• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beepbop

Reaction score
TvX7tQM.jpg

orSlow pants

Fabric feels pretty substantial for a 80/20 cotton/linen blend. The pants have a drawstring waist, belt loops, and a snap waist closure too.

6Gxf3Qe.jpg

Othello

Reaction score
Calvin klein jacquard "denim" jacket, pretty cool has a hidden placket
dries viscose viscose floral shirt
officine generale suede slip ons
and Margiela foxes shirt-sad since this ones going back, unknowingly bought the deconstructed version. If anyone knows where to get the version that isn't constructed with snaps let me know

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3528.JPG

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Congrats, you nailed preppy, hippie, dad-core, hypebeast, Pitti-boy — all in one shoe!
;-)

- - -

A lot of boring-ish RPs for me in the past couple months, feel free to skip over this post. I’m finally maxed out of closet space, so this is it for me for awhile (famous last words). In an effort to be less impulsive about kopping and more honest about what I really wear day-to-day, I took a little time to wear everything first before posting. And I even jotted down some poorly written reviews! I basically want to avoid this:

img-barbara-kruger.jpg

Stuff:

RPs.jpg

Padmore & Barnes
A nicer version of the Clarks’ wallabee: lined insoles, better details, nicer color. I’m still debating whether wallabies are me, though. They've got too much of a 1970s Dartmouth English major vibe. On the flip side, they are super comfy, and go with my reggae obsession. Extra nerd factor: the P&B logo is Cooper Black — how can you not like that? Yep, the crepe will get super grody in about a week, so that’s a bummer. I’ve tried them Wes Anderson style (flannels and a sheltland) but I think they’d be better with an army parka, a pint of bitter and a sneer.

Enjoyment: 3.5 stars (out of 5)
How It Fits: size 8UK runs about 1/4 size big on me (true size US9)
Quality: great
Price: ~$145

Falcon A2
I’m nervy about MTM, but this turned out pretty well. Great service, quick turnaround. I already have a black lamb version and thought brown would go with the color stuff I’ve been wearing recently. I can’t really pull off the DR rocker look, so a slim A2 is more my speed. Plus, it keeps it from looking too George Castanza. I went with snaps instead of buttons on the pockets. It still has that “new leather jacket smell” after a few hours at a ramen joint and a dive bar. Goat is a nice compromise between soft lamb and heavy calf.

E: 3.5 stars
F: Great. Went for size 48 but requested 47 length (perfect!)
Q: Very good, construction and materials
P: ~$875

Aspesi Trench
The dreaded short trench that @sipang will disapprove of, however on me it’s more like knee-length. Impulse buy inspired by @1969. Last month we had crazy, muddy rain, and I didn’t want to wear my nice Lemaire. This has a striped blanket style wool lining, but I took off, since it’s, uh like, 75F degrees as I write this in February. Curse you China for inventing climate change! I like the traditional styling, but would prefer a more polished fabric. The Aspesi shell is more of a casual, soft tumbled/washed cotton. Good for muddy dog walks though.

E: : 4 stars
F: Very well. Raglan shoulder might look better? Not complaining though.
Q: Very good
P: I paid $75 (used, fair/good condition). I think these are quite a bit more new

Vans Customs
My attempt to have EG Vans without paying 250 bucks. Is it wrong to just buy the original that the designer version is based on? I don’t think so! Anyway I've always liked the EG palette and Vans offer a couple colors in that range. Last year I went for "Ivy Green", this time it's “Glazed Ginger” which is sort of dirty rust. The silver eyelets and white foxing details make it look a bit more unique than standard Vans. I’m addicted to the Ultra Cush sole. So yeah. That’s what I got. I pretty much wear Vans five out of seven days a week.

E: 4 stars
F: OK. Unfortunately customs seem to run larger than standard models.
Q: Good enough!
P: $85

EG Batik Sport Coat
Inspired by @penanceroyaltea outfits. Botanical, batik print in tans, ochre, rust, blue heavy cotton. Patch pockets to annoy naheun. Early 60s tiki vibe to annoy everyone else. So far I’ve only worn it while working at home. Would go well with a mai tai @Synthese and a hi-fi.

E: 4.5 stars
F: great, size M
Q: Very good. Very good fabric.
P: used, mint condition $125

British Army Jacket
I’ve been on the hunt for the jacket that Bob Marley wore in the late 70s. After some extensive gooogling and skimming vintage military uniform sites (p.s. beware of leaving the walls of SW&D), I found a guy on eBay who was able to track one down in my size. After some suggestions on SF that this design might be Cuban or Latin American, turns out it’s just a basic British Army work jacket (non-combat) from the 60s. Standard olive drab jacket, but the fit is kind of English jaunty: nipped waist with string belt, hacking pockets and hidden button placket. A nice all-round mild weather jacket.

E: 5 stars
F: very nice tailored fit in size 5 (sizing goes from 1-9 based on height/chest)
W: average, very basic sewing
P: used, mint condition $45

Yohji Western Shirt
I got a couple denim shirts recently — I think I’m experiencing a slight hippie phase (ahem, @ManofKent )— Blue Blue Japan and this one. The BB is arguably more interesting (fabric, buttons, etc), but this gets the mention. The light chambray and lower front yoke pockets make it relaxed, but not oversized. Very comfy, and still has the Santa Barbara rancher vibe I wanted. In any case, it makes me happy and feels good. Side note: does anyone know what these one-button slanted pockets are called on western shirts? The BBJ shirt has “sawtooth” pockets with two snaps. I’m still on the hunt for a 70s patchwork version.

E: 3 stars
F: very well, size 4
Q: very good
P: used, very good condition $55

Kapital Ring Jacket
I’ve had one of these before and sold it. I think it was because it had the spiral metal buttons instead of regular horn/plastic. Somehow that bugged me. As you know, this jacket is weird. Like, it never settles down into a regular shape but still somehow looks intriguing. I need to wear it a few more times to know if I really like it. Until I figure out how to dress like Kamote Joe, I’m just wearing it with jeans, tee and Vans. I forgot to bid on a golden tan version (pictured) which is what I really wanted, so this was a consolation purchase. Take note, kids: don’t let your impulses get in the way of good decisions!

Enjoyment: 2 stars, so far
Fit: unsure
Quality: good. but condition is just fair, some areas faded
Price: used $130

Melinda Gloss Knit
I didn't know about this brand (and Officine Generale) until @Maxwelll pointed them out recently. I like their vintage-y 60-70s vibe. I’m a sucker for the mid-century lifestyle stuff in their journal, too. I’m one voile shirt away from wearing wearing silk neckerchiefs to Starbucks, so read with caution. I picked up a purple Victor Vasarely-inspired geometric print crewneck sweater. This is definitely my 70s phase. Made in Italy and really nice.

Enjoyment: 3.5 stars
Fit: all fit me very well, knit size M, shirts 40
Quality: very good, tightly knit wool, great sewing
Price: used $60

White Jeans Face Off: Uniqlo vs. Margiela
I needed a new pair of white jeans to replace my ratty 511s. What’s better than a new pair of white jeans? Two pairs! The Margiela are more of a butter cream and the Uniqlo (pictured) are kind of bone white. Both are pretty nice and have their places. Of course there is a price difference (Margiela $400 retail) and Uniqlo ($40 retail), but here’s how they stacked up for me:

Design: MMM — nicer details, hook fly closure, back rise/yoke and stacks looks good, but Uniqlo a close second
Color: UQ — bone white easier to pair with other colors
Comfort/Fit: UQ — a tiny bit of stretch makes them more comfy
Quality: MMM — nicer fabric, sewing and hardware
Price: MMM used/good $100 UQ new/discounted $35

Suede Chelseas
Been looking for some suede chelseas with a rounder toe, but not too bulky or elongated. This was an experiment and not that successful. I ended up with two pairs: Mark McNairy New Republic CP-knockoffs (yeah, ******* crepe again)—and a pair of Sanders with leather sole. The NR kinda feel like desert boots: comfy and super casual. The Sanders have a cowboy-Ralph vibe. I’m moderately happy with both, but they each have their pros and cons. tldr: I haven't found the perfect casual chelsea.

New Republic
Enjoyment: 2.5 stars
Fit: these run narrow. I had to stretch the width, but now they now fit well and are comfortable.
Quality: OK, not too bad for the price
Price: $99

Sanders
E: 2 stars (for now)
F: TTS, look good, but insole feels like plywood.
Q: Good
P: $260

Junya Sport Coat
Junya’s version of Americana generally resonates me. It's a little more polished and modern than the repro brands. Anyway I like the Seil Marschell collabs and I found this blazer on Rakuten. It has a fishing/camping vibe, but I like to think of it as nautical/sailing. That’s more my thing. The hooded anorak version (specifically the Hawaiian print one) is a better design, but I saw this blazer version and (impulse again!) grabbed it. It’s reversible: solid navy and plaid. Lots of great details. So far, I've worn it with white jeans and Vans. It has a bit of an EG Bedford vibe.

E: 3 stars
F: very well, size M is spot on for me in Junya
Q: very good
P: $240 (used)

Uniqlo U Sweatshirt
These are great. Decent material, classic design. Not much else to say. In addition to this Pepto Bismal pink, I got the hunter green. Lemaire U is pretty good. Pretty, pretty good.

E: 3.5 stars
F: very well, had to go with size Small
Q: totally fine. Good maybe?
P: can’t remember $30?

Dries Norwegian Cardigan
Chunky, belted knit in F.U. kelly green and pale gray Nordic folk pattern. Amazing quality and expensive for a 10-year old used sweater. But, whatever, I love this thing. Wore it to one of those holiday sweater parties and crushed it. Suck it, all you ironic, corny-reindeer-sweater-wearing people. This is the sweater to rule all sweaters.

E: 5 stars
F: does it matter?
Q: amazing
P: not telling

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice haul, Parker. I’ll try P&B after my Clarks Wallabies get grungy. I’v got the CP sand suede Chelseas coming in the next coupla’ days, but concerned the toe-box might be a bit more elongated than I was originally wanting, but could keep them out of the desert boot realm. A2 looks great too.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Parker yes I'm quite pleased with myself

Glad to hear the Padmores worked out. Good haul too (but now I'm left pondering which of the short trench or the crepe chelsea I dislike the most)

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is sipang wearing these days? I'm curious. Would not have expected those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads