1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Distinguished Member

Up to 1 cup of coffee a day now. Damn this IF protocol. Just hoping it will pay off for this cut. Not cutting till I can comfortably DL 405x6 for one set.

2. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

I slipped it on the 5 day of 5/3/1. Heaviest set, blood pumping, just kept banging out the reps and didn't do enough glute/hamstring activation, and was just pulling with my lower back. I have posts on this thread about when it happened lemme see if i can dig them up

3. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

Holy shit 5/3/1 day on Deadlifts and I busted out 5 on my last set and right after my back got so tight and sore I could barely walk back to my car and drive home (fuck assistance work). Took 2 asprin and i've been lying down but yeah, i should check form (feels sore, but not like anything is injured). I'll try and get a friend to take a video at some point.
    ^this is when it happened. On Halloween too no less.

4. APK

APK Distinguished Member

Saw a guy running backwards and sideways on a treadmill. I can see doing this (at least the sideways part) on a track, but doing it on a treadmill seems like a surefire way to get a tooth knocked out.

I hate seeing this shit. More irritating are the people who walk_very_slowly on the treadmill backwards. Then there's this one guy who cranks the speed up and then rests his upper body on the front handles and panel while his legs flail around like a rag doll.

5. shibbel

shibbel Distinguished Member

ctk, what protocol are you following?

6. Pennglock

Pennglock Distinguished Member

Ive been experimenting with some high-frequency programming and the results have been smashing.

For the last 6 weeks Ive been working out 5 days per week, training only two lifts, power clean and an overhead lift (mixing it up between jerks, push press and strict press.) It's the same workout every day, working up to to a heavy single, double or triple, then go home.

More often than not, Ive been able to add a pound or two to the previous workout. Some days Im just not feeling it and randomly have to back off 10%, but it's mostly been steady upward progress.

Ive added 50 pounds to my 1rm power clean, which I find astounding considering Ive been doing these things off and on for over 10 years. Im going for 350lb later this week...there will be a video if I get it.

7. gort

gort Distinguished Member

Time to start lean gains. Gotta iron out the macros more accurately but seems pretty manageable. The only concern really would be the weekend. Keeping a routine is so easy when you're following a work schedule. It's when you go out on a Friday and sleep in Saturday that starts to disrupt things.

I particularly liked this post on his website : The truth about alcohol, fat loss, and muscle growth, since I like to booze at least once a week. Fairly lean already but want to get a bit leaner by Memorial Day. Taking a vacation and will be in a swimsuit most of the time. [​IMG]

8. shibbel

I've been doing Leangains for about a year and love it. Definitely a must for big eaters like myself.

9. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Distinguished Member

I've been doing Leangains for about a year and love it, I'll do it the rest of my life if I can. The only part I really don't adhere to is low fat consumption on off days. On off days it's pretty much all fat after my protein goals, and all carbs after my protein on workout days. Definitely a must for big eaters like myself.

Can you describe the Leangains protocol in little detail - especially the part about the macro changes on on vs. off days? I have a general idea of what Leangains is based on Martin Berkhan's blog but I would be interested in the details.

Thanks!

10. shibbel

The main tenets are: 1. 365 days a year there is a 16 hour fast/8 hour feed. This should be at roughly the same time everyday. 2. Calories are cycled. 20% below maintenance on off days, 20% above on workout days. 3. Protein is kept high on all days (I'm at 1.5 per pound of lean body mass) low carb on off days (I do <40), low fat on workout days. 4. The majority of calories are consumed post workout on those days, while during the first feeding on off days. 5. You can workout fasted, just consume 10mg of BCAAs an hour before and after. Disregard what you quoted me saying. I meant to say I don't adhere to low fat on workout days- but naturally after the necessary carbs and protein, it tends to be low fat in some regard. That sounds retarded, which is why I edited it out! [​IMG]

11. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Distinguished Member

The main tenets are:
    1. 365 days a year there is a 16 hour fast/8 hour feed. This should be at roughly the same time everyday.
    2. Calories are cycled. 20% below maintenance on off days, 20% above on workout days.
    3. Protein is kept high on all days (I'm at 1.5 per pound of lean body mass) low carb on off days, low fat on workout days.
    4. The majority of calories are consumed post workout on those days, while during the first feeding on off days.
    5. You can workout fasted, just consume 10mg of BCAAs an hour before and after.

Thanks!

I noticed on Martin's blog that he does not do cardio.

My workouts are a pretty decent balance of lifting (3 days) and cardio (typically 2 run days and 1 day of intervals). Would some protocol like Leangains work in my case?

Are cardio days "on" or "off?"

And are there cheat days? I am beginning to like my weekend cheat day - not quite epic like mrchariybrown but pretty satisfying nonetheless... [​IMG]

12. Cool The Kid

ctk, what protocol are you following?

This one, pretty much

The main tenets are:
    1. 365 days a year there is a 16 hour fast/8 hour feed. This should be at roughly the same time everyday.
    2. Calories are cycled. 20% below maintenance on off days, 20% above on workout days.
    3. Protein is kept high on all days (I'm at 1.5 per pound of lean body mass) low carb on off days (I do <40), low fat on workout days.
    4. The majority of calories are consumed post workout on those days, while during the first feeding on off days.
    5. You can workout fasted, just consume 10mg of BCAAs an hour before and after.

I am not sure what is considered high fat, but I am averaging 2900 cals now, of which ~800-1200 come from protein, and about 800 come from fat. Main thing for me is to watch my cholesterol.

13. Cool The Kid

Thanks!

I noticed on Martin's blog that he does not do cardio.

My workouts are a pretty decent balance of lifting (3 days) and cardio (typically 2 run days and 1 day of intervals). Would some protocol like Leangains work in my case?

Are cardio days "on" or "off?"

And are there cheat days? I am beginning to like my weekend cheat day - not quite epic like mrchariybrown but pretty satisfying nonetheless... [​IMG]

If you're doing cardio to drop fat, MB claims (and cites studies to show) that at best you don't need it, and at worst it can hamper or even counter measures taken to preserve muscle in a cut. If you're doing cardio because you like to run (????) then Leangains really adds up to not much more than a more convenient way to eat.

Me personally, I can't do both extensive cardio and serious lifting. One or the other suffers. I chose beach prettiness.

14. shibbel

Cardio can be done, but not necessary, and quite inefficient for losing fat. Martin just recommends very low intensity if you must, since higher intensity can tax your CNS almost as much as lifting. I don't recall the best way to work cardio, since I myself don't do any- there is an article on it though.

Cheats are fine as long as they work into your macro and calorie quota. In the event they they don't you should at the very least maintain your fast if possible and get make sure to hit your protein goals before the binge. Aiming for 80% adherence is normally good idea.

CTK, who would have thought we could co-exist!

15. gort

gort Distinguished Member

Credit to Sonick for linking me this in a PM yesterday:

I have my calorie totals for on/off days solidified, but need to figure out exact numbers to aim for protein/carbs on each day. Any help? I'm currently 6'1 185lbs, so I had my on/off cals out to roughly 2900 (on) 2000 (off).