• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

mbaum

Reaction score
OK - let's not rehash that again and again. If you don't like the threat and it's contributors, feel free to leave or start a different one.

There is absolutely no reasoning against the fact the SH provides the best content in this threat that gets discussions going and is the main reason that ... well ... we actually do discuss things like kitchens. No need to derail anything all the time, boys.

Shall we move on to a new house? Or what about, perhaps, garages? I know there are a few vintage automobile fans in here, like me. I always wondered how to create a space for a/ a few classic cars that combines the storage aspect with display and some living/ entertaining functionality. Any of you architects ever encountered the quest/ commission for a garage?

Maserati had a contest a few years back and an LA design won that I thought was ok, though these things are always dangerously close to being a bit pretentious ...

One I quite like ... helps that they display it with a 356

And likely the garage to end all garages: A certain comedian's NYC three-story brownstone conversion. As he is extremely private about it, not too many pics around

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A *bit* pretentious? The first one seriously has a chair that looks like it was placed specifically to facilitate sitting and pondering the lines of your vintage Maserati.

Last edited:

mbaum

Reaction score
First, that's a vintage Ferrari in the pic.

Second, well, duh, yeah. That's the point. Some vintage cars were designed by master artists and hand built by artisans in coachbuilt shops. Of course, the point of a garage like this is also to ... pondering the lines. There is a reason why classic cars are increasingly considered a form of art with $ prices to match. Google Monterey auction results, the RM/ Sotheby's auction in NYC or Lauren/ Louvre exhibition to get a sense why garages like this are indeed not only for storing but for enjoying those cars and it's design in a display place that does them justice. This ain't you ******* M3 garage here ...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

OK - let's not rehash that again and again. If you don't like the threat and it's contributors, feel free to leave or start a different one.

No need to derail anything all the time, boys.

Oh, :facepalm:, and here I was thinking that calling people pieces of ****, marsupials, F***ers and whatever else was the derailing element. I guess you just told me how it is.

So in light of these newfangled facts, you're a stupid and insufferable fuckwad. I'm back on topic now.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I imagine the owners of all those houses as try-hard divorcees who regularly drop some version of, "The car pulls out, but I never do."

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know it's hard to imagine, but there are car enthusiasts who are not insecure about the size of their penis *and* manage to have healthy relationships with other people.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a huge debacle about the first one, due to the owner had a bridge built on his own ground, it also won a competition Maserati had for the best Maserati garage in the world.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd rather have an airplane hanger type garage, or one underground with a lift. Not into floor to ceiling glass for this.

I love vintage cars.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

I know it's hard to imagine, but there are car enthusiasts who are not insecure about the size of their penis *and* manage to have healthy relationships with other people.

Yeah, but those aren't the guys who park in their living room...

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's placed on top of a hill side house, which is the only level that leads on to the road, the guy who owns the house is an architect by the way.

If I had a car worth showing off, I would love to have garage where I could see and enjoy it everyday.

mbaum

Reaction score
So in light of these newfangled facts, you're a stupid and insufferable fuckwad. I'm back on topic now.
If it makes you happy and to restore on-topic discussions, I will be.

Frankly, I would drive one of my ******* cars right into the living room of my loft if I could. No issue with that if it is nicely integrated. But let me go measure ******* real quick so I can decide if I should buy another 50's Lancia ...

Personally, I also prefer the warehouse/ hangar look for vintage cars myself. Though having one or two in some sort of display setting at your house is fascinating to me and, if I am not mistaken, the bigger architecture challenge as opposed to the next two examples and Seinfeld's NYC pad, that have been specifically designed as car places, not residences per se.

Here is Bruce Meyer's loft where he displays his most significant cars. It comes with a smaller sitting area in the back. It is on the second story of a building and has a neat lift to get the cars up and down (seen in the back of pic 2). It is not too big (I believe less than 10k sqft), and to me, the nicest car pad I have experienced.

And of course, where would we be without Mr. Lauren who was one of the first ones to display his collection like art work (I would if I owned his cars).

Mike

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I think there is a fundamental difference between in-home parking for a car that is meant for regular (or even semi-regular) use and cars that are being displayed as art. If the cars aren't moving for months or years at a time (a la Ralphy-cakes), then I can see the logic behind wanting more of a showcase feel (much like you would with traditional art). But if you run the risk of asphyxiating your cat at the start of each daily morning commute, I really don't get the appeal.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy