• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorialist: Carlo Montanaro non buttar via... e meraviglioso

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this suit and the attendant fraying. How many would have put it on ebay, or worse?
Nice pics, Mr S.
CMc-1.jpg

... and others on the site... the full length pic is fantastic.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's got to be kidding. The stuff is rags. Unless I want to dress as a wino, I wouldn't wear that stuff.

Let me show you the future of fashion.
Let me show you Derelict!
It is a fashion
a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crackwhores that make this wonderful city so unique.

vintage looks good on shoes, leather goods, furniture.

i would keep the suits, pants, and shirts new and clean.

I don't think I could do the suit, but I would be very pleased to know that I managed to wrangle each and every penny out of it. I have had some T&A shirts converted to contrasting cuff/collar when they became worn and have been please with the results.

Absolutely no chance I would wear this. Sometimes you just have to let old items go.

The collar I could live with as it's partially hidden but the frayed sleeves are a bit much. If you're wearing a suit, it's because you are doing something that requires some degree of decorum or professionalism. Unless you are a hobo and cannot afford new clothes, wearing a visibly frayed suit is like wearing a costume that draws attention to you (not unlike some Thom Browne stuff) and disrespects your audience. It's like saying: I can dress however I want so **** you.

The only person who could get away with this would be 'the old Master' in well to do household. As such get older it is permissible for them to wear a faithful old and comfortable suit about the house in the day during retirement. they would of course have impeccably tailored suits etc to wear were someone of note or rank coming to call or when going out to town or club or indeed local function.

Otherwise the fire is the only place for such a garment

I'd wear it to a concert and thrash in it.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
He's got to be kidding. The stuff is rags. Unless I want to dress as a wino, I wouldn't wear that stuff.

Let me show you the future of fashion.
Let me show you Derelict!
It is a fashion
a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crackwhores that make this wonderful city so unique.

vintage looks good on shoes, leather goods, furniture.

i would keep the suits, pants, and shirts new and clean.

I don't think I could do the suit, but I would be very pleased to know that I managed to wrangle each and every penny out of it. I have had some T&A shirts converted to contrasting cuff/collar when they became worn and have been please with the results.

Absolutely no chance I would wear this. Sometimes you just have to let old items go.

The collar I could live with as it's partially hidden but the frayed sleeves are a bit much. If you're wearing a suit, it's because you are doing something that requires some degree of decorum or professionalism. Unless you are a hobo and cannot afford new clothes, wearing a visibly frayed suit is like wearing a costume that draws attention to you (not unlike some Thom Browne stuff) and disrespects your audience. It's like saying: I can dress however I want so **** you.

The only person who could get away with this would be 'the old Master' in well to do household. As such get older it is permissible for them to wear a faithful old and comfortable suit about the house in the day during retirement. they would of course have impeccably tailored suits etc to wear were someone of note or rank coming to call or when going out to town or club or indeed local function.

Otherwise the fire is the only place for such a garment

I'd wear it to a concert and thrash in it.

Quite possibly the fact that he has chosen to wear such a suit is a style statement as much as your T&A recycling. You say shoes, leather goods and furniture are valid for vintage wear and tear: Mr M obviously has a different perspective as to what falls into the boundaries of acceptable stylistic commentary.
Bring on the crack hoares and winos!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ready for dissection!
devil.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Mr M obviously has a different perspective as to what falls into the boundaries of acceptable stylistic commentary.
Bring on the crack hoares and winos!

Please consider salad in my teeth an example of my nonchalant spezzatura.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're breaking- or cracking-up nonchalantly? The best way to do it.
I'm sure you don't mean spezzatura, but something else...?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Also, there is a woman there named Sarah Rutson, someone in Italy please call the Red Cross immediately as she has obviously not had access to food for years.

Yeah, she's creepy thin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads