• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
It's really just practice. A year ago my bench was 225 and my squat was 145... Going back to starting strength after training for 5 years (and as a professional personal trainer as well) was the smartest thing I ever did.

I knew I remembered this but didn't want to put words in your mouth. What is current bench? You didn't say unless I missed it.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
I'm not looking for a Top 10 finish or anything. The way I understand it, all of the competitive/top level guys go first and the rest follow shortly thereafter...plus, I'll be with a group, so I don't want to be THAT guy and race ahead of the rest. HOWEVER, it is my goal to finish it strong and get through the obstacles successfully (don't want to fall off the monkey bars, etc.).

Since the plan is to switch on April 1 (about 2 months before race day May 28), I'll spend the first month transitioning from weight lifting to cardio...doing Insanity + weight lifting. The second month will be exclusively training for the actual race and taking my cardio to another level. Thoughts?

I never entered a race as a team cause I knew some guy wouldn't be able to handle and hold us back. I'm an asshole like that... but I agree, if ever in a team, race with the team. If the race is big, which it seems like, then the top guys will go first... and given the amount of elevation in the race, the field will spread pretty quickly, so self motivation 'may' be a factor. Be prepared to push people on your team beyond their limits.

I think your training program is solid and the timeline is very suitable for the goals you are after. My one suggestion is in the first week or so of digging into cardio, do some workouts (maybe 2 or 3) to absolute failure... test the **** out of your mental and physical limits... It will hurt in the moment but will help everything else. Trust me. Cool it down and taper accordingly towards race day.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions... If I wasn't 45lbs above race weight I'd be out there with you, being in San Diego this race is very appealing.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hastur
yeah that's a real issue for me when pulling heavy singles. i almost always pull for reps and rarely max out, so when i do pull singles, my hips tend to rise sooner than i'd like and i'm stuck with my knees locked half way through the pull. i think i just need more experience pulling heavy singles to really get the form down.

thanks for the kind words guys
smile.gif

I was gunna ask the question of what form this is... cause it looks like a mix between trad and romanian... but your technique answer fits the bill.

Same boat with me... except I pull much less.

I have long arms, so I don't always have to drop my hips to pull the weight... and I even supplemented my long arms by doing Romanian DL's exclusively for a while.. Now my RDL max is only 30lbs off my trad DL max, which I feel is not normal.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I knew I remembered this but didn't want to put words in your mouth. What is current bench? You didn't say unless I missed it.

Haha, still 3x5 @ 225
redface.gif

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I was gunna ask the question of what form this is... cause it looks like a mix between trad and romanian... but your technique answer fits the bill.

Same boat with me... except I pull much less.

I have long arms, so I don't always have to drop my hips to pull the weight... and I even supplemented my long arms by doing Romanian DL's exclusively for a while.. Now my RDL max is only 30lbs off my trad DL max, which I feel is not normal.

Does anybody know how to determine if you have long femurs/short back etc etc etc? I know I have long arms since my wingspan is larger than my height? Just sort of.. visual? I think I have a short torso since my hips are pretty high when I DL, but I could have crap form.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Haha, still 3x5 @ 225
redface.gif

You are at my goal body weight and you lift my goal weights. Maybe slightly heavier in both cases. How tall are you again?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@1up

wow i have some problem as you. i have similar stats, look pretty similar, maybe 13 or 14 or so instead. i was hoping once i get sub 10 things would be more proportional, but that wont be for another month or so

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gonna go kickboxing for the first time today.. First time doing any kind of martial arts/fighting, kinda nervous/excited.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
@1up

wow i have some problem as you. i have similar stats, look pretty similar, maybe 13 or 14 or so instead. i was hoping once i get sub 10 things would be more proportional, but that wont be for another month or so

Haha sweet man, I feel like I rarely see anyone with my proportions. All my friends razz me about it..bleh
frown.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how many calories are in an ounce of chicken breast? I am using fitday and it is giving me numbers that seem out of wack:

7.3oz of boneless and skinless chicken breast
404 cals
61.5g protein
16g fat
0 carbs

Does this seem right? All I do is add some salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and stick it on the foreman grill.

touchthesky

Reaction score
That seems high to me, especially on the fat side. I eat Lilydale brand chicken breast and it is 34 clories in an ounce.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1oz of RAW chicken breast, no skin, is typically listed as:

~31 calories, <1% (0 grams) fat and <1% (0 grams carbs), 6g protein.

So 7.3oz = ~225-230 calories. ~42g protein.

Your calc might include skin, thus the fat.

7.3 oz COOKED (dry heat) would equal closer to 335 calories and fat closer to 6-7 grams.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
You are at my goal body weight and you lift my goal weights. Maybe slightly heavier in both cases. How tall are you again?

179 cm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads