• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve McQueen shops for clothes

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
He certainly looks cool now, but I wonder if trad gents at the time thought he dressed like a slob? showing up in his white socks, desert boots and all-khaki outfit. might be the 1960s equivalent of a tracksuit? I have no idea myself
Not really. Trad gents of the time, at least the younger ones wore khaki, woolen crew socks, desert boots, loafers, or tennis shoes , lacoste, perry, or oxford cloth shirts, baracutta jackets, usually in khaki. That's what I wore.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Tommy Hilfiger folded? Huh. Explains why I found a useable "September" brown twill at Burlington Coat Factory on Sahara in Vegas for $19 last year.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beetleything
Tod's brown suede.

Originally Posted by Rayson
Tod's didn't exist until the 80s. I wrote a huge post called "Don't Step On His Brown Suede Boots" on my blog, which made the error of claiming McQueen wore Tod's. I put up another post with corrections last August after a couple of people, especially an expert called TheWeejun, put me right.

So whats the consensus? I think they are clarks DB's. Maybe not black but def. clarks.

Rayson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
So whats the consensus? I think they are clarks DB's. Maybe not black but def. clarks.

They're probably brown boots, which is what McQueen seemed to wear most often. The sole in these photos seems thicker, different to that of a Clarks desert boot. They look like a style of boot called a playboy. The nearest available equivalents today are probably by George Cox or Sanders, although the soles of these seem different in their own way, too thick. The George Cox has a rounded toe, which fits the bill here. McQueen wore the occasional shoe with more of a point, though, which is what the Sanders has, and the Sanders are better made. It's a surprisingly huge area that, in lieu of a life, I've often explored in my blog.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone notice who wrote this post?

"Jared Paul Stern writes the Classicist column for Luxist."

I imagine this is the same guy that allegedly tried to extort Burkle a few years ago? Strange.

Rayson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
I imagine this is the same guy that allegedly tried to extort Burkle a few years ago? Strange.
I didn't know anything about this. Just googled it. Wise of you to put "allegedly" in italics. This is from Wikipedia: "Stern ... subsequently filed a civil lawsuit against not only Burkle, but also Frank Renzi, Michael Sitrick, William Sherman, The New York Daily News, Hillary Clinton, and Bill Clinton."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads