certain angles.

[​IMG]

10. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Moulded shoe has a nice brown one that might be close enough. http://mouldedshoe.com/modwing.html

11. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thank you S for your helpful message.

cigar x aom

[​IMG]

are you sure those are cigar?? yes, direct sunlight

[​IMG]

12. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Apologies as it's been so long, I've forgotten how to spoiler :) there should really be a button in the menu above.

VERY nice - happy it worked out

13. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

Couldn't wait til Wednesday

Lwb x sf

[​IMG]

14. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

I make it a habit to reach out to fellow SF members I know that are my same size with all rare make ups I deem no longer needed for whatever reason. Most reciprocate likewise .. it's called community.. I find you get back in spades what you put out in life.. . :slayer:

15. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

I actually like the Ram medallion as I don't have any Alden with that yet. The Plaza WT boots are gonna be too duplicative to my Grant last WT. That's why I was hoping to get the TSM medallion CT boots. But I think I can wait..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.