Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sator, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ShouldHaveStayedHome

ShouldHaveStayedHome Member

I'd take them to your cobbler for a diagnosis.

If it is just the insole then I'd just have it glued down to avoid postal pain.
    But
    From the way you've described it, it could be the shank moving in the boot, which is a bit crap, and you probably want to send them back.

See what your shoemaker says. As annoying as it is to send them back, I've only heard good things about the warranty.

2. Snorpley

Snorpley Active Member

Hi Camysue,
    Getting a clearer diagnosis is a great first step, per the suggestion of ShouldHaveStayedHome. Then I'd consider
    writing to RM Williams Customer Service directly with photos or short video(if that helps) of the problem and your proof of purchase. Though you bought them from Nungar, the product itself is defective so that responsibility SHOULD lie with the factory. I have mixed experiences with Customer Service department there, but it won't hurt to follow up the issue with both Nungar and RMW, and put it back onto them to resolve. Because quality-control issues should provide some considerable motivation for a company which loves to talk about how long these boots last.
    But yes, see if your cobbler mate can clear things up first.
    All the best,
    S.

3. Snorpley

Snorpley Active Member

Howdy Sydneysiders,

A few years (I think) after closing down the only Outlet store in NSW, RMW have opened one up inside the DFO at Homebush.

I visited last week (ever cynical about RMW these days) but was pleasantly surprised at what was on offer. The boots available were mostly G fits (with the odd H), There were plenty of Yearling Craftsman in Black from memory, and a table with an assortment of Suede, Distressed and other leathers. It was Christmas for anyone who was an 8G (many things I picked up seemed to be this very size). The 'flaws' are never too bad, examples being some tan leather with minor variation to the uppers (texture/colour density), or scuffing. My father-in-law purchased some suedes which were a bit dirty, but my penchant for shoe care had these looking spotless in 90 minutes later that day (Saphir Suede Shampoo anyone?? Gard Dayum!)
    For the girls there were loads of black leather Adelaides in the Narrow D fit. Strangely, these black Adelaides were Moroccan made (first time I'd seen a non-Aus made version of this boot. It was my understanding that classic Craftsman and Adelaides (the newer female equivalent) were 'flagships' of sorts, to always be made in Adelaide, but that appears to not be the case. In any event, if provenance is important to you then it might pay to check the tugs or the insole for the country of origin before pulling the trigger.

Craftsman with no discernible flaws (maybe excess stock?) - 350
    Assorted leathers and colours - 299
    'Moroccan' Adelaides (D Width) - 200 (if memory serves me correctly)

Clothes were well priced also (better than half price).

It's certainly a place I'll be visiting periodically (which is annoying, as the parking sucks). I'll let y'all know if I see anything of note on my future visits.

All the best,
    S.

4. ShouldHaveStayedHome

I bought mine from the outlet in Canberra. The Kangaroo they came from had been in a fight at some stage, but it's not obvious.
    The lady said in terms of size and make, they just get what they get because they're mostly seconds, with some end of run seasonal styles.

They also had, in black, a mens boot that would be similar to a Blaxland (craftsman shape, comfort outsole, leather inner) but called something else.
    Made in,.... not Australia (Can't say morocco for sure, can't remember).
    They are NOT a whole cut boot.

I'd be curious to know, were the Adelaide's actually labelled as such? Or similar just similar/same style? And were they whole cut?

5. camysue

camysue Member

Thanks. I just emailed them both a little video of the issue. It really sucks because they are otherwise amazingly comfortable. But I can't be slithering around the office trying not to draw attention to the weird noise my boot is making. I'll see what they say, but I feel like it's going to be a matter of spending 100$ shipping back and forth from Australia and having to wait another month or spending that on the fancy cobbler here and having them in a week. I suggested they send me a new pair from the NYC store and let me send this pair back there.

6. camysue

camysue Member

I'm really thinking it's the glue
    Oh I didn't think about the shank. Really it's stressing me out knowing that it'll be repaired by an outside party when they're brand new shoes. I emailed them and I'll see what they say. It really sucks because I ordered from nungar to save a bit of money and I'll likely lose any of that now on shipping back and forth.

7. Snorpley

Snorpley Active Member

Hey there,
    Adelaides we're whole cuts and labelled as Adelaides.
    I was expecting a different name as you have seen with other boots.

8. Snorpley

Snorpley Active Member

One of my Craftsman boots sounds like a frog when I walk. I've read (from SF) that it could be a shank, but somewhere along the line I inserted an insole (RMW branded). It was adhesive-backed. It's perhaps more likely that is the culprit for me. I don't wear them enough to look further into that one.

9. camysue

camysue Member

The cobbler says it's the shank that's loose. That it's a design flaw because of the bend angle. He says the best solution is to put 3 nails on either side. He'll do it and the other shoe for 15$ and they'll be ready in a week. I just went ahead and had him do it. Haven't heard back from RM yet, but shipping back to AUS will cost me over $60 and then I'd have to wait another month or two. I figured I'd eventually have to have them resoled anyway, so what's a couple nails?

10. shortlefty

shortlefty Senior member

Is it still possible to purchase RM Williams at $300 USD?

11. ShouldHaveStayedHome

12. Dingus Berry

Dingus Berry Member

Closest you can get online AFAIK is from Nungar

13. kaspal

kaspal Member

Thanks for this, would be keen to see what they have in my size 5.5F. Although I have to say, I wouldn't pay $350 for seconds when you can get brand new craftsmans for $400 at Nungar.

I bought mine from the factory outlet in Perth for $300 only 2 years ago and that was after the price had been jacked up from $250.