RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. LAB

LAB New Member

Thank you so much for the response! I've heard communication with Nungar can be dodgy, but that they're well established. Glad to hear they're still doing MTO and that the comfort sole is most likely possible.

Also thanks for the warning on the Adelaide. I tend to accidentally purchase my shoes too narrow, so it's something very important I be aware of when sizing for these. I'm leaning most towards Hallett currently, so it should be okay.

Congrats on your purchase! Has to be exciting :D

2. camysue

camysue New Member

Thanks! I'm very excited lol. I tend to buy too narrow as well, so I'm hoping these are fine!! They are a men's shoe after all. I did some recon and called the store and they said the yearling actually doesn't fit that much more narrow than the craftsman.

Good luck with your purchase. If they won't make the Hallett with comfort sole, I saw somewhere that the yearling can be ordered with Cuban heel so that is another option. As far as I can tell they are very similar.

3. Dingus Berry

Dingus Berry Member

Anyone with boots in suede able to attest to the durability of the suede? I was interested in getting a pair in black, but wanted to know if how 'tough' they are so-to-speak, relative to their other leathers.

4. aj805

aj805 Senior member

Anyone able to remark on the width sizing for the RM boots-- I have 9.5 in G (medium) width, which fits nearly perfect, except the toe box is too narrow. I'm considering getting another pair in the next wider size, which adds apparently about 6mm around the ball, which should alleviate the problem. However, I am not certain how much, if any, the wider size will add to the instep/heel area, which currently fits perfectly. I have heard some shoemakers do not increase [noticeably?] the heel when adding width, mainly the front of the foot. Can anyone speak to this for RM?

Thanks

5. menacinghat

menacinghat New Member

I'm a 7 in everything, but in my RMW Gardeners in 7 I struggle to get them on and off. Has anyone else had a similiar problem? Wondering if I should go up to a 7.5 or a 7 wide or if it's just the boot. Had them for 2 days.

if i get the next width up will the width of the heel also go up ? Does anyone with a high instep/arch struggle to get them on?

According to their sizing I should be wearing a 6 or a 6 1/2, anyone else sized down for rms who is not using american sizes?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

6. Justinjj

Justinjj New Member

Hi there,

I'm looking to get a pair of RM Williams boots. My size is 7H. I'm keen on the shape of the Macquarie, but unfortunately it only comes in G width (I've tried 7G and it's too tight).

Are there any models which are very similar to the Macquarie but come in H width? Or would it be better for me to pick up an Macquarie in 8G (which has the same width as the 7H but would be longer which wouldn't be ideal).

Thanks

7. Dingus Berry

Dingus Berry Member

Not sure if this'll work, but you can try asking their stockists (e.g. bootsonline, aussie bush hats etc) if they can do an MTO with wider sizes.

8. menacinghat

menacinghat New Member

Is the craftsman narrower in width compared to turnout/gardener?

If i'm a 7f in rm williams turnout will i be a 7f in the craftsman?

Be interesting to see a turnout/garderner next to a craftsman.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017

9. tylernim

tylernim Well-Known Member

Why are stores like bootsonline allowed to sell at a price point that is less than the official RM Williams stores?

10. Justinjj

Justinjj New Member

I'm guessing because it's another sales channel for RM and they don't need to pay for sales staff for those sales so they can still maintain their profit margin. I think those online stores must put through relatively high volumes. The team governing non-boutique sales is probably separate to the team responsible boutique sales, as they wouldn't want their business to be undercut.

11. tylernim

tylernim Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

I'm in Melbourne right now. Stopped by the flag ship store in the Central mall. It's cheaper for me to purchase via bootsonline and have the shipped than it is for me to purchase here and get my GST refund after.

12. milw50717

milw50717 Senior member

This is quite often the case and can make a whole lot of sense. There are some occasions where it is better to pay full retail at a B&M store - need it now, ability to check fit and finish, etc.

13. kaspal

kaspal Member

Hey guys,
    I have a pair of comfort craftsman around 2 years old, and there's an inner heel pad that appears to be glued on to the inner sole. There's a piece of red fabric that's come off and the pad underneath starts to become loose and twisted. Anyone else had this problem?

Here's a photo of what they look like next to a brand new pair. It looks like the heel pad is different and it also feels more bouncy. Could be age though.

[​IMG]

14. Bullitt

Bullitt Senior member

Yes, all my newer Craftman boots have the same problem; not with older pairs though.

I talked to the people in the RMW store and they ordered new pads for me. After a few months the new pads dissolved as well. Then I wrote an email to RMW and was sent the same type of pad again, which held up for an other three months. They didn’t charge for the replacement, but the pads are obviously not made to last.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017 at 1:11 PM

15. giorgioorwell

giorgioorwell New Member

Anyone ever had issues with ordering from bootsonline and then having them just sit stuck in the USPS ISC center (the Los Angeles one this time) for more than a week with no update and no way to find out what is going on?

From what I've read from others having problems with the ISC centers is that it could mean that customs is taking a while to get to them, or they are lost...either way apparently, an official inquiry report can't be logged for 45 days.

Super annoying, and the tracking number given doesn't have any actual info. The bootsonline folks said that Australia Post told them it has cleared customs, when I went to my local post office with tracking, they just laughed and said oh, no, that hasn't cleared customs, "ISC is customs", and that it can sit there for weeks sometimes.

Second time I've ordered from bootsonline, first time I ordered some Gardeners on a Monday and recieived the followign Tuesday, one day at the ISC.

This time I ordered Craftsmans and they were shipped on the 11th and here I am on the 22nd and they've disappeared into a black hole....