1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. jj970

jj970 Member

Hmm,

I've been researching HK tailors, but can't afford the high end ones...

I've looked into Dream Bespoke, Simpson Sin, Baron Lee, Moda and Empire Internaional, which all seem to be around the same price range...5600-7000 HKD for a VBC 110-120 full canvass suit.

Now that I've been doing some more research on SS MTM, which is local here in Chicago, I have been debating which might be better...

SS is local so if I have issues, I can go back and get it fixed. It seems they use VBC and their pricing starts at $699.

It's all a gamble to me, being new to the tailored suit scene...so I put it to the forum...

Any advice as to which might be a better choice?

Thanks,

J

2. thatitalian

thatitalian Well-Known Member

clarinetplayer looking dapper as always! Great suit choice. The subtle check is excellent.

Well, here is my getup today. Suitsupply jacket, trousers and square. The shirt is M2M, tie is Drakes and shoes are Meermin.

I went for a blend of fabrics on this with a heavier herringbone jacket and a light 120 wool trouser.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mobilenemo

mobilenemo Member

I haven't tried either of those on yet. Are they typically more roomy in the thigh and seat areas?

4. brillopad

brillopad Senior member

If you're new to the tailored suit scene, the first question to ask yourself might be whether you really need a MTM suit. Off-the-rack is probably a better place to start unless you can't fit into normal sizes.

5. sliq

sliq Senior member

I emailed suitsupply about this exact suit; they don't stock it online. GRRR!!

6. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

+1

There are so many different cuts to OTR suits, you should be able to find one that fits you without too much trouble. This forum is replete with stories of MTM gone wrong. With an OTR suit, you know how it will fit before you buy it, so it is much less risky. I am very slim so Suitsupply fits me well, and I am ignorant enough about suits that I can't imagine a better fit. But if you're knowledgeable and loaded enough to really know what you want and take the risk, go for it.

7. nostalgiaultra

nostalgiaultra Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any experience with the Soho trousers fit? I've tried the porto fit and 30 was too tight in the waist and seat, 32 was too loose.

8. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Anyone know why the Napoli navy is more expensive than the Napoli blue? I realise the navy is from the purple line, but the description says nothing about better quality fabric or construction compared to blue line napolis.

9. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

If I recall correctly, the blue line (the less expensive) is fused in construction as to where the purple line (middle end) is half-canvassed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

10. eilay

eilay Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I read before that they're all half-canvassed - price reflects the price that SS paid for the fabric (apparently they get a better deal on the fabrics that they offer for $399, maybe because they order more).

11. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I'm sorry, I think you're right. I must've confused them with another brand where the entry level suits are fused and the middle end suits are half-canvassed. Just did a quick research and it appears as you said that the 399$ is directly linked to the fabric used, but still half-canvassed. I read that only the Sevilla cut might be fused.

12. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Not sure where you're getting your info but Suitsupply directly stated they don't have fused jackets in their lineup.

13. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

And the high end (Jort / LSpalla) are full canvassed for $999

14. eilay

eilay Well-Known Member

Yeah

15. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Then I guess there is some contradicting info running around on the Internets. Thanks for clarifying this up for me.