RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Mrlol

Mrlol Senior member

I trried size 10.5g and it was to roomy and heel slipage. I putted in a insole and all was good but with heel slipage. So my question is would 10.5f work for me? I also heard that you can buy from a heel support, correct? Any experience with that?
    Size 10g is perfect but to short in the lenght
    What products do you recommend me to buy If i had some heel slipage im size 10.5

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  2. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Just thought I'd post that I am currently in Texas road tripping around with my lovely wife, and my Coffee Turnouts are the main footwear of choice here, even if it is a little warm...the RMs stand up mighty fine down here in Texas next to all the cowboy boots...no contest in my opinion (& I've got a ripping pair of Texas cowboy boots that I left at home too this time round)...wearing them proudly!

That is all :)

3. onoudidntgf

onoudidntgf Senior member

Has RM Williams ever made a tan suede Macquarie? Is there anywhere I can get one made?

4. buckle276

buckle276 New Member

Been weighing up whether to go for some Comfort Craftsmans for a while. I have a couple of questions, if anyone is able to provide some input I'd really appreciate it.

One of the big selling points for the RM boots that people often refer to is the durability - "I've had mine for 10/20/30 years". This sounds great, but I'm also curious to hear whether anyone who has had a pair for a long period of time has had the chance to compare to the boots being sold today, particularly since ownership has changed hands. I feel that this is particularly important, given the price bumps in recent years - I'd like to know that there hasn't been any sacrifice in quality in recent times.

Second, regarding the Rum yearling - I've heard both from employees in-store and online that the Rum marks more easily, or at the very least the marks are harder to conceal due to no polish being available that is able to replicate the original Rum colour. My concern here is that the leather is going to get scuffed up to the point of not being presentable - particularly after the decades of use that you're supposedly able to get out of them! Has anyone that's gone with the Rum got any input on how they've fared?

Really appreciate any input - it's a big investment!

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Senior member

I have had a pair of Comfort Craftman in black yearling for over eight years. I have been wearing them a lot and will hopefully wear them for an other eight years. Soon they will be resoled and have the elastics replaced. Recently I bought a new pair of Craftman with a leather sole. They look good, but don’t seem to be as well made as the old ones. Only time will tell…

The RMW Rum leather is pull-up leather. Of course it marks more easily than other leather. It is also quite easy to brush away scratches, because of the oils and waxes in the leather. One shouldn’t use polish or other products on this kind of leather, it would only destroy the patina. If you don’t like patina on shoes, you should not get a pair of rum-coloured Craftman.

6. sensuki

sensuki Member

I picked up a pair from the BootsOnline brick and mortar store today as well. On sale at the moment for $429

Dark Chestnut Comfort Crafstman in 7G. I tried 6.5G first, fit like a glove through the heel and arch but the toebox was too short/tapered for my forefoot. Sized up to the 7G, a little bit loose in the heel and arch but the toebox is a good fit. I'm getting some puckering at the seams of the elastic stitching, the tension in the thread was probably slightly off when sewn. Nice and comfy though!