1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I don't think we really have this anywhere. There's a "Favorite homes/estates" thread but that's more for showing off big palatial abodes. I'd like for people to post some of their favorite residential architecture. Doesn't matter what school, what style, where, etc. This gem was recently featured in the NYT. A cinder-block home in the southern Idaho mountains. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/garden/08idaho.html

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Wow. That's so awesome.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great house. Why did she fuck it up with all of that garbage furniture.

4. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I think the overall aesthetic is fine for that house. Some individual pieces suck hard, but it's really not that bad.

5. robin

robin Senior member

That long table looks great.

6. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

recently-built Greek Revival vomit.

Didn't even need to see the pictures. The concept itself is vomit inducing.

8. robin

robin Senior member

Bleh.

Props for the Viking equipment though.

9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Glencairn, a "castle" in Bryn Athyn, PA. Fascinating building. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Glencairn, a "castle" in Bryn Athyn, PA. Fascinating building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holy shit. This is unbelievable. Is it a private residence or what?

This home was originally built as a school and is now a private residence a mile or so down the river from me-
    [​IMG]

11. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

12. jkw

jkw Senior member

Both for sale right now, at what seem to be very good prices. The second one especially. Maybe we should just sell up here...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

14. jkw

jkw Senior member

and a bit closer to home... (5 mins) looks pretty interesting, but too small for so many floors. I don't think i could deal with this subterranean stuff...
    [​IMG]
    http://www.primelocation.com/uk-prop...CLWE_HOL090002

A converted church, also 5 minutes away
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.primelocation.com/uk-prop.../WINN999001954

Spencer (Diana's family) house, one of my favourite townhouses.
    [​IMG]

There are plenty more beautiful houses in London, some historic, some new by US standards. The interiors are to die for, from ultra modern in these old shells, to the original features. I can't run out of country houses. If you want history for the ones above, it's readily available. Eaton Hall, the duke of Westminster's family seat is nice, but not as good as it used to be. French chateaux are also quite interesting.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1

16. jkw

jkw Senior member

^^^Wow

The second house is only £5.5! I was arguing with my father the other day about these, but even though you could buy some huge country places for the price of a 4 bedroom/4500sq.ft place here, the upkeep would be insane.

Of course you couldn't live in it without help. Just to maintain it, you'd need a cleaners and a gardener on a fairly regular basis. Repairs would be crippling. Heating too, plus it could get damp...

These places are being snapped up by the nouveau riche. All the old set can't afford to run them. Some lord from parliament sold so as not to burden the kids. "On a good year upkeep is £500,000. On a bad one, up to a million" [​IMG]

Didn't even need to see the pictures. The concept itself is vomit inducing.

Revival... [​IMG] Then of course, there really aren't that many old houses in the states are there? Even your oldest are newish by European standards. I prefer the older townhouses here as well as the even older country ones. I just don't see the point in fake old new builds. Modern houses are something else, but why bother with X "style" [​IMG] not in good taste IMO

17. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

The interior of this recently-built Greek Revival in the Hudson Valley will make Matt vomit. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This house was on This Old House one day. But it's not old. It is like a oneupmanship in fakery. The 'theme' of the house is that 'originally, let's say a family lived here, and they built a small house. That's the far left wing. Then as they prospered, they built the big center section and turned the left wing into a kitchen. Blah blah blah.' Like all the houses on This Old House, it was ridiculously expensive for what it is.

I think the worst thing about it is the front door isn't placed in the center. I do like the big flat front lawn though.

At least the cinder block and unpainted sheetrock house in Idaho is unique and was probably reasonable to build. On Dwell (on Fine Living) they showed a home in Napa which was basically constructed like an industrial building (flat concerete floor, metal building like a commercial garage). Then, the homeowners had most of the interior walls built with casters under them, so they could rearrange the walls like most people rearrange furniture.

I just want a porte cochere.

18. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

+2. After building it, she probably had to wait for Ikea to have a clearance sale to fill that house up. But I do like that long table.

19. Chouse

Chouse Senior member

and a bit closer to home... (5 mins) looks pretty interesting, but too small for so many floors. I don't think i could deal with this subterranean stuff...
    [​IMG]
    http://www.primelocation.com/uk-prop...CLWE_HOL090002

Wow... this is an interesting concept.

20. George

George Senior member

[​IMG]

The gothic villa Strawberry Hill in London. Built by Horace Walpole the son of Robert Walpole Britain's first Prime Minister, completed in 1776. Pre dated the Victorian gothic revival by several years.