• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From memory, Fan Ho worked only in film. I could be off, though.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

I believe @Mr. Moo has a GR (I).

I too have a X100 (the first one) and have been considering a GR (I or II) for some time. I have been happy with a wider lens in the past, so that's not holding me back. What is though, is what seems to be a consensus from a few reviews, that the colour of the Fuji's jpegs should rank as some of the best SOOC, while the Ricoh's should benefit more from shooting RAW, which I so far haven't bothered with.

I do routinely keep an eye out for an eventual GR III, to see if it might convince me, as there's a lot to like in the GRs, especially the pocketability.

The Ricoh GR is the finest camera I have ever used, all things considered.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I am now ready to get back to 35mm, picked up some Kodak tri-x and portra. I know I know so cliche blah whatever I want to shoot at dusk so opting for a bit faster, both 400 iso

Perhaps a refreshing reminder

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to be fair, Adams shot the vast majority of his professional work with large- and medium-format cameras.

if you're planning on pushing your film you might do just fine with 100 or 200 iso. i really enjoyed playing with orange and red filters with b&w film back in the day. i'd love to get a full frame dslr so i can get back to my roots. peace!

leeba

Reaction score
starting to do some amateur-hour product photography as an intern.

I have a Nikon D90 (crop sensor) right now with a 35mm 1.8 prime lens. Thinking about getting a new one (I've wanted a diff lens for portraits anyways for a while), would like to keep it under 400-500.

Any recs? I like primes so I was thinking maybe just a Nikon 50mm 1.4 but I dunno really. At some point I want to go mirrorless/film but that's a ways off..

Last edited:

basil rathbone

Reaction score
Apropos of nothing but the mention of Ansel Adams, but Stephen Shore said that a meeting with a drunk Adams was one of the five most transformative events of his career. He was in his 20s and Adams in his 80s (I think).

During this meeting, Adams told him, "I had a creative hot streak in the 40s, and since then I've been pot-boiling [ie, churning out work for money]". Shore didn't want to look back on his life as an 85 year old and think that he'd been repeating himself for the past 50 years. Whenever he solves a problem that he's been working on, he changes something essential about what he's doing in order to keep progressing. He says art is about solving challenges in your medium, and beautiful pictures are only the byproduct.

Not to talk **** about the great Ansel Adams - I just thought it was an interesting comment coming from one of the fathers of photography.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am now ready to get back to 35mm, picked up some Kodak tri-x and portra. I know I know so cliche blah whatever I want to shoot at dusk so opting for a bit faster, both 400 iso

Perhaps a refreshing reminder

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I used to push film from 100 to 400 iso in years past. I found using Rodinal bought out the grain of the image and gave B&W photographs a stronger presence. A quick introduction http://www.danimalweb.co.uk/blog/2010/01/22/an-introduction-to-rodinal-bw-film-developer/

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

to be fair, Adams shot the vast majority of his professional work with large- and medium-format cameras. 

if you're planning on pushing your film you might do just fine with 100 or 200 iso. i really enjoyed playing with orange and red filters with b&w film back in the day. i'd love to get a full frame dslr so i can get back to my roots. peace!

the point i was making in posting the video had to do with his methodology of composition rather than format, details, richness, etc. in his works. Contrast that with the examples given (or just check instagram/social media/flickr) of photos taken for the sake of taking them. I posted this elsewhere but I suppose it's relevant here too: http://www.newyorker.com/business/c...ill-photograph-everything-and-look-at-nothing

One reason I want to abandon megapixels is because the ease with which I end up just taking so many shots that in the moment seem like good ideas without contemplating them (maybe ease is the wrong word here, I almost feel compelled or encouraged to overload my shutter count). Obviously this can be applied to film, but walking around knowing there are 36 exposures minus whatever remaining allows me to be more aware of what I'm looking at in some practical sense rather than totally emotionally immersed in some fleeting moment.

I intend to push 400 -> 800-1200
1f601.png

Basil that is an awesome anecdote

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the point i was making in posting the video...

oh. lol no i don't have time to watch vids, just make the point that you wanna make brah.

fwiw i learned photography in a darkroom with 35mm film, blah blah blah. i abandoned the medium for about 15 years while the world went digital and then picked up a dslr out of necessity. i've taken it out for expression sessions and i find that i'm as deliberate as i ever was with film. but i can understand the change in outlook. bravo for taking a stand, hope to see some of your work amigo!

Last edited:

Benjaminba

Reaction score
Hey, really love this thread. Lot of wonderful photos, recently @Mesta (your blog is so good!), @the shah (awesome circus pictures) and @LonerMatt - great & beautiful work!

Got myself a used fuji x-t1 and I've been trying to learn how to use it in the past week. Sweet flipping camera, but I'm still a noob at this. Would like to share a few photos I thought turned out OK anyway. From Copenhagen..

Last edited:

Mesta

Reaction score
Ah thanks Benjaminda! Good choice with Xt-1 (I'm very very biased..).
Is that the 35 or 56mm? Your light on pic 4 and 6 was pretty good!

Quick selec here of my recent stuff.
Did some shots at the 'fashion' week of Montreal lol.

More girlz and portraits on my blog. (really need to update my website...tumblr went to ****)
Moving to tokyo soon, expect some japanese street life!

Last edited:

Benjaminba

Reaction score
Nice, I like it! I got the 18-55 lens; came with the camera. It's not too bad and it was a great price. Definitely want the 56mm lens, though. What do you use? 35mm?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads