• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

teknique22

Reaction score
Something's up with their customer service and feels like I'm getting lied to. Here's what they sent:

Thanks for getting in touch.

Please note, all fabrics used to make shirts tend to shrink slightly after the first 7 / 8 washes. This is taken into account during the making of your shirt, which will give the impression of a slightly looser, comfortable fit when new. For this reason, the measurements may be received with an additional allowance of 1cm -1.5cm, which varies depending on the behaviour of the fabric.

Please also note, bicep and armhole measurements cannot be modified
, as this measurement is determined by the fit of the shirt selected. The slim fit, as selected, include a raised armhole and narrow sleeve width, while the regular fit include a low armhole, and thus a wider sleeve width.

Fitting bespoke shirts - Apposta

These statements are simply inaccurate, provided what their own website pitches you and what's been said in this very thread by their CS staff.

Issue #1: Fabric allowance? Their website makes zero mention of this being the case when requesting you supply garment measurements, and various online reviews even specifically note that the fabric is typically pre-shrunk and accounted for shrinkage prior to supplying measurements (https://journal.styleforum.net/apposta-made-to-measure-shirts-review/). In fact, here they specifically mention "if you supply us with measurements from a shirt which you already own, your finished shirt will have measurements exactly the same as those inputted into your measurements profile."

1660131463307.png

Again, if Apposta accounted for fabric shrinkage here, don't you think it'd be very easy to simply mention that?

Issue #2: They can clone exact copies of shirts, but the armhole and bicep cannot be adjusted?

Whoa, whoa, whoa - wait a second. The same exact person posting here under the name Grace had this to say a few pages earlier:

1660131546280.png

As per Apposta, "we have the ability to clone shoulder depth and armhole size." Well, if that's the case why am I being told differently in my response? Which one is it? It seems silly to offer the fact that you can "clone shirts" while leaving out the fact your definition of cloning doesn't include the armhole or bicep, so I'm going to assume that the information presented to me in the e-mail was inaccurate. Why they make these claims / go back and forth I'm not sure but they're already about to lose out on a very loyal customer given the headache this is causing - at least if they don't provide a valid explanation of what in the hell is going on.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something's up with their customer service and feels like I'm getting lied to. Here's what they sent:

These statements are simply inaccurate, provided what their own website pitches you and what's been said in this very thread by their CS staff.

Issue #1: Fabric allowance? Their website makes zero mention of this being the case when requesting you supply garment measurements, and various online reviews even specifically note that the fabric is typically pre-shrunk and accounted for shrinkage prior to supplying measurements (https://journal.styleforum.net/apposta-made-to-measure-shirts-review/). In fact, here they specifically mention "if you supply us with measurements from a shirt which you already own, your finished shirt will have measurements exactly the same as those inputted into your measurements profile."

View attachment 1820965

Again, if Apposta accounted for fabric shrinkage here, don't you think it'd be very easy to simply mention that?

Issue #2: They can clone exact copies of shirts, but the armhole and bicep cannot be adjusted?

Whoa, whoa, whoa - wait a second. The same exact person posting here under the name Grace had this to say a few pages earlier:

View attachment 1820966

As per Apposta, "we have the ability to clone shoulder depth and armhole size." Well, if that's the case why am I being told differently in my response? Which one is it? It seems silly to offer the fact that you can "clone shirts" while leaving out the fact your definition of cloning doesn't include the armhole or bicep, so I'm going to assume that the information presented to me in the e-mail was inaccurate. Why they make these claims / go back and forth I'm not sure but they're already about to lose out on a very loyal customer given the headache this is causing - at least if they don't provide a valid explanation of what in the hell is going on.
Their CS has changed a lot in the last 2 years. I was corresponding with a lovely woman called Caroline until she quit and afterwards the replies dried out and there’s a robotic presence on Instagram. I am lucky my shirts fit well so I don’t have to adjust anything but for the next ones I might just go Bespoke given that I live in Italy.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Do we have a Christmas code this year?

tigerpac

Reaction score
Thanks!! No Christmas special though? They just ran 20% off last month. Guess I'll just wait when for a less hectic time of the year to build some shirts. Happy Holidays!

20% with AppostaXme until 26th

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
Thanks!! No Christmas special though? They just ran 20% off last month. Guess I'll just wait when for a less hectic time of the year to build some shirts. Happy Holidays!

indeed, previous 2 years were very generous with the "once in a year" discount off -50% with a special hidden code on the website. I found it fun and great marketing trick, but I guess it's just not sustainable anymore in current inflationary economy

Contango

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with copying Proper Cloth measurements over to Apposta? Their extreme range of choice of cloth compels me to give them a try, but I rarely have much luck in measuring my own shirts.

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
Annoying brand. Placed an order of 750+ euros, it's my first time ordering from them. They didn't bother to make the trial shirt and send it across. Got my refund now though. But incredibily annoying, waste of my time and now I'm seeking other shirt makers. Why not retain a customer? I just don't get why. Probably toxic bullying from management, and maybe thats why customer services don't care. Maybe nothing. Who knows. I'm bitter by this experience.

I ordered two weeks ago, they said they didn't even start making the shirt. If I was in customer services, I'd tell the production to make my shirts ASAP in front of other orders. Me having to wait for another 2 weeks is redicilous. Their agreed timelines was 2 weeks from ordering date, to the point of shipping it out. This has been my experience. Other peoples experiences seem to be heavily positive.

Angel91

Reaction score
I don’t understand what’s the problem, could you elaborate a bit?

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
So they asked for measurements. I provided it. I waited for two weeks. They said they haven't even started manufacturing. In the communications, they said they'd start once I gave them my measurements.
So when I inquired, "hey, when are my items going to be posted" only to be told they haven't even started it, is incredibily frustrating to hear. I don't want to wait for another two weeks, when I already waited patiently for this.

Not touching Apposta again. The customer service didn't even seemed keen to carry on the order or retain me, so I just move onto the next shirtmaker brand now. It may be more costly but at least the agreed timelines will be honored. Very disappointing experience considering the reviews!

SartoriaModerna

Reaction score
So they asked for measurements. I provided it. I waited for two weeks. They said they haven't even started manufacturing. In the communications, they said they'd start once I gave them my measurements.
So when I inquired, "hey, when are my items going to be posted" only to be told they haven't even started it, is incredibily frustrating to hear. I don't want to wait for another two weeks, when I already waited patiently for this.

Not touching Apposta again. The customer service didn't even seemed keen to carry on the order or retain me, so I just move onto the next shirtmaker brand now. It may be more costly but at least the agreed timelines will be honored. Very disappointing experience considering the reviews!

AFAIK Apposta don't do trial shirts. I'm not sure why you are expecting a trial shirt?

(Ps: Therefore, you take a risk immediately with your first shirt if the measurements are not right, why would you place order for 750+ EUR? ... however, they do have a fit guarantee and they can remake 1x for free if fit is not good, but still a big risk if you need to remake so many shirts in first order)

As for the lead time for orders, mine always have been produced after 10-14 days and shipped within 3 weeks (Christmas periods even). Not bad actually IMO, I think if you waited 1 week extra, you would have good news, but I understand that you want it faster than that.

However, they do state in their policy that they will send email when shirts are in production, so it's not by definition directly after you place an order that they make the shirts. They have probably other shirts to manufacture and it's still a small player in the field so there might be some delays due to limited capacity. There is also an option where you can pay 27 EUR extra if it's a urgent order, shirts get shipped out within 9 days. If you don't take this option, then your order is just in queue where production is a bit longer up till 3 weeks from my experience.

As how I interpret it, is that there is some misunderstanding in how Apposta works and what you expected due to their wording of "it takes us 2 weeks only to make the shirts". If you are unhappy to wait, they just refund you without problems, I see this as a positive thing. Why cling on to a client and keep making "excuses"for the delay while client just want to leave?

Last edited:

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
AFAIK Apposta don't do trial shirts. I'm not sure why you are expecting a trial shirt?

(Ps: Therefore, you take a risk immediately with your first shirt if the measurements are not right, why would you place order for 750+ EUR? ... however, they do have a fit guarantee and they can remake 1x for free if fit is not good, but still a big risk if you need to remake so many shirts in first order)

As for the lead time for orders, mine always have been produced after 10-14 days and shipped within 3 weeks (Christmas periods even). Not bad actually IMO, I think if you waited 1 week extra, you would have good news, but I understand that you want it faster than that.

However, they do state in their policy that they will send email when shirts are in production, so it's not by definition directly after you place an order that they make the shirts. They have probably other shirts to manufacture and it's still a small player in the field so there might be some delays due to limited capacity. There is also an option where you can pay 27 EUR extra if it's a urgent order, shirts get shipped out within 9 days. If you don't take this option, then your order is just in queue where production is a bit longer up till 3 weeks from my experience.

As how I interpret it, is that there is some misunderstanding in how Apposta works and what you expected due to their wording of "it takes us 2 weeks only to make the shirts". If you are unhappy to wait, they just refund you without problems, I see this as a positive thing. Why cling on to a client and keep making "excuses"for the delay while client just want to leave?
They said they'd do a trial shirt because it was a large order. They didn't manufacture a single shirt within the two weeks. That's whats frustrating. The communication was super poor.
  • How Long Does It Take To Make A Shirt?

From initial order to completion, it takes our expert shirtmakers just two weeks to make each shirt. This is unique for custom-made shirt production. Every order (made to measure and standard size) is managed separately from all others and we create a specific pattern for each shirt.
    We will send an email once the order is in production with the expected date of shipment.
This was the communication I received:

"As the order is about six shirts and quite an expensive one, we will provide now create a shirt test to have confirmation from you, and as you give us your feedback, we can modify and proceed to produce the others."

WatchmeWhipWatchmena

Reaction score
So it’s been two weeks and they haven't made your shirt? It doesn’t seem so reckless to me
It was a 750 euro order... That's the problem. They shouldn't have articles like "shirt made in two weeks!", it's misleading. They need to communicate better. They didn't even want to retain me a customer. Of course I wanted my refund, but I was hoping to hear something on the lines of "We're sorry to hear that, we can prioritise your order and send it out to you in a few days time if your still interested". Don't just take my money and hold onto it when you haven't started the work.

May not be reckless but certainly comes across as apathetic to me.
I was really looking forward to the order as they're all summer shirts and now its boiling and now they haven't even started the order... So now I'd rather pay someone else £100 more per shirt then I would have otherwise, cause at least they'd do it to a better standard customer service and probably quality wise. Ultimately their loss, if they don't understand the concept of retaining the customers you have, they shouldn't exist. Toxic companies to deal with. Human interaction goes a long way subconciously in making these problems into little ones. When its just words on a screen it can be easy to be carried away.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 551

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads