• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting process of building a custom home, any blog, article or book with tips, etc?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Since I was planning on building a house, before the collapse of all things real estate and build loans, so am at the stage where we have a builder, complete plans, property, perc and soils testing done, even have the lot staked and the elevations of the house placed on the lot. Here's some of what I learned:

A good builder will own sets of plans that you can modify. Complete, from new, plans will set you back 20+ k. We started off with a complete set of plans the builder used once before and then paid an architect to make some substantial modifications. The builder gave us use of the plans for $0.00 and the revamped plans cost us 5k.

Get your financing in place now. It's certainly not as easy as it used to be, in fact, so cost prohibitive here we are stalled for a few years. It has to do with build cost vs. finished appraised value. The market segment of homes in which we're planning to build was hit very hard by ARMs resetting and foreclosures are driving down current comps to the point that we'd have to put in not only ~30% of the cost to build but ~150 to buy down the spread in build cost vs. appraised value.

When you get the contract from your builder, take it to a lawyer that specializes in this area. That could save you untold headaches and dollars.

So why build vs. buy? Well, we got the land dirt cheap out of foreclosure and we hunted for just the right spot. We will also get exactly the house we want, built well, by a builder we know personally and has been doing high end homes for 30 years and is vested in the local community and his reputation.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ thank you for the insight, I seem to be a bit earlier in the process than you so it is good to get some advice from somebody furtehr down the line. Fortunatley I do not need to finance anything so that saves some headache.

My cap price that I am now aiming for is $850k with the land, landscaping, house, and all appliances.

The two lots are priced at an asking of $250k for the 2 acre with the view but close proximity to other houses (ranging from $1M-$3M) or $260k for the 8 acre, very nice piece of land set back from road with a little privacy. I have already been told by my realtor that I can get either significantly under asking. Both are perc, partially cleared with septic approval and permits in hand.

On the 8 acre, there is a builder that was going to build for the current owner of the lot but the owner has decided not to move. I have met with this builder but something doesnt semm right about him.

I am finding that I do not have trust for the builders we have looked into. It seems like if I throw a max price out there I am looking to come under, they will find a way to get to that max, or if they throw a price out there for what I want done and I try to negotiate downward I am concerned that they will make up for it by using subpar materials or techniques... it really sucks not knowing alot about the indutry techniques and materials..

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's not an insignificant amount of money to work with. If you find it difficult to place trust in a builder doing things well, it seems like all the more reason to get an architect. The architect will have prior relationships and will have an interest in making sure that the project comes off to his liking since I'm sure that most architects want anything with their name on it to be high quality.

There are also high-end prefab homes to consider... There's actually a thread in here about them. I was very surprised when I saw how nice some of them were. They tend to be much more design oriented than "builder homes" and are in a totally different category than the crap you see most builders put up. You also get the benefit of knowing exactly how much the house will cost you upfront. Most also allow for some degree of modification.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you haven't done this before, and you have a pile of cash like you do, there is absolutely no excuse not to get an architect on board. Just having him there will introduce creative tension - this is good. It keeps everyone honest, it improves the level of discussion, and will improve your house immeasurably.

Not getting an architect because you're trying to save a few bucks while building a 3,500 sq. ft. custom home on your first dance is the definition of penny wise, pound foolish.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
That's not an insignificant amount of money to work with. If you find it difficult to place trust in a builder doing things well, it seems like all the more reason to get an architect. The architect will have prior relationships and will have an interest in making sure that the project comes off to his liking since I'm sure that most architects want anything with their name on it to be high quality.

There are also high-end prefab homes to consider... There's actually a thread in here about them. I was very surprised when I saw how nice some of them were. They tend to be much more design oriented than "builder homes" and are in a totally different category than the crap you see most builders put up. You also get the benefit of knowing exactly how much the house will cost you upfront. Most also allow for some degree of modification.

I was considering some of the prefab, but I havent done nearly enough research about them to this point. It seems like from what I have seen, that a good quality prefab in the square footage range I am looking for is going to run past my budget, but I am not going to give up on this option yet.

Originally Posted by Douglas
If you haven't done this before, and you have a pile of cash like you do, there is absolutely no excuse not to get an architect on board. Just having him there will introduce creative tension - this is good. It keeps everyone honest, it improves the level of discussion, and will improve your house immeasurably.

Not getting an architect because you're trying to save a few bucks while building a 3,500 sq. ft. custom home on your first dance is the definition of penny wise, pound foolish.

It seems like the consensus is that I really should meet with an architect first and maybe they will have a builder for me to work with. Something else I have came across is that a few of the "higher quality" builder firms with some background here in MA. are featured in Boston Home magazine. From looking at their websites some have architects, either in house or that they have a general relationship with. I am interested in meeting with some of these builders but I am worried their visibility and prestige in the boston area may bumped up their cost.

connorbuilding.com
twostoreybuilding.com
falloncustomhomes.com
feinmann.com
thoughtforms-corp.com
hampdendesign.com
mitchcogroup.com
sanfordcustom.com

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I was considering some of the prefab, but I havent done nearly enough research about them to this point. It seems like from what I have seen, that a good quality prefab in the square footage range I am looking for is going to run past my budget, but I am not going to give up on this option yet.

IMO research and time really is important. This isn't a "should I get this jacket, or that jacket?" decision. Avoid rushing and really spend time to learn about different options, styles, reasons, or whatever.

Originally Posted by pg600rr
It seems like the consensus is that I really should meet with an architect first and maybe they will have a builder for me to work with.

Not only builder, but a good architect will know many details, many more than the average person would be able to think about ahead of time including flooring options, counters, lighting details, and even down to the f'ing door knobs ... IMO the difference being the architect has a reason and a vision while developer has a business.

but, again, I has an obvious bias.

brandon1987

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that many custom homebuilders offer a certain number of design hours for you to work with their architects/designers "free of charge" (really it's just built into the contract price) as long as you commit to building the house with them. Once you are able to find a builder you are comfortable with this might be an option as it is a more convenient process and can work out to being less expensive than going to an architect, getting plans done up, and then finding a separate builder.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Sigmatic

Reaction score
As an architect who's dealt with many people in your situation, I highly recommend reading this website and her book:

http://www.notsobighouse.com/

It's not just about building smaller houses, it's also about getting the most for your money.

Then hire an architect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads