• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Dobalina, Mr. @bobdobalina... those aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Any massive holes in the soles? That's what I always hear is the main thing that would prevent a refurbishing. I'm curious because may favorite pair of shoes is probably getting near the point to be refurbished. I don't want to not have the shoes for a couple months but I don't want to wear them so much that they cannot really be refurbished.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are those actual cracks in the leather? if so I could see that being a reason - afaik there is nothing they can do about that

Last edited:

bobdobalina

Reaction score

are those actual cracks in the leather? if so I could see that being a reason - afaik there is nothing they can do about that

I would call them "very deep scuffs" rather than cracks. They don't go all the way through. (edit: I would agree that nothing much can be done for them.)

And Mister Planner, thank you for picking up the reference. Regarding the soles, you can see the cork in an area a little bit smaller than a dime.

Honestly when you see the shoes up close, they're not (in my view) "completely trashed" but they are very, very tired-- a condition exacerbated by my procrastination in sending them back. The only reason I sent them back for a Hail Mary was that Alden has discontinued that shoe and I haven't been able to find any new old stock anywhere. The modified last really agrees with my foot and for some reason that particular blucher wingtip in that particular color doesn't scream out "geriatric shoe" like many of the modified lasts do. In my humble opinion.

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would call them "very deep scuffs" rather than cracks. They don't go all the way through. (edit: I would agree that nothing much can be done for them.)

And Mister Planner, thank you for picking up the reference. Regarding the soles, you can see the cork in an area a little bit smaller than a dime.

Honestly when you see the shoes up close, they're not (in my view) "completely trashed" but they are very, very tired-- a condition exacerbated by my procrastination in sending them back. The only reason I sent them back for a Hail Mary was that Alden has discontinued that shoe and I haven't been able to find any new old stock anywhere. The modified last really agrees with my foot and for some reason that particular blucher wingtip in that particular color doesn't scream out "geriatric shoe" like many of the modified lasts do. In my humble opinion.
Take them/send them to the guys at moulded shoe, they might be able to get some life back in them. Or at the very least see what they think.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if those are just deep scuffs, I can see why Alden (or any other cobbler) would be hesitant to resole them on a last. Just putting them on the last could potentially tear them at that spot, and then risk an unhappy customer, but either way would probably wouldn't want to charge you for the work, but also would have already done a bit of work at no cost (and possibly used up some material before ripping them). That said, if you promise to pay a cobbler even if he accidentally tears them, he might be willing to give it a try. Of course, sometimes shoes are just dead and it's time to move on.

shunted22

Reaction score
it's tough to find Ravello these days from anyone. get on a list and hope your number gets called.

it feels like Alden focuses much more on color 8 and black these days. it would be easier to get a similar color from another maker.

the mayor probably has the most info for you.
What retailers are even doing lists these days? Only ones I know of are TSM and AoDC- anyone else?

gsgleason

Reaction score

Moulded shoe has a nice brown one that might be close enough. http://mouldedshoe.com/modwing.html

Subutai

Reaction score
thank you S for your helpful message.

cigar x aom

are you sure those are cigar?? yes, direct sunlight

Apologies as it's been so long, I've forgotten how to spoiler :) there should really be a button in the menu above.

VERY nice - happy it worked out

mrfixit

Reaction score
Couldn't wait til Wednesday

Lwb x sf

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I make it a habit to reach out to fellow SF members I know that are my same size with all rare make ups I deem no longer needed for whatever reason. Most reciprocate likewise .. it's called community.. I find you get back in spades what you put out in life.. . :slayer:

Last edited:

stevefok

Reaction score
i am more interested in AOC make up!

I preordered that one long ago. Should be here in March, I think. Did you put a deposit down already?

no, i will wait for next pre order as i need to ask Mr Adam to make a 6.5D for me.
I am looking forward to your picture!

I actually like the Ram medallion as I don't have any Alden with that yet. The Plaza WT boots are gonna be too duplicative to my Grant last WT. That's why I was hoping to get the TSM medallion CT boots. But I think I can wait..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads