The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TO Tie Guy

TO Tie Guy Senior member

Happy Monday everyone!

Whiskey Wingtip Boot from AoM

[​IMG]

2. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Cigar PT boots today.

These were in pretty rough shape, so I gave them a nice round of TLC this weekend. New boot laces, fresh edge dressing, and a thorough cleaning (damp cloth, wet brushing, Bick 4, brushing, VSC, buffing). Very happy with how they cleaned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. HenryIII

HenryIII Senior member

Great boots this morning, gentlemen. Went with the ole 975s today.

[​IMG]

4. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

5. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Email Ed Z at TSM and let him know - maybe he'll blacklist the seller from any future purchases.

6. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

Did I miss something? Do you really think it is unethical or otherwise wrong to flip Aldens?

I understand why it raises eyebrows and annoys people. However, the phenomenon is a consequence of Alden's limited production of shell, sparse and expensive international distribution, and nutty shell collectors.

7. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yes. Protect the community of folks who actually appreciate and wear these shoes, not those who seek to profit from it to make a quick buck. Especially with long waiting lists for some makeups, encouraging people to buy and flip ends up causing frustration and disappointment among retailers, their regular customers, and even folks at Alden. I absolutely support retailers blacklisting customers who are known to just buy and flip for profit.

8. stevefok

stevefok Senior member

Yea, not really think he's gonna blacklist him but may at least will bring his attention.

Yes, of course I think its unethical. And I know there is no real way to stop people from flipping but that doesn't make it right.

9. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Some retailers would absolutely blacklist him. He also flipped some Cigar Indys and Cigar NSTs in November (asked $1600+ for them). I bet those were also from TSM.

10. aldennoob

aldennoob Senior member

11. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I preordered that one long ago. Should be here in March, I think. Did you put a deposit down already?

12. aldennoob

aldennoob Senior member

no, i will wait for next pre order as i need to ask Mr Adam to make a 6.5D for me.
    I am looking forward to your picture!

13. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

I look at this this kind of flipping behavior as a symptom, rather than the actual problem itself.

While flipping may cause issues at the very margins, the supply of Alden's "rare" colors of shell and special make ups is relatively limited. In my opinion, there will be plenty of unhappy people and retailers who appreciate Aldens who are unable to get them because of the limited supply. Flippers have little to do with it.

I have sold shoes I no longer wanted both new and old. The way pre-ordering works, there is a perverse incentive to join multiple lists for shoes you may (or may not want), if only to preserve the option of delivery/ keeping them. Prices for Ravello and color 4 have gone so high that I liquidated the bulk of my collection in these colors, and honestly, I see that as kind of flipping trade. Would I have done this if resale prices were at or below new shoe cost? Nope.

I mention all of this because while flipping irks me too, in a way, I do not find it morally questionable. It is a feature of the Alden game, markets, capitalism, and this shell cordovan obsession-bubble.

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

As long as the seller is honest and forthcoming about the quality of the shoes/boots they are selling and they are obtaining them via established means (i.e. not through a back channel that nobody else has access to at one of the official retailers) I see nothing unethical about flipping the shoes.

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Chamois tankers for the NYC commute:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.