• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dingus Berry

Reaction score
Anyone with boots in suede able to attest to the durability of the suede? I was interested in getting a pair in black, but wanted to know if how 'tough' they are so-to-speak, relative to their other leathers.

aj805

Reaction score
Anyone able to remark on the width sizing for the RM boots-- I have 9.5 in G (medium) width, which fits nearly perfect, except the toe box is too narrow. I'm considering getting another pair in the next wider size, which adds apparently about 6mm around the ball, which should alleviate the problem. However, I am not certain how much, if any, the wider size will add to the instep/heel area, which currently fits perfectly. I have heard some shoemakers do not increase [noticeably?] the heel when adding width, mainly the front of the foot. Can anyone speak to this for RM?

Thanks

menacinghat

Reaction score
I'm a 7 in everything, but in my RMW Gardeners in 7 I struggle to get them on and off. Has anyone else had a similiar problem? Wondering if I should go up to a 7.5 or a 7 wide or if it's just the boot. Had them for 2 days.

if i get the next width up will the width of the heel also go up ? Does anyone with a high instep/arch struggle to get them on?

According to their sizing I should be wearing a 6 or a 6 1/2, anyone else sized down for rms who is not using american sizes?

Last edited:

Justinjj

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking to get a pair of RM Williams boots. My size is 7H. I'm keen on the shape of the Macquarie, but unfortunately it only comes in G width (I've tried 7G and it's too tight).

Are there any models which are very similar to the Macquarie but come in H width? Or would it be better for me to pick up an Macquarie in 8G (which has the same width as the 7H but would be longer which wouldn't be ideal).

Thanks

Dingus Berry

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking to get a pair of RM Williams boots. My size is 7H. I'm keen on the shape of the Macquarie, but unfortunately it only comes in G width (I've tried 7G and it's too tight).

Are there any models which are very similar to the Macquarie but come in H width? Or would it be better for me to pick up an Macquarie in 8G (which has the same width as the 7H but would be longer which wouldn't be ideal).

Thanks
Not sure if this'll work, but you can try asking their stockists (e.g. bootsonline, aussie bush hats etc) if they can do an MTO with wider sizes.

menacinghat

Reaction score
Is the craftsman narrower in width compared to turnout/gardener?

If i'm a 7f in rm williams turnout will i be a 7f in the craftsman?

Be interesting to see a turnout/garderner next to a craftsman.

Last edited:

tylernim

Reaction score
Why are stores like bootsonline allowed to sell at a price point that is less than the official RM Williams stores?

Justinjj

Reaction score
Why are stores like bootsonline allowed to sell at a price point that is less than the official RM Williams stores?
I'm guessing because it's another sales channel for RM and they don't need to pay for sales staff for those sales so they can still maintain their profit margin. I think those online stores must put through relatively high volumes. The team governing non-boutique sales is probably separate to the team responsible boutique sales, as they wouldn't want their business to be undercut.

tylernim

Reaction score
Fair enough.

I'm in Melbourne right now. Stopped by the flag ship store in the Central mall. It's cheaper for me to purchase via bootsonline and have the shipped than it is for me to purchase here and get my GST refund after.

milw50717

Reaction score
I'm in Melbourne right now. Stopped by the flag ship store in the Central mall. It's cheaper for me to purchase via bootsonline and have the shipped than it is for me to purchase here and get my GST refund after.

This is quite often the case and can make a whole lot of sense. There are some occasions where it is better to pay full retail at a B&M store - need it now, ability to check fit and finish, etc.

kaspal

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a pair of comfort craftsman around 2 years old, and there's an inner heel pad that appears to be glued on to the inner sole. There's a piece of red fabric that's come off and the pad underneath starts to become loose and twisted. Anyone else had this problem?

Here's a photo of what they look like next to a brand new pair. It looks like the heel pad is different and it also feels more bouncy. Could be age though.

wZVAZjU.jpg

Bullitt

Reaction score
Anyone else had this problem?

Yes, all my newer Craftman boots have the same problem; not with older pairs though.

I talked to the people in the RMW store and they ordered new pads for me. After a few months the new pads dissolved as well. Then I wrote an email to RMW and was sent the same type of pad again, which held up for an other three months. They didn’t charge for the replacement, but the pads are obviously not made to last.

Last edited:

giorgioorwell

Reaction score
Anyone ever had issues with ordering from bootsonline and then having them just sit stuck in the USPS ISC center (the Los Angeles one this time) for more than a week with no update and no way to find out what is going on?

From what I've read from others having problems with the ISC centers is that it could mean that customs is taking a while to get to them, or they are lost...either way apparently, an official inquiry report can't be logged for 45 days.

Super annoying, and the tracking number given doesn't have any actual info. The bootsonline folks said that Australia Post told them it has cleared customs, when I went to my local post office with tracking, they just laughed and said oh, no, that hasn't cleared customs, "ISC is customs", and that it can sit there for weeks sometimes.

Second time I've ordered from bootsonline, first time I ordered some Gardeners on a Monday and recieived the followign Tuesday, one day at the ISC.

This time I ordered Craftsmans and they were shipped on the 11th and here I am on the 22nd and they've disappeared into a black hole....

UPDATE: Never mind, all good, received on the 25th, with no update from USPS until they were literally delivered, but will leave this here just in case people have similar issues with boots getting stuck at the USPS ISC...long story short, stuck at ISC for 7 days and then shipped. Not too bad but the USPS tracking system is a joke for international imports.

Last edited:

ShouldHaveStayedHome

Reaction score
So I've used style forum for advice about sports jackets, suits, shirts, shaving, but have never really had a good reason to post.

I've enjoyed reading this particular thread and seeing what people around the world think of my favourite shoes and a national icon.

My old and very dear friends may soon go into semi retirement. Dad bought them in the early nineties and I pinched them when I went to uni in 2001. He'd stopped wearing them because they needed new elastic, easy fixed.
They have not lived the life of a finely crafted pair of footware. They lived forgotten about, in a sunny spot in the shearing shed for at least a year. I've worn them up mountains, chased sheep, ridden bikes, dug holes, kicked a few choice objects, been to the pub several times, walked a lot of miles, often after or between pubs, into the office, at least one wedding, and two floods.
I polished them at least once a decade.
I have socks less comfortable than these boots.
They may be in need of a bit of sit down.

I was swayed by a really good sale, the fact one of my good friends went to a lot of trouble to die a pair this colour, and, unfortunately nothing goes on forever.

Exhibit a) Craftsman - 11H CF. Well worn, well loved, but not particularly well cared for.
Exhibit b) Comfort Craftsman - 11.5G CF. Burgundy/Oily Kip.

IMG_20171005_193807_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171005_193819_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171004_190723_HDR.jpg

milw50717

Reaction score
Oh jeez, you got some serious cracks in those old boots, it would seem to be a good time to (semi)retire them. Maybe try conditioning the new ones occasionally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics