• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Devil's Lair - The ONI Denim Thread

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Terry Mac's 'Tache here are some of the pictures that I got. I personally really like the arcs on the back pocket, so I got them from overseas so that they would have the arcs. US (and I believe UK) vendors are not allowed to sell them with arcs due to patents held by Levis. Like I said, the fabric, the color, the slub is just amazing.

View attachment 1879163

View attachment 1879165

View attachment 1879166

View attachment 1879167

View attachment 1879168

View attachment 1879169

View attachment 1879170

View attachment 1879171

View attachment 1879172

View attachment 1879173

View attachment 1879174

View attachment 1879175

View attachment 1879176

View attachment 1879177

View attachment 1879178

And here are some pictures with them in use...

View attachment 1879210

View attachment 1879211

View attachment 1879212

-Mike

Is this the straight cut that you got? && How did you end up sizing?
I have a pair of 622ZR black that are down 1 size from my 'regular' pants size (Oni = 29; generally take US30/EU46). The few data points I've found say I should take 1 lower than my 'regular' Oni size, but measurements for the ONI Denim 255-ASKS in 28 seem crazy tight.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Yeah, I have been looking at them. Still not sure as I can only find ones with the rear pocket arctuates and all the rest of mine are without the arctuates. Are you the one who posted the review on reddit of the 255 cut? They look very beautiful and I am very tempted now. Would love to see pics!

I did not post on Reddit about them. I have plenty of pictures if you want to see pictures of them. Just let me know!

-Mike

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Is this the straight cut that you got? && How did you end up sizing?
I have a pair of 622ZR black that are down 1 size from my 'regular' pants size (Oni = 29; generally take US30/EU46). The few data points I've found say I should take 1 lower than my 'regular' Oni size, but measurements for the ONI Denim 255-ASKS in 28 seem crazy tight.

I went with my True to Size on the ASKS. As you noted they are a tighter cut, however they do have some stretch room, but not as much as the SECRET (ZR). I went with the tapered cut on them, or the 611-ASKS cut.

-Mike

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently discovered this brand after being out of the Japanese denim game for a while when my 10-pair collection all stop fitting to various degrees (finally got serious about squatting).

The 679 model has reignited my love for jeans, and I now have it in secret denim (ZR), dark indigo (BZR), and have a pair of the 16 oz. Kiwami on their way from Denimio as we speak. The cut plus loose/soft weave finally hit the sweet spot for me with something that's got enough room in the thighs when sitting, doesn't have an insanely high rise/can be worn just above the hips, but still fitted/tapered enough to work with a variety of footwear. Tremendous product.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ready to start on a new pair of jeans. Never had Oni before, but I like what I’m seeing on Denimio. My last two pairs were some Orslow 107 (too tapered for my taste now), and a pair of Kaptain Sunshine’s with a fit more similar to the Orslow 105, which I dig more. Both broke in and faded nicely, but the denim character’s nothing too special. I’d like to start on a new pair with a button fly, medium-ish rise and maybe a 7.5 to 8” max hem. Though I hate the constricting “stretch them out game,” I understand the necessity to a certain extent. That being said, I guess I’d need them to ultimately stretch to a 16.5” (true 33”) waist. Which model and size would you lot go for on your first pair of Oni’s? Maybe the 288ZR 20OZ SECRET DENIM REGULAR STRAIGHT? I dunno… something kinda SLUBBY and interesting? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ready to start on a new pair of jeans. Never had Oni before, but I like what I’m seeing on Denimio. My last two pairs were some Orslow 107 (too tapered for my taste now), and a pair of Kaptain Sunshine’s with a fit more similar to the Orslow 105, which I dig more. Both broke in and faded nicely, but the denim character’s nothing too special. I’d like to start on a new pair with a button fly, medium-ish rise and maybe a 7.5 to 8” max hem. Though I hate the constricting “stretch them out game,” I understand the necessity to a certain extent. That being said, I guess I’d need them to ultimately stretch to a 16.5” (true 33”) waist. Which model and size would you lot go for on your first pair of Oni’s? Maybe the 288ZR 20OZ SECRET DENIM REGULAR STRAIGHT? I dunno… something kinda skinny and interesting? Thanks for your input.
I can’t speak to the skinnier Oni cuts, but secret denim regularly stretches 1.5-2” inches at the waist, so work off the measurements on the retailers website accordingly. Denimio, Redcast, and Blue Owl all carry them.

The stretching happens pretty quickly, and the denim is otherwise very soft and comfortable (for denim) from hour one of wear.

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
Ready to start on a new pair of jeans. Never had Oni before, but I like what I’m seeing on Denimio. My last two pairs were some Orslow 107 (too tapered for my taste now), and a pair of Kaptain Sunshine’s with a fit more similar to the Orslow 105, which I dig more. Both broke in and faded nicely, but the denim character’s nothing too special. I’d like to start on a new pair with a button fly, medium-ish rise and maybe a 7.5 to 8” max hem. Though I hate the constricting “stretch them out game,” I understand the necessity to a certain extent. That being said, I guess I’d need them to ultimately stretch to a 16.5” (true 33”) waist. Which model and size would you lot go for on your first pair of Oni’s? Maybe the 288ZR 20OZ SECRET DENIM REGULAR STRAIGHT? I dunno… something kinda skinny and interesting? Thanks for your input.
Welcome to the thread @cocostella! If you are looking for interesting fabric, Oni is the right choice of brand. The famous Secret denim is streets ahead of most denim that you will encounter as far as visual interest and feel go. This denim currently has a special edition 20th anniversary 19oz version available that is truly spectacular. Similarly, the Kiraku, Kihannen and Kiwami denims have very interesting texture and hand to them.

In terms of cut, 288 could be an appropriate choice if you are looking for something on the skinnier side. 247 is also worth considering for a slim straight. 022/122 are straighter cuts that are a bit less on the skinny side. 544 may also fit your needs despite being a tapered cut. 622 and 902 are their more classic "relaxed tapered" cuts that are widely favoured but I would advise trying these on if possible as the rise may not suit your needs depending on your preferences.

Happy hunting!

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
Oni is demon durable denim. I have oni, pbj and tanuki but I dont know why I feel PBJ is terrible durable IMO🥲. Any one tell me Oni vs IH?
If you are asking what is the most durable brand, I have yet to encounter any brand that comes close to Iron Heart in terms of durability. Their jeans, shirts and jackets are the very best I own in terms of durability.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Oni stretches wayyyy too much for my taste so I avoid it (same reason why Self Edge doesn't carry them). Iron Heart is king to me and what I frequently flock to.

mrthanh

Reaction score
If durability is the most important thing, that's probably a great choice. I will say that Oni fabrics are much, much more interesting both initially and as they fade than anything I have experienced from Iron Heart.
Yeah, that reason I buy Oni in first Japan jeans. Oni are much fabric and mod, color for choice 💪🏻

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads