• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Reaction score
Does anyone have up-to-date advice about where I am most likely to have the best alterations outcome for some Brooks Brothers suits purchased online during the pandemic sales now that the Madison Avenue flagship is closed? Is there a strong reason to go to one of the remaining Brooks Brothers stores, and if so do you know which still have the best tailoring talent? Or should I try another tailor (preferably in midtown near Grand Central)?

The scope of the alterations would be cuffing the trousers, lengthening the sleeves, and any other necessary minor adjustments. I bought my regular size but I am not good at assessing the fit of garments on myself, so I’ll need someone I can trust will guide me honestly through what is needed without extra upselling.

Thank you so much for sharing your collective wisdom.

Following up on this for others' information - I called the Rockefeller Center BB store and they said they always have one or two tailors on staff whenever open and they do the work in-house. I visited and the tailor who took care of me said he used to work at the Madison Avenue Flagship. Total was about $100 per suit for all the necessary adjustments.

dako

Reaction score
Looking for someone to make tweed/wool trousers (thinking Holland & Sherry) with a higher rise and cut to fit over cowboy boots. Any suggestions?

i live in Brooklyn but willing to travel.

paulraphael

Reaction score
I'm looking for a tailor to replace the buttons on a shirt. I don't like the original buttons, but like the way they're attached ... with a machine that sews them with a bit of a shank that sets them off of the shirt body.

Does anyone know if any tailors are able to machine-sew buttons like this?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so these guys were in East Village before?

I have never tried them but they're one subway station away from me, $5 for hemming feels like scamy stupid cheap though... probably not a good idea to euro hem jeans at the cheapest place you can find, but got to say I'm tempted, anyone tried them?

noobanker

Reaction score
I just got a RTW Attolini suit that needs some alterations - sleeve lengthening (easy, working button holes but don't need to move them), shorten the inseam, perhaps take in the waist a bit (if possible install side adjuster), and let out some room in the seat (maybe the hardest in my past experience w/ other tailors).

I rather like this suit, and would like to take it to someone who is skilled and can make the right changes. In the past, I've had tailors who made silly suggestions or altered pants using a quick and dirty approach, ruining the silhouette/fit.

Any recommendations?

On Wazin, who seems to be a popular forum recommendation for NYC alterations tailor -- I had Wazin work on my polo coat before, and he made a suggestion to take in the waist, which was not what I took it in for; unfortunately that was stylistically not the right thing to do, and the silhouette has been completely ruined when the buttons are closed.
Given that experience, I'm not entirely sure if I should take it into Wazin again.

Also does anyone have recommendations for a dry cleaner in Jersey City?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hum, hard to say, if it's a style choice then you might run into that with the next alteration guy, I mean whether to take in the waist or not is your choice, do you feel confident enough to make the judgement call now or you still want someone to dictate.

edit: alternative take a friend who you trust with you, he could be your "is this too slim or too loose guide?"

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the LES. There’s a few in the area, Tailoring Room on Clinton, the guy on Stanton, and I think that spot on Orchard near Self Edge is still there.

noobanker

Reaction score
hum, hard to say, if it's a style choice then you might run into that with the next alteration guy, I mean whether to take in the waist or not is your choice, do you feel confident enough to make the judgement call now or you still want someone to dictate.

edit: alternative take a friend who you trust with you, he could be your "is this too slim or too loose guide?"

I have much better judgment on fit now, just need someone who is technically proficient enough to do it the "right" way. Perhaps their stylistic judgment is not important.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typically, a waist that was taken in, can be let out. Alteration tailors rarely bother cutting anything, they just reposition the seams and leave the allowance.

have you asked Sam to reverse the alteration and let it out? Or if you want nothing to do with Sam, you could ask another tailor to un-ruin the coat.

noobanker

Reaction score
Typically, a waist that was taken in, can be let out. Alteration tailors rarely bother cutting anything, they just reposition the seams and leave the allowance.

have you asked Sam to reverse the alteration and let it out? Or if you want nothing to do with Sam, you could ask another tailor to un-ruin the coat.

I should try w/ Sam; haven't done it yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads