• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

porscheguy

Reaction score
I am in the market for a sophisticated summer suit aking to this one:

No politics, please.

Thinking of getting a delicate cotton fabric.

Q: Would you consider going with light full canvas (2 layers) and butterfly lining sensible?

Not a fan of an unconstructured look, and I think full lining would be a tad too warm. Love the drape and shaping of 4 layer standard full canvas but am tempted to try the 2 layer combination with butterfly lining on a summer suit.

As for the shoulder padding, I will probably stick to the light padding option.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you, my dear SF community!
if you want a lightweight material, consider a cotton/linen blend, light canvas, butterfly lining, etc.

porscheguy

Reaction score
Agreed. The fabric selection has actually gotten worse, there’s only two (2!) white fabrics for shirts.

At this price point it’s not competitive anymore, sadly.
There’s a worldwide shortage on a lot of things lately. They used to have 8 pure linen fabrics, now it’s down to 2. I think overall they had about 100 fabrics for shirts and that’s now down to about 50. I don’t think something insidious is happening at SuSu. Remember that many of the mills that produce these fabrics are based in Europe (especially Italy) and they were shut down for several lengthy periods the past 15-16 months. It’s not just limited to them. Even proper cloth is running out of materials. In the past they might run out of something for a week or two. Now they run out and it’s weeks or longer before they restock.
Maybe you’ve heard about the microchip shortage? Car part shortages have caused gm to halt 2021 production on the corvette and possibly some other vehicles. I live in Annapolis. There’s virtually no new boat inventory anywhere. People are a bit frustrated. Businesses are frustrated because customers want to spend money and they have nothing to sell. And customers want to buy, but there’s nothing to buy.
Things will sort themselves out, but it’s gonna take a little more time.

zurich64

Reaction score
I am in the market for a sophisticated summer suit aking to this one:

No politics, please.

Thinking of getting a delicate cotton fabric.

Q: Would you consider going with light full canvas (2 layers) and butterfly lining sensible?

Not a fan of an unconstructured look, and I think full lining would be a tad too warm. Love the drape and shaping of 4 layer standard full canvas but am tempted to try the 2 layer combination with butterfly lining on a summer suit.

As for the shoulder padding, I will probably stick to the light padding option.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you, my dear SF community!
Lighter canvas and quarter line does make a big difference in spring and summer. Jackets are really light.
Today I am wearing one of their cotton jacket with full canvas in 2 ply and quarter lining. Really comfortable, and I like the lighter weight, it is really noticeable and I will probably stick with this lighter construction for all jackets.
Even in winter, wearing a jacket whole day is more comfortable with lighter canvas.

N-tc

Reaction score
There’s a worldwide shortage on a lot of things lately. They used to have 8 pure linen fabrics, now it’s down to 2. I think overall they had about 100 fabrics for shirts and that’s now down to about 50. I don’t think something insidious is happening at SuSu. Remember that many of the mills that produce these fabrics are based in Europe (especially Italy) and they were shut down for several lengthy periods the past 15-16 months. It’s not just limited to them. Even proper cloth is running out of materials. In the past they might run out of something for a week or two. Now they run out and it’s weeks or longer before they restock.
Maybe you’ve heard about the microchip shortage? Car part shortages have caused gm to halt 2021 production on the corvette and possibly some other vehicles. I live in Annapolis. There’s virtually no new boat inventory anywhere. People are a bit frustrated. Businesses are frustrated because customers want to spend money and they have nothing to sell. And customers want to buy, but there’s nothing to buy.
Things will sort themselves out, but it’s gonna take a little more time.
That makes sense, but the issue is that they are not providing us with clear information about how they come up with their prices. Their brand image is dependant on their ability to informatively communicate with their loyal clients. I don't mind the recent price increase if it means we are getting a better product. However, SuSu seems unwilling to tell us precisely the reasons behind this rather drastic change in their pricing policy.

Jlee80

Reaction score
That makes sense, but the issue is that they are not providing us with clear information about how they come up with their prices. Their brand image is dependant on their ability to informatively communicate with their loyal clients. I don't mind the recent price increase if it means we are getting a better product. However, SuSu seems unwilling to tell us precisely the reasons behind this rather drastic change in their pricing policy.
This +1000!

Are my custom suits nice... Yes. However, after wearing them all, I can honestly say I prefer Spier & Mackay's RTW half-canvassed suits to SuitSupply's full-canvassed suits. Spier's pants fit better, the jackets drape better and construction is better. I'll give the edge to SS on fabric, but Spier wins on everything else. I've got a Spier full canvas MTO in process that I'm looking forward to comparing the SS as well.

Not sure why SS would raise prices like they have given the competition in the market, but it's getting to the point of not being worth the extra $$

notdos

Reaction score
I work in the construction industry. Specifically flooring distribution. In the past 90 days, we’ve had 3 substantial price increases. All of these increases have been, and are directly related to, freight.
No matter what the finished product is, some part or component of the finished product has to be shipped via container ship. The freight cost to get a container across the ocean has tripled in the last five months. The space on those ships come at a premium. There is also a shortage of empty containers and truck drivers to deliver them. This is driving up the cost.
Hopefully, this will rectify itself over time.

Phillip

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in the construction industry. Specifically flooring distribution. In the past 90 days, we’ve had 3 substantial price increases. All of these increases have been, and are directly related to, freight.
No matter what the finished product is, some part or component of the finished product has to be shipped via container ship. The freight cost to get a container across the ocean has tripled in the last five months. The space on those ships come at a premium. There is also a shortage of empty containers and truck drivers to deliver them. This is driving up the cost.
Hopefully, this will rectify itself over time.

Phillip
That’s so interesting. I use DHL and only the prices to the USA have increased. The rest of the world I got discounts.

Contango

Reaction score
How is this any of your business? Do you expect your local supermarket to explain why your favourite breakfast cereal had increased in price? Or your local petrol station to explain why it’s costing you more to fill your tank than it did yesterday?

Why would a custom suit shop be any different?

N-tc

Reaction score
How is this any of your business? Do you expect your local supermarket to explain why your favourite breakfast cereal had increased in price? Or your local petrol station to explain why it’s costing you more to fill your tank than it did yesterday?

Why would a custom suit shop be any different?
Well, how I spend my money is actually my business. I don't know where you live (maybe Zimbabwe, Venezuela, or Lebanon ?), but gas and cereal prices rarely change by 45+% overnight. If it would change by nearly 50%, as it did with SuSu, I don't think that most people will just accept it and continue with their lives as nothing happened.

As per my previous comment, the issue is not that they changed their prices; it rather concerns how they communicated about it and tried to justify their new prices. If you are ok with getting lied to and screwed by big corporations that don't even have the common decency to be straightforward with their loyal clients, then do you.

Cheers :)

nevaeh

Reaction score
Well, how I spend my money is actually my business. I don't know where you live (maybe Zimbabwe, Venezuela, or Lebanon ?), but gas and cereal prices rarely change by 45+% overnight. If it would change by nearly 50%, as it did with SuSu, I don't think that most people will just accept it and continue with their lives as nothing happened.

As per my previous comment, the issue is not that they changed their prices; it rather concerns how they communicated about it and tried to justify their new prices. If you are ok with getting lied to and screwed by big corporations that don't even have the common decency to be straightforward with their loyal clients, then do you.

Cheers :)
This price jump makes me much less likely to purchase a custom suit from SuitSupply. For certain mid-range fabrics, their price for machine-made full canvas suits starts to approach Divij's handmade suits. Divij would be a much better bargain at that price.

But SuitSupply does have the convenience of the number of stores and generally good customer service. For most customers (including all the wedding parties that must be swarming their stores), that's hard to beat.

However, to be entirely fair to SuitSupply, I don't think that private enterprises are under any obligation to explain their pricing strategies to their customers. Also, to your point about gas and cereal prices rising 50%, those are necessities. Not a fair comparison, for I doubt that even the most fashion forward person would argue that a custom suit is a necessity.

Jlee80

Reaction score
Any interest in fully canvassed 44s jacket, 34 1/2 waist, 28 length trousers Suitsupply custom made suits? Willing to come off them for a decent price, CONUS only. PM me for pictures/ if interested

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads