• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jj970

Reaction score
Hmm,

I've been researching HK tailors, but can't afford the high end ones...

I've looked into Dream Bespoke, Simpson Sin, Baron Lee, Moda and Empire Internaional, which all seem to be around the same price range...5600-7000 HKD for a VBC 110-120 full canvass suit.

Now that I've been doing some more research on SS MTM, which is local here in Chicago, I have been debating which might be better...

SS is local so if I have issues, I can go back and get it fixed. It seems they use VBC and their pricing starts at $699.

It's all a gamble to me, being new to the tailored suit scene...so I put it to the forum...

Any advice as to which might be a better choice?

Thanks,

J

thatitalian

Reaction score
clarinetplayer looking dapper as always! Great suit choice. The subtle check is excellent.

Well, here is my getup today. Suitsupply jacket, trousers and square. The shirt is M2M, tie is Drakes and shoes are Meermin.

I went for a blend of fabrics on this with a heavier herringbone jacket and a light 120 wool trouser.

mobilenemo

Reaction score
I haven't tried either of those on yet. Are they typically more roomy in the thigh and seat areas?

Of all of them, I like the Napoli 38S.

Perhaps you can let out the seat and waist of the trousers to ease the snugness provided that they have enough material.

Have you tried on the Lazio and La Spalla?

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hmm,

I've been researching HK tailors, but can't afford the high end ones...

I've looked into Dream Bespoke, Simpson Sin, Baron Lee, Moda and Empire Internaional, which all seem to be around the same price range...5600-7000 HKD for a VBC 110-120 full canvass suit.

Now that I've been doing some more research on SS MTM, which is local here in Chicago, I have been debating which might be better...

SS is local so if I have issues, I can go back and get it fixed. It seems they use VBC and their pricing starts at $699.

It's all a gamble to me, being new to the tailored suit scene...so I put it to the forum...

Any advice as to which might be a better choice?

Thanks,

J
If you're new to the tailored suit scene, the first question to ask yourself might be whether you really need a MTM suit. Off-the-rack is probably a better place to start unless you can't fit into normal sizes.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This was my first SS suit--a Washington. After I purchased it, I had a real case of "buyer's remorse"--thinking that the peaked lapels and the ticket pocket were just "too much". And that it was shorter than any coat I own. After wearing it for the past 4 months, I've come to like it and feel comfortable wearing it. So much so, that I would consider buying another Washington.
I emailed suitsupply about this exact suit; they don't stock it online. GRRR!!

coldsalmon

Reaction score
If you're new to the tailored suit scene, the first question to ask yourself might be whether you really need a MTM suit. Off-the-rack is probably a better place to start unless you can't fit into normal sizes.

+1

There are so many different cuts to OTR suits, you should be able to find one that fits you without too much trouble. This forum is replete with stories of MTM gone wrong. With an OTR suit, you know how it will fit before you buy it, so it is much less risky. I am very slim so Suitsupply fits me well, and I am ignorant enough about suits that I can't imagine a better fit. But if you're knowledgeable and loaded enough to really know what you want and take the risk, go for it.

nostalgiaultra

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the Soho trousers fit? I've tried the porto fit and 30 was too tight in the waist and seat, 32 was too loose.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Anyone know why the Napoli navy is more expensive than the Napoli blue? I realise the navy is from the purple line, but the description says nothing about better quality fabric or construction compared to blue line napolis.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the blue line (the less expensive) is fused in construction as to where the purple line (middle end) is half-canvassed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

eilay

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the blue line (the less expensive) is fused in construction as to where the purple line (middle end) is half-canvassed. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Pretty sure I read before that they're all half-canvassed - price reflects the price that SS paid for the fabric (apparently they get a better deal on the fabrics that they offer for $399, maybe because they order more).

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I read before that they're all half-canvassed - price reflects the price that SS paid for the fabric (apparently they get a better deal on the fabrics that they offer for $399, maybe because they order more).

I'm sorry, I think you're right. I must've confused them with another brand where the entry level suits are fused and the middle end suits are half-canvassed. Just did a quick research and it appears as you said that the 399$ is directly linked to the fabric used, but still half-canvassed. I read that only the Sevilla cut might be fused.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting your info but Suitsupply directly stated they don't have fused jackets in their lineup.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're getting your info but Suitsupply directly stated they don't have fused jackets in their lineup.

Then I guess there is some contradicting info running around on the Internets. Thanks for clarifying this up for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads