• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I checked tailoring room also and was surprised at the large range.

Just called Wazin and was quoted $155.

He charges sales tax, so total should be $168.76.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think if you just do alteration yes, not sure if this still holds if the business doing things other than alteration (he does make as well, or he just couldn't be bother with the paperwork to chop them out)

PSNY

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good tailor that can handle denim in Manhattan?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He charges sales tax, so total should be $168.76.

Name checks out.

Any recommendations on spot that works on knitwear? In NYC. Thanks!

French-American Reweaving in Midtown (cash only)
Alter-Knit (send in but NYC)

Both are good, the first was much quicker turnaround.

Megakurth

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a tailor or cobbler who can alter braces/suspenders? I’ve asked a few alterations tailors and haven’t found any luck.

A12321

Reaction score
I know a lot of folks have had good luck with Wazin, but I haven't had luck with anything more than basic alterations like shortening sleeves from the cuff or tapering legs. My local dry cleaner tailor can do this reasonably well for less.

I've taken Sam a number of jackets and I've told him that I would like it to fit as well as possible and after paying a decent amount I have received the jackets that when taking them home the back is a mess. Most recently, I took a Brioni tuxedo to have the pant legs finished and to have it fit better. I explicitly stated that it was for my wedding and I wanted it altered to that it fit perfectly.

From the front it looks OK but the back looked terrible--or at least to me. This was after the charge of about $450. You'll also note that collar roll that wasn't addressed. I could have gone back to Wazin and demanded that he fix it, but frankly, I didn't want to waste my time by taking it back.

I subsequently took it to my bespoke tailor when he was visiting New York and he said that my left shoulder is higher than my right shoulder and he would have to remove the sleeve and bring the back panel up a bit. A bit of surgery--but it wasn't impossible.

Based on his reputation on this forum, I expected a level of detail and an eye from Wazin. But below is what I received. As he doesn't have a mirror for me to examine the back at his shop, I asked him if it looked good to him. He said "yes it looks great". To be fair he did take in the sides a bit and give it some shape but this is an incomplete job at best, at least in my book.

View attachment 1734915

I'll give some of the others here a shot in the future if I need work done. Dashnor sounds like he may be a good alternative.
Your post was pretty enlightening. I thought I was the only annoying one when I came to tailoring. I always feel that maybe I'm a bit too fastidious and that the tailors are all right. Your post highlights exactly the same type of issues I run into with tailors in NYC. I use 2 tailors who are not that great and don't really listen to what I want. Sometimes their work is perfect - other times it comes out worse and I wish I never touched it. I sometimes take things that tailor-1 screwed up to tailor-2 to fix. And visa versa. I've been there before - spending $450 on tailoring still not getting back exactly what needed to be done and is why I spend all my time trying to find rtw stuff that just fits.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Your post was pretty enlightening. I thought I was the only annoying one when I came to tailoring. I always feel that maybe I'm a bit too fastidious and that the tailors are all right. Your post highlights exactly the same type of issues I run into with tailors in NYC. I use 2 tailors who are not that great and don't really listen to what I want. Sometimes their work is perfect - other times it comes out worse and I wish I never touched it. I sometimes take things that tailor-1 screwed up to tailor-2 to fix. And visa versa. I've been there before - spending $450 on tailoring still not getting back exactly what needed to be done and is why I spend all my time trying to find rtw stuff that just fits.
Terry Haste from London's Kent & Haste was kind enough to do an alteration to that Brioni tux and it ended up looking great at our wedding. I've almost given up hope on finding a decent tailor in New York to do anything more than altering cuffs on trousers or some basic things.

Another London tailor recommended L&S Custom (on 61st St, not to be confused by the serviceable MTM shop LS Custom) and I might take some winter coats there for some minor adjustments.

Megakurth

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a tailor in NYC who can alter pants? I haven’t been happy with Wazin’s work (and have a real bad taste in my mouth after trying his MTM jeans which were atrocious, supposed to be repaired, and ended up ghosted)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads