The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mdubs, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

people are back- dooring Aldens?

usually see this in the world of watches, especially with Panerai

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Not that I know of. I'm just saying that that would be unethical IMO if it were/is occurring.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

3. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

I think the Alden rare shell game is a debatable topic. One way, it shows the supply/demand for rare shell is high, so in reality resell value is there for people to make profit in some cases (other non-shoe examples can be said with Playstations, tickle me Elmos, iPhones, etc.).

Do I agree with it? No, but it's just a hard thing to manage and control when you got all sorts of buyers (good & "bad"). For TSM to blacklist these sellers sounds like a good idea, but can easily be a nightmare on their end to control it. eBay is just an open field, so the market will continue to be high there. Luckily for us, the SF & shoe enthusiasts community is pretty helpful and we look out for one another when it comes to selling our own items.

With that said, I'd be surprised if the color 8 captoe boots sell much more than retail, but I could be wrong. I am having a hard enough time selling my new color 8 WTBs at retail. lol

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to me, flipping "rare" shell Aldens is lining your pockets at the expense of this community. It seems disingenuous to simultaneously benefit from the discussions and camaraderie of the people here while flipping makeups onto eBay without at least giving folks here a first shot at them for a reasonable price.

While in this case, the seller may not be an active member here, I don't think it's unreasonable for retailers to recognize which customers just flip their shoes and which customers wear and enjoy them. Taking care of the latter category is likely to result in an overall happier customer base, whereas the former will just move on to a different get-rich-quick scheme.

5. bobdobalina

bobdobalina Senior member

Apologies for not reading all eight trillion posts, but how, exactly, does one buy a pair of ravello boots nowadays?

I live in CT and work in NY-- I have given both Madison Ave and TSM a fair amount of business over my lifetime but at neither place am I a "regular".

6. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Sadly you pretty much have to read eight trillion posts - or 50-100/day on a constant basis - to have a reasonable shot.

7. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

it's tough to find Ravello these days from anyone. get on a list and hope your number gets called.

it feels like Alden focuses much more on color 8 and black these days. it would be easier to get a similar color from another maker.

the mayor probably has the most info for you.

8. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

He is not going to get his price. He likely put the high price to discourage the constant nuisance of people bidding $400 for something he just paid $800 for; although if he did want to get his money back he should just return them. Even if he got his price, after ebay fees and paypal fees he is going to clear a couple hundred bucks, seems like a very slow grind to getting rich quick. It is actually a complete waste of time, there are infinitely more useful ways to make money.

I can understand the annoyance to the guy that actually would have bought and worn these but beyond that there is nothing unethical going on here. This isnt worth Ed's time either. And as much as I appreciate the community here and everyone's enthusiasm you would be mistaken to think that this is the only one or that participating here somehow entitles the participants to some preferential treatment.

9. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Well said. Though I hope these guys lose money anyway.

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

People are still flipping Panerais?

11. bobdobalina

Also, this made me sad. Now i understand folks who refuse to euthanize a suffering pet. [​IMG]

12. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

haha, touche

still love my 372 though

13. Rstldr

Rstldr Senior member

990's today
    [​IMG]

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the shoes in question.

15. bobdobalina

[​IMG]
    A bit shabby I admit. But I wore those shoes constantly. They fit *perfectly*.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.