• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
It was a 750 euro order... That's the problem. They shouldn't have articles like "shirt made in two weeks!", it's misleading. They need to communicate better. They didn't even want to retain me a customer. Of course I wanted my refund, but I was hoping to hear something on the lines of "We're sorry to hear that, we can prioritise your order and send it out to you in a few days time if your still interested". Don't just take my money and hold onto it when you haven't started the work.

May not be reckless but certainly comes across as apathetic to me.
I was really looking forward to the order as they're all summer shirts and now its boiling and now they haven't even started the order... So now I'd rather pay someone else £100 more per shirt then I would have otherwise, cause at least they'd do it to a better standard customer service and probably quality wise. Ultimately their loss, if they don't understand the concept of retaining the customers you have, they shouldn't exist. Toxic companies to deal with. Human interaction goes a long way subconciously in making these problems into little ones. When its just words on a screen it can be easy to be carried away.

I understand your frustration, and I agree their "2 weeks" timeframe is kinda misleading. However, I don't think you should hold your grudge against a statement in their FAQ.

For one, they have also mentioned that production is noticed in a second email and not directly after order placement, they also mentioned that the "factual shipping date estimate" is communicated once the shirts production start in their second email, and that production process my friend is guaranteed within 2 weeks.

(indeed contradictory statement with their 2 week guarantee as they have put "from initial order to production", but that's an issue with wording as it can be misinterpreted)

You have missed that other part of "shipping date and production confirmation in second email " while reading their site and you choose to continue to ignore that part.

For two, I'm responding with my own experience and I think others can testify as well that it's just miscommunication and you are not being discriminated/disadvantaged. It indeed take around approx 3 weeks to get your shirts despite the wording issue on the site.

For third reason, they refunded with no further questions asked, that is top notch service. They lose a client yes, but they don't lose reputation. Imagine if they lose reputation of a scammer as they hold your money without sending you the ordered shirts..

Now, if you think it's unacceptable to wait, you obviously can buy elsewhere, but revenge shopping at your own higher cost is not the best rationale.. especially now that you need more than 2 weeks extra to get your shirts.. but you do you. I think they weren't apologetic because they didn't understand what the problem is as they didn't know you got frustrated by their FAQ statement.

And as an advice for Apposta staff: chang the wording on the site to prevent miscommunication :)

Last edited:

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
I understand your frustration, and I agree their "2 weeks" timeframe is kinda misleading. However, I don't think you should hold your grudge against a statement in their FAQ.

For one, they have also mentioned that production is noticed in a second email and not directly after order placement, they also mentioned that the "factual shipping date estimate" is communicated once the shirts production start in their second email, and that production process my friend is guaranteed within 2 weeks.

(indeed contradictory statement with their 2 week guarantee as they have put "from initial order to production", but that's an issue with wording as it can be misinterpreted)

You have missed that other part of "shipping date and production confirmation in second email " while reading their site and you choose to continue to ignore that part.

For two, I'm responding with my own experience and I think others can testify as well that it's just miscommunication and you are not being discriminated/disadvantaged. It indeed take around approx 3 weeks to get your shirts despite the wording issue on the site.

For third reason, they refunded with no further questions asked, that is top notch service. They lose a client yes, but they don't lose reputation. Imagine if they lose reputation of a scammer as they hold your money without sending you the ordered shirts..

Now, if you think it's unacceptable to wait, you obviously can buy elsewhere, but revenge shopping at your own higher cost is not the best rationale.. especially now that you need more than 2 weeks extra to get your shirts.. but you do you. I think they weren't apologetic because they didn't understand what the problem is as they didn't know you got frustrated by their FAQ statement.

And as an advice for Apposta staff: chang the wording on the site to prevent miscommunication :)
"All shirts are made from scratch and completed within two weeks" That reads to me as, to produce a shirt. They knew I already paid for 5 shirts already 2 weeks before this. They could've made any shirt and said "We have your shirt ready to be posted now". That would've been fine!!! But they didn't!

Their communication is bad and they didn't want to retain me. I'd rather go to a Savile Row tailor who will match the patterns. Because from looking at their shirts online, they didn't bother to match the stripes on the sleeves to the body. At least with a tailor on savile row, they would get that part right. Honestly if they don't care about setting a first positive impression then they're not impressive to begin with. The phrase "you get what you pay for" stands out here.

They could have said "oh we'll give you a further discount"; "oh we have finished it and it will be posted to you by this date"; "oh im really sorry about that".

I don't know if you're affiliated with them, as I am aware some people are. I do not think its acceptable to says "We will finish a shirt within 2 weeks" then to tell me you haven't even started it. That's unacceptable. Further changes they must make is to limit the first order to one shirt. They should not allow people to order more then one shirt. If it goes wrong it further exasperates things in a way they don't know how to handle it. Really poor service, I'm still not happy. I wasted a lot of my time with them and I'd rather pay more up front for a better service as they don't understand customer service. They know if they didn't refund me I'd be going to recover back my money and that the credit card company will be taking them to court. So it was necessary for them to refund them, rather then they chose to do so.

I just feel like you'd put more care into someone who clearly is spending the cash on their first order. They fail to grasp that.

Last edited:

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
They got back to me in terms of a phone call. They agreed to do a free trial shirt so I agreed to it. They still refunded me on my previous order. It's very likely I will order through them now.

I think for customer service to call me mitigates a lot of damage. There is something about picking up the phone and doing an uncomfortable call that I greatly like.

Last edited:

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Received my trial shirt. I am really impressed by it. I haven't measured it, but the fit does feel spot on, but the collar and shirt sleeve length is just perfect from first wear. The only change I will be making is making the shoulders wider by about half an inch I think.

I think what's really great is that they even let me keep the shirt. And a nice touch was that it was a button down collar with the features I wanted. I don't own a plain white cotton BD shirt, so can already tick that off my list of closet essentials.

Going to place an order with them now. I wished I didn't fly off the handle as much as I did.

Last edited:

Boni

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Do you have experience in providing Apposta with measurements taken on an existing shirt? My shirts are bespoke and I have never bought MTM shirts.

In particular, I am wondering whether I should add an extra 1/1.5cm to the sleeve lenght in anticipation of shrinkage.

Best,

zr3rs

Reaction score
Shrinkage varies with fabric. In my opinion, it does not hurt to err on too long, you could always eventually shorten the sleeves (but obviously not the other way round).

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Correct. Thank you.
Telling you my experience of them below briefly:

- Placed a 700+ euro order as my first time being with them

- Didn't receive any shirt after 2+ weeks, was told they were waiting on me, because I was thinking paying for another shirt. They didn't start any manufacturing for anything. Measurements were resolved already before this point. They didn't chase up on it at all, so I though they were fine with the order;

- I got my refund quickly as I was frustrated;

- Received a phone call days after the refund, the person was pleasant. I agreed to receive a trial shirt;

- 2 more weeks I received the trial shirt, really happy with the overall measurements except the shoulder, as the shoulders were 0.5 inches too small to begin with before any wash;

- Washed it, further shrinked by another 0.3 inches, that's fine, however the shirtmaker must either measure the shoulders exactly right, or slightly wider. You can't have it small to begin with;

- Communicated with Apposta, they kept saying to me about shirt shrinkages which I already know about, I just said whether they can just do the shoulders right. They kept deflecting the responsibility which I found very frustrating. They kept saying "well just make it slightly wider on the system". Well that's problematic, because on the system that have actually followed the measurements really well in all other parts of the shirt and accommodated for shrinkage accurately on the collar, so I applaud them for that. So if I make my ideal measurement wider, what will happen is they either make the same mistake, therefore get the correct measurement for my shoulders, or they'll follow the advice carefully and I make it wider on the system, therefore getting something that won't fit me very well. Do you see the problem?

I'm waiting for a reply from them, but honestly, if you have the money just go with an in-person experience with someone else. It's too tedious. I feel like the person I'm communicating with is not authentic whatsoever. I don't get why they can't reassure me they'd get it right, or almost very closely right. I know half an inch may not seem a lot, but it really is. Turns you into the incredible hulk if it's half an inch too small, where if you really try, you can probably burst the seams out.

Empathy is the lacking trait in this business. They don't see from the consumers point of view whatsoever and think "If I was ordering a shirt, this is what I'd want to see" and such.

Last edited:

Boni

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. I am sorry to read that your experience was that bad.

In all honnesty, I would not have made a €700+ order as a first try, even with a firm of good reputation, since it ususally takes time and some adjustements before getting something good. This has been the case with my bespoke shirtmaker. I will keep on ordering from him, but was after something less costy from time to time. I will let you know how it went when I will receive my firt shirt.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Really crap service. They don't reply lol. They don't know how to measure shirts and they can't measure shoulders accurately. They can measure everywhere else perfectly except the shoulders, making it too small to begin with. Then begin telling me its normal to expect 2% allowance to be off the mark. But it's greater then that. I don't mind 2% allowance if you made it too big a bit, just not too small. Really cheesed off really, they cba in replying.

FirstFormula

Reaction score
I ordered four shirts with Apposta last year some time. A four hundred or so euro order. My first with the company. I was taken in by their fit guarantee, for me that was a big selling point.

So I took some measurements, double checked, got my wife to take them, double checked and sent off what I thought would do the trick.

The shirts came back a bit on the snug side but passable. However, when I washed them, they shrunk to the point of being unwearable. I contacted Apposta and the customer service experience was pretty dreadful.

Responses were slow, incomplete, there wasn’t a lot of common sense in the responses and after many, many weeks they eventually remade one shirt, with which I experienced exactly the same problem.

By this point we were into months and I’d lost faith. I asked for a refund and was ignored until I posted on social media. Once that happened I got my money back and we rescinded the agreement.

It was a frustrating and disappointing experience. The shirts themselves were nice enough if nothing special but the service experience was just dreadful.

If they sort that out, I think there’s a good proposition there, but until they do, in my opinion, it’s a waste of time.

Boni

Reaction score
Sorry to read this.
I have received my second order (three shirts). One or two washes are needed before any final opinion, but for the time being I am happy for the price, both in terms of quality and communication.
Note: I have made the measurements on a bespoke short I am happy with. The shirts made by Apposta are consistant with these measurements. I was afraid that my own measurements on the body might be more risky.

tornado

Reaction score
I got my first order from Apposta recently. This is my guide for a "Regular close fitting" shirt. The shirt was a little loose on arrival, but shrunk about 2% after a wash improving the fit.

Take body measurements 3 times on different days, morning and evening. Take them sitting down in a chair. Round up to the nearest 0.5cm, e.g. if your wrist circumference is 16.2cm write down 16.5cm.

Enter these in your measurement profile "from shirt":

Chest: +10cm to rounded up body measurement
Waist: +7.5cm to rounded up body measurement
Cuff: +6cm to rounded up body measurement

Take the following from the best fitting shirt you already own:

Collar: +1cm if on the tight side, otherwise measured value
Shoulder: measure seam to seam while wearing it
Sleeve: lay shirt flat on table, measure along top edge of sleeve from seam to end of cuff
Length: lay shirt flat on table, measure from base of collar to bottom

No guarantee this will work for you, but was perfect for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads