• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vis 101 ita suede

il_colonnello

Reaction score

No. Model is 6ft 4" tall, so any OTR blazer/jacket will look short on him.

We seem to be going in circles with this.

Yes, that model is tall, as most models tend to be. So maybe one thing we can all agree on is that fashion models tend to be taller (and less fat) than the general population, and clothes designers - although this is my speculation - are probably aware of that when they create patterns for OTR anything (including, but not limited to, suits and blazers).

Having said that, have you looked at the picture of that TB suit from the back? How short do you expect anyone IRL to be for that jacket to have a chance of covering the wearer's ass? 5ft 5", maybe? That's not your average dude either, is it? My point was directed at @0JSIMPS0N (whose opinions I usually appreciate; he has a way of wording them sometimes that exasperates people but he's one of the few posters in WAYWT with a sharp eye for what works and what doesn't, as opposed to the droves of sheep who thumb everything that ticks the approved names): If like me you don't like short suits/blazers, what does it matter if it's by design or because the wearer happens to be too tall to wear OTR? The effect is always the same, a jacket that doesn't cover your ass.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We seem to be going in circles with this.

Yes, that model is tall, as most models tend to be. So maybe one thing we can all agree on is that fashion models tend to be taller (and less fat) than the general population, and clothes designers - although this is my speculation - are probably aware of that when they create patterns for OTR anything (including, but not limited to, suits and blazers).

Having said that, have you looked at the picture of that TB suit from the back? How short do you expect anyone IRL to be for that jacket to have a chance of covering the wearer's ass? 5ft 5", maybe? That's not your average dude either, is it? My point was directed at @0JSIMPS0N (whose opinions I usually appreciate; he has a way of wording them sometimes that exasperates people but he's one of the few posters in WAYWT with a sharp eye for what works and what doesn't, as opposed to the droves of sheep who thumb everything that ticks the approved names): If like me you don't like short suits/blazers, what does it matter if it's by design or because the wearer happens to be too tall to wear OTR? The effect is always the same, a jacket that doesn't cover your ass.

the margiela model looks pretty tall. i don't think it would look like that on someone less tall.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a Margiela rep. The model is 4'9", one of the shortest in the business, actually. They hired him as part of a new French initiative to diversify the industry. Hopefully that clarifies a few things.

kmert

Reaction score
How short do you expect anyone IRL to be for that jacket to have a chance of covering the wearer's ass? 5ft 5", maybe? That's not your average dude either, is it?

I have 3 TB blazers, all in sz 2, they measure just under 30" in length, and do a vdecent job of covering what needs to be covered. I'm 6ft 2" btw, I guess that makes a difference in "coverage", about 3inches more or less
smile.gif

il_colonnello

Reaction score

I have 3 TB blazers, all in sz 2, they measure just under 30" in length, and do a vdecent job of covering what needs to be covered. I'm 6ft 2" btw, I guess that makes a difference in "coverage", about 3inches more or less  :)

You know, I'd be curious to see that actually (non-ironic). I could imagine that 6ft2" and 30" BOC might just get you into CM-approved territory.

However, the TB suit on ssense I linked to is clearly not 30" BOC - not in any size. In fact, the model appears to be wearing a size 3 according to the info in the size chart! If that's the back (and sleeve!) length you get out of a size 3, I don't want to see what that suit looks like on even an average-height guy who needs one of the smaller sizes...

Last edited:

kmert

Reaction score
^mine are the same model, the "classic suit/blazer" as it is labelled. I measured with the collar included, so should be about 28-28.5" without, not vdifferent from the ssense one. And no, its not CM territory, but that is not what I intend it to be, and that's why we're in SW&D right?
cool.gif

il_colonnello

Reaction score
You know @kmert, the back length of ^that suit I could live with, I guess. I'm 6ft3" myself and still have a few OTR jackets that probably sit like that on me. It's the sleeve length where I get paranoid. Do you actually wear your sleeves like that? The only reason that Farfetch model you linked to doesn't look totally ridiculous to me is because the shirt sleeves are equally waaaay too short. If that model was wearing anywhere near his "correct" (in inverted commas because I'm aware that's a question of definition) shirt sleeve length, he'd be showing the whole cuffs, just standing with his arms hanging down. All SW&D vs CM considerations aside, that would be a big no-no for me. It's the length of sleeves more than anything that to me makes a lot of tall men look as if they are wearing something they've grown out of. Not flattering.

kmert

Reaction score
Indeed, sleeves fit short. Probably the shirt sleeves are longer, but were pulled up to show the right cuff length. It never bothered me, that is maybe until now because you were so kind to point this out
happy.gif

Sizing up could resolve something, but will force you into costly alterations to remove the boxy-ness. That is also the problem of the ssense fit, were they clearly sized up to compensate his length, while his chest and shoulder size probably allowed for a sz 2 (or maybe a 1). Probably the TB runway look scared them I dont know. Also Farfetch has TB fits with this problem, were they sized up to get a "classic" fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads