• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Made-to-Measure Thread

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unbelievably, it seems there's no master thread that focuses on made-to-measure tailoring. Let's start one.

Post your made-to-measure classic menswear garments in this thread. As with Ongoing Bespoke Projects, photos that emphasize fit are particularly welcome, as are "in the wild" shots. Details about corrections for posture, etc are welcome.

Ideally, this thread will show the possibilities and some of the limits of made-to-measure tailoring for those who want an alternative to bespoke with more customized options than off-the rack clothing can provide.

To get the ball rolling, here's a recent commission that I picked up late in the spring of 2020. This is a deadstock alpaca/lambswool tweed. Adjustments made for my low right shoulder, erect posture, and hollow lower back. Sleeves are rotated backwards to account for posture.

P5110033.jpeg

P5110036.jpeg

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@afterthesuit @TweedyProf @Mr. Six @jcmeyer off the top of my head, I know you guys have made some excellent MTM garments. Please feel free to post, or I can lift some examples of yours from WAYWRN and other threads.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unbelievably, it seems there's no master thread that focuses on made-to-measure tailoring. Let's start one.

Post your made-to-measure classic menswear garments in this thread. As with Ongoing Bespoke Projects, photos that emphasize fit are particularly welcome, as are "in the wild" shots. Details about corrections for posture, etc are welcome.

Ideally, this thread will show the possibilities and some of the limits of made-to-measure tailoring for those who want an alternative to bespoke with more customized options than off-the rack clothing can provide.

To get the ball rolling, here's a recent commission that I picked up late in the spring of 2020. This is a deadstock alpaca/lambswool tweed. Adjustments made for my low right shoulder, erect posture, and hollow lower back. Sleeves are rotated backwards to account for posture.

View attachment 1471968

View attachment 1471969
Great idea for a thread. Who made this jacket? Do we want to talk price point as well? Will obviously be influenced by fabric selection... I assume both jackets and trousers are fair game?

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I am wearing today, photographed a couple of weeks ago. Same maker (Flanigan clothing) and same adjustments as the tweed above, with a slightly wider sleeve being the only difference. Cloth is a heavy 440g hopsack from Harrison's Spring Ram book. Wrinkling is from wearing it all day.

I think the right sleeve is a touch long on this, but it doesn't really feel that way.

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread. Who made this jacket? Do we want to talk price point as well? Will obviously be influenced by fabric selection... I assume both jackets and trousers are fair game?

Thanks Colin. Yes, jackets, trousers, and shirts are all fair game. Even knitwear, if people want to post. Price point is optional. In my case, both of these jackets are from Flanigan Clothing, a relatively new made-to-measure operation that's been making my jackets and trousers since last year. The tweed was a steal, and the hopsack considerably more (about $1200) because of the expense of the fabric.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took the liberty of posting some of @jcmeyer 's Steed MTM commissions. Jon, can you talk a bit about how made-to-measure works for your body, the choices you and the Steed guys made with these commissions, and any changes you've made from first to last?

Steed-MTM-Donegal-Flannel_jcmeyer.jpg
steed-brown-grenadine-jcmeyer-closed.jpg
Steed-MTM-Dugdale-Travel-Flannel-Drakes-Tie_full_jcmeyer.jpg
Steed-MTM-Herringbone-Drakes_mid-crop_jcmeyer.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the thread didn't exist because the lines are so blurred between MTM and bespoke these days.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders on those Steed MTM jackets are amazing. Wow. I prefer jackets that don't fit quite so close, although all of myc current MTM jackets have a pretty close fit, I guess that's just the style nowadays. But in general, the quality of those Steed MTM garments looks really exceptional.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the concept here is pretty interesting from the perspective of how MTM fits evolve and the changes that are made over the course of time. I also think its interesting to see how the construction of a garment and different shoulder treatments impact the wearer and the changes that need to be made to account for things like that.

Ziqianzhu

Reaction score
Due to travel restrictions, just wonder how gents here compare Online MTM programs like Kent Wang vs local tailors.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont post many pictures, but I like idea of this thread. This is a mid grey, 3 roll 2 suit I am pretty happy with. I was happier with it before Covid and before I lost some muscle, so the chest feels a little big to me. I'm probably being overly critical. Cloth is Dormeuil Amadeus 365. What I like about this suit is that its basically unconstructed. Theres a really soft, light canvas, nothing in the shoulder and just a touch of wadding in the sleevehead. Really light and easy to wear and while I dont think it looks it, it feels kind of laid back and casual. Made by a local guy. Shirt is an older one from the same place and I've changed the collar that I use now. The tie is an old Gitman I've had for 20 years that I just love. Shoes are Vass for those keeping score at home.
PXL_20201008_162126756.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont post many pictures, but I like idea of this thread. This is a mid grey, 3 roll 2 suit I am pretty happy with. I was happier with it before Covid and before I lost some muscle, so the chest feels a little big to me. I'm probably being overly critical. Cloth is Dormeuil Amadeus 365. What I like about this suit is that its basically unconstructed. Theres a really soft, light canvas, nothing in the shoulder and just a touch of wadding in the sleevehead. Really light and easy to wear and while I dont think it looks it, it feels kind of laid back and casual. Made by a local guy. Shirt is an older one from the same place and I've changed the collar that I use now. The tie is an old Gitman I've had for 20 years that I just love. Shoes are Vass for those keeping score at home.
View attachment 1473856
Also Steed MTM?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads