• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buckle276

Reaction score
Been weighing up whether to go for some Comfort Craftsmans for a while. I have a couple of questions, if anyone is able to provide some input I'd really appreciate it.

One of the big selling points for the RM boots that people often refer to is the durability - "I've had mine for 10/20/30 years". This sounds great, but I'm also curious to hear whether anyone who has had a pair for a long period of time has had the chance to compare to the boots being sold today, particularly since ownership has changed hands. I feel that this is particularly important, given the price bumps in recent years - I'd like to know that there hasn't been any sacrifice in quality in recent times.

Second, regarding the Rum yearling - I've heard both from employees in-store and online that the Rum marks more easily, or at the very least the marks are harder to conceal due to no polish being available that is able to replicate the original Rum colour. My concern here is that the leather is going to get scuffed up to the point of not being presentable - particularly after the decades of use that you're supposedly able to get out of them! Has anyone that's gone with the Rum got any input on how they've fared?

Really appreciate any input - it's a big investment!

Bullitt

Reaction score
Been weighing up whether to go for some Comfort Craftsmans for a while. I have a couple of questions, if anyone is able to provide some input I'd really appreciate it.

I have had a pair of Comfort Craftman in black yearling for over eight years. I have been wearing them a lot and will hopefully wear them for an other eight years. Soon they will be resoled and have the elastics replaced. Recently I bought a new pair of Craftman with a leather sole. They look good, but don’t seem to be as well made as the old ones. Only time will tell…

The RMW Rum leather is pull-up leather. Of course it marks more easily than other leather. It is also quite easy to brush away scratches, because of the oils and waxes in the leather. One shouldn’t use polish or other products on this kind of leather, it would only destroy the patina. If you don’t like patina on shoes, you should not get a pair of rum-coloured Craftman.

sensuki

Reaction score
I picked up a pair from the BootsOnline brick and mortar store today as well. On sale at the moment for $429

Dark Chestnut Comfort Crafstman in 7G. I tried 6.5G first, fit like a glove through the heel and arch but the toebox was too short/tapered for my forefoot. Sized up to the 7G, a little bit loose in the heel and arch but the toebox is a good fit. I'm getting some puckering at the seams of the elastic stitching, the tension in the thread was probably slightly off when sewn. Nice and comfy though!

SpeedBird

Reaction score

One of the big selling points for the RM boots that people often refer to is the durability - "I've had mine for 10/20/30 years". This sounds great, but I'm also curious to hear whether anyone who has had a pair for a long period of time has had the chance to compare to the boots being sold today, particularly since ownership has changed hands. I feel that this is particularly important, given the price bumps in recent years - I'd like to know that there hasn't been any sacrifice in quality in recent times.

Second, regarding the Rum yearling - I've heard both from employees in-store and online that the Rum marks more easily, or at the very least the marks are harder to conceal due to no polish being available that is able to replicate the original Rum colour. My concern here is that the leather is going to get scuffed up to the point of not being presentable - particularly after the decades of use that you're supposedly able to get out of them! Has anyone that's gone with the Rum got any input on how they've fared?

Really appreciate any input - it's a big investment!

MY oldest pair is over 25 years, they are on its last legs, at some stage it is cheaper to buy a new pair then get then repaired. The leather upper will wear through with hair line cracks, and the lining on the inside will wear thin. The sole will need replacing etc. I rotate mine and the oldest pair I own I am ready to throw out. No amount of polishing will fix hair line cracks that go thru to the inside. Time Vs Cost. But also remember this when I brought then they costed me not much. Divide that by 25 years and you have a value nothing can compare. For then to last this long, it is constant care with conditioner and polish monthly. Soles and heel tops replace yearly. Elastics when they no longer support the sides.

I feel the Quality of the current production ones do not compare the standard of my first pair, I feel in todays world, cost and time have come into play and these are made to a cost. Back in the old days they took the time to build it right with tradition, now it is all about volume more then ever.

milw50717

Reaction score
This sounds great, but I'm also curious to hear whether anyone who has had a pair for a long period of time has had the chance to compare to the boots being sold today, particularly since ownership has changed hands. I feel that this is particularly important, given the price bumps in recent years - I'd like to know that there hasn't been any sacrifice in quality in recent times.

I mentioned in a post on the previous page that when I compared a new vs 20 year old pair of Gardener boots that the leather was thinner on the new pair. That is not too say that they will not last a long time, however.

nygooner

Reaction score
Hi - I just received a pair of Rum craftsman in the mail and while I understand the leather is bound to have some marks, this seems excessive.
20170623_073359.jpg

Last edited:

aj805

Reaction score
... fit like a glove through the heel and arch but the toebox was too short/tapered for my forefoot. Sized up to the 7G, a little bit loose in the heel and arch but the toebox is a good fit...

I have had a similar experience, and have heard of quite a few others with the same as well. My fit is just slightly larger than I'd prefer through the heel and instep, and too snug through that bizarre-ly tapered toebox. I thought this would wear in with time, but have since learned that there is plastic in the toebox, so this is not happening. I do not think going up in width or length would work since then the heel would be far too loose. Though I would not promote this as a good idea, I actually reshaped the toebox a bit with a hair dryer, to limited but good effect.

Bullitt

Reaction score
Hi - I just received a pair of Rum craftsman in the mail and while I understand the leather is bound to have some marks, this seems excessive. View attachment 802232

Looks like superficial scratches, probably the result of the boots rubbing against each other in the box. You should be able to easily get rid of it with a horse-hair shoebrush.

nygooner

Reaction score
Looks like superficial scratches, probably the result of the boots rubbing against each other in the box. You should be able to easily get rid of it with a horse-hair shoebrush.
Thanks, will give it a shot

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I trried size 10.5g and it was to roomy and heel slipage. I putted in a insole and all was good but with heel slipage. So my question is would 10.5f work for me? I also heard that you can buy from a heel support, correct? Any experience with that?
Size 10g is perfect but to short in the lenght
What products do you recommend me to buy If i had some heel slipage im size 10.5

Years ago I went through this exercise - I`m a UK 8.5E (GG, CJ) and a Whites 9D, and I found the best size in RMW was a 9 1/2 F. The G`s I find were quite wide, and equivalent say to the UK F or US E, and I found the narrower fit with some toe room the best fit by sizing up length and down width at RMW. Wearing the shoes now again though, I feel that a 9F might be the best fit compared to my previous two sizes, but adjust through thicker socks. RMW was trickier than I expected, but do try socks to adjust as well - I find that adding insoles and the like can come with other issues (slippage, noise etc.)

Snorpley

Reaction score
Enquired with RM Customer Service via email this week about their current Made-to-Order programme. Since the launch of their 'Bespoke service', I was no longer sure it existed at all. Several years ago (prior to the much talked about LVMH acquisition) I had ordered Brown suede Turnouts (because they are available in widths much narrower than a Craftsman) which I customised with the natural sole edging after seeing a picture on SF many months earlier.
My email was replied to promptly, and I was pleased to hear that MTO boots were still possible, with the main difference between Bespoke and MTO being the more limited choice of leathers and colours, plus being 'locked-in' to each materials corresponding elastic/thread/sole colour.
I went into a store (St Ives, Sydney) to enquire further and was impressed with the service received. I placed an order for Suede Turnouts in Black and was pleased that the Sales Assistant allowed me to order the boots with natural edging, something the Customer Service team at HQ said was not on offer.
MTO boots are RRP plus $50, which to me is a very reasonable premium to have to pay, all things considered.
The boots will come to me via the store where they have committed to ensure I'm perfectly satisfied with the fit, even if it means they need additional work from the factory, or a complete reorder.
The experience and service has been positive so far, and I'll post a few pics on delivery and let you know my thoughts on them.
All the best,
S.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads