• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Made-to-Measure Thread

joorinainen

Reaction score
I feel like this is the inevitable final post to every other thread on this site asking for suggestions haha.

Jokes aside, I also have pretty big upper arms (my consolation prize at the genetic lottery after I didn't get the height or sharp the jawline or the abs or the...er....the endowment) and found that some MTMs do allow for biceps measurements. Which companies are you looking at? Do you live near a major US city? If so, some online MTMs have in-person showrooms where they can take more measurements than what their websites allow. Additionally, a good alterations tailor can open up RTW arms a bit if they have to. I have a few SuitSupply jackets, all of which required a lot of alterations to get them to fit right, and they tailor was able to loosen up the biceps areas for like $20.

The shoulder divots is a separate issue which might be partially improved by a better fitting upper arm, but typically has more to do with the overall shape of the armhole than the size of the arm itself.

My constant problem with RTW and even MTM is that my upper body is too big and especially arms. With Suitsupply jackets my Custom made measurement for "Bicep Around" is 28cm, "Upper arm and armhole" is +1cm and "Armhole" +1cm.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Many SFers and others like LS Mens Clothing in NYC.
I have no personal experience with them.

I had my brother get a MTM suit from LS for my wedding. He had his made up in a 13oz Holland & Sherry. I think it came out well. The suits are made by Coppley and have a very classic and a modern American style. Izzy did a good job of fitting him and he looks good in it. If your intention is call attention to your suit, it's not the flashiest, but it's better than other New York MTM I've tried. It's a no-BS kind of place and I would visit LS.

Personally, I have a wardrobe full of Meyer & Morimer's MTM trousers...around a dozen I think. I live in those trousers on daily basis and I highly recommend seeing Paul when he visits NYC next. They're made in the UK and is hand-finished all at at a very reasonable price.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like we need to do a much better job at promoting our MTM business...

TC11201

Reaction score
You do! Fwiw, NMWA did a SC for me from Sartoria Carrara last winter. Fox Bros fabric, turned out really well. Greg did the fitting/measurement using a base RTW model with tweaks to eliminate some bunching in the back right below the neck (along with a couple of other sizing changes). Very efficient and easy process, Greg really knows his stuff, everything was as promised and in the promised time frame (no mean feat in a Covid-delayed world). It’ll honestly make it difficult to go back to my long time bespoke tailors given the quality of the SC and the significantly more attractive price point. I’m planning the next one…

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You do! Fwiw, NMWA did a SC for me from Sartoria Carrara last winter. Fox Bros fabric, turned out really well. Greg did the fitting/measurement using a base RTW model with tweaks to eliminate some bunching in the back right below the neck (along with a couple of other sizing changes). Very efficient and easy process, Greg really knows his stuff, everything was as promised and in the promised time frame (no mean feat in a Covid-delayed world). It’ll honestly make it difficult to go back to my long time bespoke tailors given the quality of the SC and the significantly more attractive price point. I’m planning the next one…

They should definitely boost their MTM more.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Second the No Man Walks Alone MTM program. Have two sport coats and a suit on the way this fall from their Carrara line. Soon, I’ll get some MTM Rota trousers made.

Echoing @TC11201‘s comments, Greg knows his stuff when it comes to what can be adjusted in an MTM pattern, and has a great eye for color and fantastic fabric selections. my second sport coat commission, I asked for a semi casual blue linen sport coat, something that could go with grey fresco trousers, or casual chinos or jeans, Greg pulled out three books, showed me several swatches, but landed on one, and basically said, this is the one. And guess what, it was the one. It’s the perfect shade of blue (mid blue, almost like a medium shade of denim) solbiati linen, that rumples instead of creasing, looks great with everything previously mentioned, and fit is spot on. (Pardon my lack of photography skillz)

B7A1FC46-7F25-429E-A25B-94090095E355.jpeg

Would recommend.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second the No Man Walks Alone MTM program. Have two sport coats and a suit on the way this fall from their Carrara line. Soon, I’ll get some MTM Rota trousers made.

Echoing @TC11201‘s comments, Greg knows his stuff when it comes to what can be adjusted in an MTM pattern, and has a great eye for color and fantastic fabric selections. my second sport coat commission, I asked for a semi casual blue linen sport coat, something that could go with grey fresco trousers, or casual chinos or jeans, Greg pulled out three books, showed me several swatches, but landed on one, and basically said, this is the one. And guess what, it was the one. It’s the perfect shade of blue (mid blue, almost like a medium shade of denim) solbiati linen, that rumples instead of creasing, looks great with everything previously mentioned, and fit is spot on. (Pardon my lack of photography skillz)

View attachment 1818335

Would recommend.

Comparable to your Ring Jacket stuff?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys

we’ll do an MTM trunk show, maybe some drinks, in September to give a little visibility to the program (and have a little booze between friends)

shortlefty

Reaction score
Thanks guys

we’ll do an MTM trunk show, maybe some drinks, in September to give a little visibility to the program (and have a little booze between friends)

Could you explain your mtm offerings a bit more in detail? Not sure if the website has a whole ton or I'm not looking in the right place

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Looks like men's warehouse

This is why I hate this community sometimes. Pompous assholes with comments like this.This young man could be very new into suiting and this is his comment from someone. Nice job

The damn thing is, regardless of how you feel about the denizens here and how they stack up against a Real Housewife on the biatch scale, this was not even the right time for a snarky jab, as it actually looks pretty good from here, despite OP not posing in that stiff arms-down position that we all do when photographed in tailoring.

@Andrew0409 Not to put you on the spot, but which Scabal book is that from? Most of my wardrobe came from when I lived where we had actual seasons, but since moving to California, I've been wanting to pull the trigger on something in that shade/weight/texture, for pretending like I am an Italian playboy living a life of leisure on the French Riviera who counts amongst his mistresses both Sofia Loren and Audrey Hepburn, when really I am just traveling to Long Beach CA or Tampa FL or something bleh like that, and only for work when I do.

BBSlayer

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The damn thing is, regardless of how you feel about the denizens here and how they stack up against a Real Housewife on the biatch scale, this was not even the right time for a snarky jab, as it actually looks pretty good from here, despite OP not posing in that stiff arms-down position that we all do when photographed in tailoring.

@Andrew0409 Not to put you on the spot, but which Scabal book is that from? Most of my wardrobe came from when I lived where we had actual seasons, but since moving to California, I've been wanting to pull the trigger on something in that shade/weight/texture, for pretending like I am an Italian playboy living a life of leisure on the French Riviera who counts amongst his mistresses both Sofia Loren and Audrey Hepburn, when really I am just traveling to Long Beach CA or Tampa FL or something bleh like that, and only for work when I do.

I dont get the comment either, I’ve seen more photos on here that look like something closer to what mens warehouse offers in terms of style.

it looked nice and fun to me, something the exact opposite of mens warehouse.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why I hate this community sometimes. Pompous assholes with comments like this.This young man could be very new into suiting and this is his comment from someone. Nice job
Paying MTM $1000+ for large armholes, high buttoning stance, non existent lapels and then pushing a coupon code for discount (which usually means kickback) (he actually removed the promotion part) is why I made a comment.

If he didn't mention his discount code, I wouldn't have said ****.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't see why I can't take a jab at a guy promoting stuff from a company that again "uses Savile Row fabrics, but not the price tag" and again uses some unknown factory in Asia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads