• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

brianoh

Reaction score
7B25E569-1E1F-434F-BEDE-4172E7F4D030.jpeg

Is this about right in midtown nyc? Seems expensive but want it done correctly

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it's reasonable and especially reasonable for NYC. If they worked on the side vents when reducing the sides and opened the armholes, it's a bargain.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this looks like a pretty significant alteration of the jacket. I’m sure the suit is worth it to you. Pricing seems in line with what I’ve seen from good alteration tailors. IMO at that price, the most important is that you’re happy with the results and that the tailor is willing to adjust / fix what needs adjusting.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And that's my reason of using Sam I suppose, he is good and consistent, I think there are a few member who had good results from other for cheaper (or you take the easy stuff to others then the harder stuff to Sam) it was just too much hassle for me, I rather pay more and get "known quantity"

Reaction score
Does anyone have up-to-date advice about where I am most likely to have the best alterations outcome for some Brooks Brothers suits purchased online during the pandemic sales now that the Madison Avenue flagship is closed? Is there a strong reason to go to one of the remaining Brooks Brothers stores, and if so do you know which still have the best tailoring talent? Or should I try another tailor (preferably in midtown near Grand Central)?

The scope of the alterations would be cuffing the trousers, lengthening the sleeves, and any other necessary minor adjustments. I bought my regular size but I am not good at assessing the fit of garments on myself, so I’ll need someone I can trust will guide me honestly through what is needed without extra upselling.

Thank you so much for sharing your collective wisdom.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
ANGELO’S SHOE REPAIR - 40 Reviews - Shoe Repair - 268 14th St, Brooklyn, NY - Phone Number (yelp.com)

Been to this guy several times. For my first job, had a pair of heels replaced on my Carmina Cordovan oxfords with Vibram heels, 30 dollars. Second job... Edward Green Dover full sole replacement (he doesn't have Danite soles, so I opted for the Vibram equivalent). 95 dollars. Very nice solid job, clean stitching all around. I asked him about metal toe tips and he quoted me 50 dollars.

Where all the Brooklyn peeps at?

I just had Angelo’s put in flush tips. It cost me $45.

The other benefit to Angelo’s — at least for me — is that one of my favorite Brooklyn pizza places is close by. Plus, my route takes me past my favorite taco truck (or their restaurant).

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had Angelo’s put in flush tips. It cost me $45.

The other benefit to Angelo’s — at least for me — is that one of my favorite Brooklyn pizza places is close by. Plus, my route takes me past my favorite taco truck (or their restaurant).

Joe's in Park Slope?

I'd say Minas Shoe Repair is far better than Angelo's personally.

I didn't realize you were in Park Slope. Next time I'm in Brooklyn, let's hang. I'll be back in December. I grew up in Park Slope and my spot in Brooklyn is in Windsor Terrace/Kensington now.

pwbower

Reaction score
Does anyone have up-to-date advice about where I am most likely to have the best alterations outcome for some Brooks Brothers suits purchased online during the pandemic sales now that the Madison Avenue flagship is closed? Is there a strong reason to go to one of the remaining Brooks Brothers stores, and if so do you know which still have the best tailoring talent? Or should I try another tailor (preferably in midtown near Grand Central)?

The scope of the alterations would be cuffing the trousers, lengthening the sleeves, and any other necessary minor adjustments. I bought my regular size but I am not good at assessing the fit of garments on myself, so I’ll need someone I can trust will guide me honestly through what is needed without extra upselling.

Thank you so much for sharing your collective wisdom.
Everyone will tell you Sam Wazin, but I had a bad experience there and won't be going back. I've since been visiting The Tailoring Room. They're lovely people who really seem to care. They do excellent work, and the prices are a tad below average for NYC.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you elaborate? I’m interested in hearing what went wrong with Sam.

people here recommend Wazin for a reason: we’re happy with his work. Nothing more to it.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Joe's in Park Slope?

I'd say Minas Shoe Repair is far better than Angelo's personally.

I didn't realize you were in Park Slope. Next time I'm in Brooklyn, let's hang. I'll be back in December. I grew up in Park Slope and my spot in Brooklyn is in Windsor Terrace/Kensington now.

Luigi’s.

I’m in Bay Ridge.

Minas is in Queens now, aren’t they? I would be fine with running into their old locale, but Queens is a pain to get to from my corner of Brooklyn.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luigi’s.

I’m in Bay Ridge.

Minas is in Queens now, aren’t they? I would be fine with running into their old locale, but Queens is a pain to get to from my corner of Brooklyn.

Yes, sadly. They do have a mail service.

And Luigi's is real great.

But the best pizza in America is Sam's in Cobble Hill on Kane and court, near the Cobble Hill movie theatre.

Did you get lulu or triumph? I'm partial to triumph. I had a pair of aldens done with lulu and I like the brass better.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for tailoring: I've had good experience with Kingbridge tailoring and dry cleaning. I had some waist coats taken in and a cashmere jacket repaired and altered there. I've not had them do more extensive work, but the prices were good and the work was great.

They're located in Brooklyn on Livingston street directly across from Macy's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads