• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..."

shoesforever

Reaction score

Ok, first I would like to say that I know Dr.Martens aren't what we would normally consider quality shoes, but I do find the video interesting since I've never seen how they make their shoes before. They seem to use a PVC welt instead of one in leather. No stitching is used to attach the outer sole, but it is instead melted onto the welt. Yet, they still call this goodyearwelted.

22118972d0e55392fddc495969ead58d.jpg

Dandy_dapper

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, the procedure seems to be very rought, I have never thought that Goodyears Welt were so complicated to manufacture, they will last longer indeed.

Xune

Reaction score
I have never thought that Goodyears Welt were so complicated to manufacture
Then try to find some videos from handwelting :) Instead of gluing holdfast canvas you actually have to carve it from the insole (usually - and hopefully - one of better quality than in GYW) and then do the hard work manually.

what is a fiddle? :puzzled:
17:27 "with what we call a fiddle waist" If I heard correctly. I'm guessing it's fiddleback waist.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand what is a fiddle back waist. However, Tony said:" Basically what the rib does that the welt's stitched onto is it leaves a little bit of void, around about 3 mm between the sole and the insole of the shoe. So in that void we put a wooden shank in there and a fiddle to kind of give the shape and the support that you need and then we fill the whole void with cork."

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Yes, I guess he means he inserts something to mould the outsole around to give the shape of a fiddleback.

How do they make the fiddleback on bespokes? Do they carve it out of the thick insole or is it something inserted below the outsole?

Dandy_dapper

Reaction score
If you please could help me...

I´m looking for a pair of shoes for a different look to work, brown moonkstraps looks to risky?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
from that video, when Tony was talking about corking, 12:40 to 13:05, he mentioned a wooden shank, and a fiddle for shape.

what is a fiddle? :puzzled:

It's made of cork -or- preferably leather that's shaped and cemented on top of the foot-bed so that when the sole is attached the leather will follow the shape creating the fiddle appearance.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I guess he means he inserts something to mould the outsole around to give the shape of a fiddleback.

How do they make the fiddleback on bespokes? Do they carve it out of the thick insole or is it something inserted below the outsole?

Generally use a leather shank in bespoke, which you can shape however you like

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting video, but the similarity to bespoke shoes was mentioned so many times that it got to be a cliche. GG sure have their place in the upper end of RTW, but to infer its more bespoke than other GW shoes is a false claim. The irony is Tony showing the GW machine and admitting its introduction was the start of mass produced footwear. Bespoke is bespoke, RTW is RTW, and to blur the lines is to pull the wool over peoples eyes. Seems though Kirby was clearly leading him on, and Tony lapping it all up and not knowing where to draw the line. That to me though epitomizes GG - a newcomer still to find their identity. The quicker they solidify this, the more solid their base. Nothing against claiming using superior leathers or finish, but customers paying the top end of the RTW prices know or quickly discover the differences to bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads