• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

el Bert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some random recent stuff, mainly just from a couple hikes and cruising through Northern California.

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am doing research on my own, but I figured I would ask here as well:

I recently moved to a rural-ish town in the Northeast and I thought it was high time I get a DSLR and experiment/learn the basics of photography. I only need a basic beginner camera to learn the ins-and-outs of camerawork. I don't have aspirations of upgrading to top-of-the-line equipment, I probably won't do much (if any) post-processing, and the camera I buy will probably be the camera I keep for a long time. But I figured that it might be nice to learn the basics of a DSLR in the NE during the summer because there are a lot of beautiful landscapes around. Does anyone have suggestions on a solid beginner DSLR? Thanks.

The Nikon D3300 is a solid basic DSLR, and I'm sure the entry-level Canon is fine (I prefer Nikon's handling and the kit lens is marginally better but there's little to choose between them).

Don't rule out Compact System camera's 'mirrorless' either - the Olympus OMD E-M10 mk II is a nice little camera (and if you can pick one up cheap the older mk 1 is perfectly decent). Similarly the Panasonic GX7 is being discounted with the GX80 coming out and is still a very good camera. Fuji and Sony also do decent CSCs.

I'd try and get to a proper camera shop (not a general technology store) and spend some time handling them to see which you like most. Unless you have very specialized needs, handling is a bigger consideration than image quality these days.

Best Budz

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll def stop by a shop around here when I get a chance

But can you explain what you mean by this?

Unless you have very specialized needs, handling is a bigger consideration than image quality these days.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They all make good images so it matters more what you like. There is very little (if any) major differences between output in beginner gear.

IMO:
1. Why set on a DSLR? They are heavily, larger and make very little sense for someone who doesn't aspire to do a lot of PP or do anything particularly involved
2. For out of the camera .jpgs that are great the Ricoh GR or the Fuji x70/x100s are MUCH better - small, light, simple to use, give you almost every feature you could want (except inter-changeable lenses, which isn't really that useful for generalist photography anyway).

Sometimes people look at smaller cameras and think that they are not really capable of great images, but that's a pretty silly assumption at the moment.

If I were in your shoes I'd pick up a secondhand Sony or Fuji mirrorless camera (a6000 Sony or x100 or x100s Fuji) and you could easily make images for 2-3-4 years before out-growing the camera (if indeed you ever do). And it's so much lighter than a DSLR.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll def stop by a shop around here when I get a chance

But can you explain what you mean by this?

Basically unless you are regularly making prints greater than A3 under normal shooting conditions it is extremely difficult to tell which camera within even a vaguely similar price bracket has been used. In low light some cameras are better than others, and if you want to take a crop from a small part of the frame a higher resolution sensor will give a better image. Metering systems on all modern cameras are very good and under average conditions they'll all produce reasonable results. Lens quality is still pretty variable, but modern kit lenses aren't bad.

How the camera handles - do you like the way the controls are situated, how the menus are structured, is it comfortable etc. can make a big difference.

Best Budz

Reaction score

Basically unless you are regularly making prints greater than A3 under normal shooting conditions it is extremely difficult to tell which camera within even a vaguely similar price bracket has been used. In low light some cameras are better than others, and if you want to take a crop from a small part of the frame a higher resolution sensor will give a better image. Metering systems on all modern cameras are very good and under average conditions they'll all produce reasonable results. Lens quality is still pretty variable, but modern kit lenses aren't bad.

How the camera handles - do you like the way the controls are situated, how the menus are structured, is it comfortable etc. can make a big difference.

Ok makes sense

They all make good images so it matters more what you like. There is very little (if any) major differences between output in beginner gear.

IMO:
1. Why set on a DSLR? They are heavily, larger and make very little sense for someone who doesn't aspire to do a lot of PP or do anything particularly involved
2. For out of the camera .jpgs that are great the Ricoh GR or the Fuji x70/x100s are MUCH better - small, light, simple to use, give you almost every feature you could want (except inter-changeable lenses, which isn't really that useful for generalist photography anyway). 

Sometimes people look at smaller cameras and think that they are not really capable of great images, but that's a pretty silly assumption at the moment.

If I were in your shoes I'd pick up a secondhand Sony or Fuji mirrorless camera (a6000 Sony or x100 or x100s Fuji) and you could easily make images for 2-3-4 years before out-growing the camera (if indeed you ever do). And it's so much lighter than a DSLR.

I guess I'm not super set on a DSLR. I just wanted to learn to adjust ISO, f-stop, etc on a higher quality camera than a point and shoot that I've been using previously. Basically, I wanna learn the basics of using a decent camera. But yeah you're right I'm not going to be doing anything super involved. Do you think those mirrorless cameras you recommended secondhand would fit the bill?

Thanks for the input

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok makes sense
I guess I'm not super set on a DSLR. I just wanted to learn to adjust ISO, f-stop, etc on a higher quality camera than a point and shoot that I've been using previously. Basically, I wanna learn the basics of using a decent camera. But yeah you're right I'm not going to be doing anything super involved. Do you think those mirrorless cameras you recommended secondhand would fit the bill?

Thanks for the input

I wouldn't want to be without interchangeable lenses, but that's largely because I like shooting at wide apertures and doing some macro stuff. The higher end fixed lens cameras are very nice though.

The size and weight thing is a big issue - I've got multiple cameras. My least used digital camera is my Nikon DSLR (admittedly it's full-frame so heavier than an entry level DSLR). My most used is a tiny Panasonic Lumix GM1, generally paired with an Olympus 45mm and the 12-32mm kit tucked in the same tiny bag. It's so light and compact I carry it with me most of the time. The slightly larger GX7 gets a fair bit of use, but I tend to carry that if photography is the principal aim for the day, and I'll carry a few more lenses.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The size and weight thing is a big issue - I've got multiple cameras. My least used digital camera is my Nikon DSLR (admittedly it's full-frame so heavier than an entry level DSLR). My most used is a tiny Panasonic Lumix GM1, generally paired with an Olympus 45mm and the 12-32mm kit tucked in the same tiny bag. It's so light and compact I carry it with me most of the time. The slightly larger GX7 gets a fair bit of use, but I tend to carry that if photography is the principal aim for the day, and I'll carry a few more lenses.

Different brands, but I'm sort of in the same boat. My Fuji X-T1 is by far my most used camera, and the Fuji primes are terrific. My full-frame Canon 6D is probably least used right now, although with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens it definitely is superior to the Fuji when it comes to shooting my kids' sports. It just weighs literally twice as much as an equivalent Fuji setup. The gripped 6D + 1.4x extender + 70-200 is over 7 lbs while the Fuji X-T1 with a hand grip + 1.4x + 50-140 f/2.8 is half that, and that's a gigantic configuration for Fuji. The X-T1 with the 35mm f/1.4 is sort of my default setup and at 1 lb 7oz, that's less than the weight of a Canon 24-105 f/4 lens alone.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stick film in my Olympus OM1 from the 80s and fire away. Get scans back and add a little blue, drop highlights and add a bit more contrast.

globobock

Reaction score
Great pics, guys! Especially the B/W Waterfall.

BTW... Leica just brought out a displayless M which doesn't make sense to me. But hey... all power to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads