1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pickpackpockpuck, Jan 1, 2012.

1. the shah

the shah Senior member

what's even stranger is everything was listed in euros and then removed, re-listed in USD and location cali ... oh well i hope you right !

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

Yeah, seriously. It may as well be in New Jersey. Who typically gets the most Geller stock in NYC? I always feel like I see a handful of different pieces everywhere I go and never one place that gets a really good buy (that's without having gone to AR).

Snow, where is the sufu thread with that info, if you happen to know without having to dig...otherwise I can just stop being lazy and search myself :). Just wondering how it works.

3. Desi

Desi Senior member

Best Geller selection in NYC? ugh, still probably Rag. Barneys buys all the great pricy things but in 46+ and Assembly plays it so safe it is whatever. Bird is a good inbetween but like Barneys 46+

well sufu is down so....here is the email

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  4. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

yeah, i have no idea how to navigate sufu besides the supermarket lol.
    i received an email because i participated in the silent group buy.
    i deleted it bc i didnt think id want any geller stuff but then i came here ahah

5. the shah

the shah Senior member

why do you want geller stuff ?

6. pickpackpockpuck

Nice, thanks guys. Desi, you are very on top of things!

7. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Aloha Rag had the best buy that I've seen. Barneys and Bird get a few good pieces but a lot of boring stuff as well.

8. pickpackpockpuck

Trolling now? But you seem so genial otherwise. Santa Agatha would not approve!

I think Bird sends all the Geller to Williamsburg (not surprised really). The Park Slope location, which is the one nearest me, never seems to have anything.

9. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

bows, what's the best bet for finding 44's?

10. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i enjoy his sweatshirts mostly. thats why i rushed into the group buy only to find out it was for fw :laugh:

11. bows1

bows1 Senior member

No idea, ask Desi, thats his size as well.

And Shah stop hatin on everything :|

12. the shah

the shah Senior member

^ i'm not ! just that sweater :uhoh:

no i'm genuinely curious why you all enjoy his stuff. fabrics ? can't be--there are 1500 better designers for that. fit ? pants are retarded-looking (though comfy). ingenuity ? impossible. colors? limited. price point ? plausible. easily worked into existing wardrobes ? would ruin the challenge and creativity. mmm replica replicas ? i don't know who ever bought any. alwaysnever ? the guy is illiterate at best and worked for geller. romantic european in nyc ? my stuff is made in japan.

tell me. i need to know !

13. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

the dip dye sweater is a classic :slayer:

14. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Its fun and I like it.

15. snake

snake Senior member

blackbird is one of the few places that carry 44.

I'm not big on geller either, but I own two of his curved-placket fencing shirts and they are nice.

[​IMG]

16. artishard116

those are great. blackbird is good especially with price matching. would like to find a place in the city I can try things on at though. sounds like rag is worth a shot.

17. Desi

Desi Senior member

Blackbird wouldn't tell me what they bought but they said that their S/S buy is nice and includes more smaller sizes. They were even low on 46's this F/W.

18. artishard116

they price matched my trench to somewhere that only had a different color in a different size and it was on sale. then it dropped again right before i ordered and they matched that. awesome.

19. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

Before last season they told me they were getting a "Raglan Bomber" and a "Jersey Bomber" but neither ever showed up on the website.
    I suppose it could have been something they sold in store and never bothered to put on the site, I know they did that with some OV jeans this season. So it might be worth asking them once in a while if they have stuff other than what's online.

20. pickpackpockpuck

Simple, I like the way it looks (including the colors, the fabrics, the cuts, etc.) There is some truth to the points you make—mmm replica replicas have always kinda mystified me, for example. On the other hand, I don't think it matters where his stuff is produced; that Thom Browne has stuff made in Japan doesn't make his designs any less American. But in the end it's about personal preference, and there is no way to change an emotional reaction with logic. If you want me to examine it in more depth and get all psychological, I think part of that preference comes from the way Geller draws on imagery and art that has always appealed to me—dark, slightly gothy stuff that can be both austere and sentimental. I listen to a lot of classical music and old punk and post-punk sort of stuff; Geller's work fits right alongside both, despite the fact that they're very different. The feeling of nostalgia and romance in his work reminds me of the nostalgia and romance in some of the art I really like. That point of view, whatever you want to call it, he captures quite well. Also, to some degree, I like it because it is accessible in a way that something like Ann D. is not, both in terms of design and price. It's nice to be able to occasionally buy some of the stuff without having to scour Yoox for leftovers.