• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

Is there anyone who has been wearing the jeans a lot that can comment on how much they will stretch? I have both a 29 and a 30 right now. The 30 is basically perfect in the top block but if it stretches much it will be too loose. I can button the 29 and it's quite snug but I didn't have to do any crazy contortions to get it closed. I have a feeling it will end up in the right place.

My only point of reference is Epaulet Wilshires. I bought a 29. When new they fit somewhere in between the WvG 29 and 30. Now it's stretched out and is just a hair too loose in the waist. Pretty good otherwise in the top block. They sit pretty low now without a belt.

I didn't measure mine when I first got them, but I'd say they stretch some but not a ton. I'd say you're probably ok to get the 29, especially if you plan on wearing them a lot. Never tried Epaulet Wilshires so I can't speak to those.

space4lyfe

Reaction score
Having a similar problem..Just got my jeans in a 33 and they are pretty tight in the top block and a bit difficult to button so was wondering if I should get the 34 or will they stretch.

taint it sweet

Reaction score

Cross-post from WAYWT:

I figure warm weather is a good excuse to dress like someone half my age.

Ebbets Field Flannels
H&M
blk dnm
BDG
WvG
W+H
I'm more interested in your forearm workout

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is an 11 fold tie. It is not a type-o.

The majority of the ties I made this season are 9 fold and 5 fold ties. I didn't want people getting sticker shock over the 11 fold. Then again I don't think the average dude wears an 11 fold tie. Hell the average dude doesn't even wear a 9 fold tie but we aren't average.

The two navy ties are just solid basic ties. I really like them a lot.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

why is 11 fold better than 5 or 9 or whatever?

Better? It's a very long and subjective topic just like most of fashion.
It's like comparing an Austin Martin to a Honda Accord. By no means is there anything wrong with an Accord. It's subjectively good looking. It goes to point A to point B and it's easy to maintain. It has nice features. However it's not a fine tune driving machine like the Austin Martin. The Austin Martin is a car for the person who demands excellence ( again subjective). The leather in the seats are better. The tires are better. The design is sleek and demands respect, but it's the craftsmanship that really makes it what it is. Not to mention a beautiful engine.
I probably did a poor job comparing the two.

Not many people even have the skill set to make an 11 fold tie. It's a true art.

The 3 and 5 fold tie is the norm. around 7 ***** starts to get real. Most 3 to 5 fold ties are machined. My ties including my 5 fold are all hand done with the exception of my self tipped ties. All the non-tipped ties are 100% hand folded and sewn. The tipped ties are still hand folded but the tipping requires some machining.

The folds themselves are an issue. The more silk ( or whatever) and the more folds should naturally cause more bulk. To much bulk in a tie can create a poor knot or a poor desired look. That's when the skill level of a true artisan comes into play. If you have a 9 or 11 fold tie without the bulk and the tie achieves your desired knot and drape , well sir that's a good thing and it's an impressive feat.

I will have two blog posts about ties that should sum things up better for everyone in the next few days.

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I have an obnoxious question on sizing the shorts, but I'm gonna ask it anyway: Looking at the Enzo chinos size chart, a size 32 has a waist measurement of 16.25"; looking at the shorts size chart, a size 31 has a waist measurement of 41.25 cm, which works out to 16.24". Does this mean that a 32 in the Enzo chinos is roughly equal to a size 31 in the shorts? Or should I get the same size in both?

edit: Now that I think about it, I'd probably want a more relaxed fit in the shorts. I think I'll go with 32.

Last edited:

chrispy650

Reaction score

I have an obnoxious question on sizing the shorts, but I'm gonna ask it anyway: Looking at the Enzo chinos size chart, a size 32 has a waist measurement of 16.25"; looking at the shorts size chart, a size 31 has a waist measurement of 41.25 cm, which works out to 16.24". Does this mean that a 32 in the Enzo chinos is roughly equal to a size 31 in the shorts? Or should I get the same size in both?

edit: Now that I think about it, I'd probably want a more relaxed fit in the shorts. I think I'll go with 32.

I was looking at that too bc I'm also either a 31/32 but I think it's more of a half inch diff no? 1.25cm diff is ~0.50".

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would size up rather than down. That's a rule of thumb I use 99% of the time. In a worst case senario you get the pant or short taken in. You will also probably be happier with the seat and hips.
I am a 35 in both for reference.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

I was looking at that too bc I'm also either a 31/32 but I think it's more of a half inch diff no? 1.25cm diff is ~0.50".

Yeah, seems like a pretty small difference and I'm going with erring on the side of bigger = better as far as shorts are concerned. I think of shorts as being a little more relaxed than chinos in terms of how they're worn. I'ma give both colors a shot, maybe jettison an older pair of W+H shorts since I think I'll like these more.

I would size up rather than down. That's a rule of thumb I use 99% of the time. In a worst case senario you get the pant or short taken in. You will also probably be happier with the seat and hips.
I am a 35 in both for reference.

Yeah, makes sense. I'll post some pictures when I get them if it's not raining and / or freezing out. Kinda volatile weather as of late.

Last edited:

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Actually it's not a stupid question at all. That's one of the reasons I am in Italy. We are unifying all the sizes. Just measure your best fitting pants or what you think will be your best fitting bottoms in CM instead of inches.
It's very easy to do and it's very accurate.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mookiej

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue! I got the 33's and they are pretty tight in the waist. i can button them up, but i was wondering about sizing up to a 34 or not. Just out of curiosity, what does the waist of your jeans measure out to?

Having a similar problem..Just got my jeans in a 33 and they are pretty tight in the top block and a bit difficult to button so was wondering if I should get the 34 or will they stretch.

space4lyfe

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue! I got the 33's and they are pretty tight in the waist. i can button them up, but i was wondering about sizing up to a 34 or not. Just out of curiosity, what does the waist of your jeans measure out to?
16.5 when flat.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Ties are gorgeous. After paying off the bikes I just purchased, I'm gonna try to budget for a tie or two despite telling myself no clothes for a long time :-\. They're just too unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads