• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

Mesta

Reaction score
I had a leica m9 with me for a week with a summilux 35.
I had fun, I think. Rangefinder was interesting but I think it's as you say, you need time with that camera and lens system to really get into.

Gear isn't everything ;P I prefer my xt-1 pics that I took at the same time.. and I do like manual focus (for portrait) even with my xt-1 so it's not even that!

If I had the money, I would probably go somewhere else than Leica (Hassel, pentax).

This is prolly my fav shot with it (sorry I dont have the high-res handy)

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME the only time I start caring about gear is when I haven't been able to take photos for a while. Maybe it's been grey, or maybe my camera is getting repaired, but there's a reason I start looking at cameras: I want to take photos. That's the only reason I start caring. I don't think I'm alone there.

Honestly I've been using the OM1 (35mm) for about 18 months straight now so nothing else feels as fast or simple, even if there's plenty else that's quite good.

Next step is 6x9 - but not for a few more months.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
this is a fun lens

27526799054_08b69ef9b4_c.jpg

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
some color
28171100446_6e23ff2e64_c.jpg

28171101196_a04619a67c_c.jpg

27589138594_6701def208_c.jpg

some bw (jpeg straight out of camera)
27589139984_0cc927096d_c.jpg

27589133544_93e0dcf18e_c.jpg

28171104226_03530d9f6a_c.jpg

27923990760_40d49d88de_c.jpg

28171105626_462f18ecee_c.jpg

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own a GR II?

I have an X100 and Sony Nex, both of which I love on their own terms, but want something pocketable and maybe a bit more discreet. I'm worried the angle is too wide and I'll miss a viewfinder

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe @Mr. Moo has a GR (I).

I too have a X100 (the first one) and have been considering a GR (I or II) for some time. I have been happy with a wider lens in the past, so that's not holding me back. What is though, is what seems to be a consensus from a few reviews, that the colour of the Fuji's jpegs should rank as some of the best SOOC, while the Ricoh's should benefit more from shooting RAW, which I so far haven't bothered with.

I do routinely keep an eye out for an eventual GR III, to see if it might convince me, as there's a lot to like in the GRs, especially the pocketability.

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the wider lens turns out to be an issue it will shoot in 35mm format - it will self-crop for you and display that in live view.

Which is fine for almost every photo you'd take, barring a few different situations.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
3 cameras seems excessive. Hell, 2 seems excessive unless you are doing something like sports or weddings (in which case you could just opt for a zoom anyway) or some sort of production where multiple angles simultaneously would be required. This is entering insane GAS territory but you should do with your money what you please, obviously.

One body, two lenses. I'm set and travel super light.
Too wide, walk forward . Too narrow, walk backwards

Note that I have in the past gone around NYC with a Kiev 66cm and 4 lenses, ridiculous Soviet era gear that weighs a ton. Was fun but nothing I recommend nor intend to repeat.

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three cameras is probably excessive, but we're on a message board where three leather jackets is par for the course :) And actually I have an Olympus underwater camera for scuba diving, so there's three already haha

I enjoy using both my X100 and Sony Nex, but neither is pocketable and I only take them out on weekend trips where I know I'll be taking pictures. I rarely carry a bag even to work, so I'd like something I can put in a jacket pocket.

Anyways, I mostly take stupid travel photos to post on Instagram. What a waste!!

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
the circus was a good place to take advantage of the super contrasty lens (and i love the jpegs out of this camera)

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you shooting with mate?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
An old x-e1 , the CMOS censor is great esp for bw jpg
But the Zeiss planar lens is something. this just makes me miss film even more. tHeres no substitute, not even the leica monochrome (which locks the color filter so you get a really rich and vibrant range of luminosity) ...

I have found a place that does good scans and prints. Do you develop your own? I think bw negs are straightforward?. I was shooting med format positives that was trickier

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads