1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random health and exercise thoughts

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Eason, Dec 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Distinguished Member

I've got the Tough Mudder coming up at the end of May. Need to incorporate a lot more cardio into my routine. I'm thinking of taking a break from SPBR, doing the Insanity routine for a couple months in addition to lifting twice a week (just squat, dead, bench).

What location are you racing in? I have a lot of experience in mud runs/ adventure races / military style races with a couple of top 3 finishes.... Your routine needs to be heavily cardio based from here on out, a pro/competitive runner or a triathlete will win your race.

I forget what SPBR is but if its heavy weight work, I would stop it within 3/4 weeks of race day. IMO any weight work other than body weight like pushups/pull ups/dips etc should stop 3/4 weeks out. My routines when training for races were a lot of trail running (zero road running), rock climbing, and variation work. I would got to a local stadium run 1/2 mile, then stairs for 10 mins, do some burpees in between, keep running, do some pushups... run, stairs, find a wall and climb it, then climb it again, etc... etc... find literally any thing to do a pull up ( I would monkey across a soccer goal post). Do literally anything different that you can think of that might simulate the race. But just don't stop moving in between the various workouts. have fun.

2. HgaleK

HgaleK Distinguished Member

Your hips don't look like they have a ton of fat on them. Are you talking about the part just above your hips? What normally makes people look bad in pants is when there's an inner thigh bulge (ib4 pen0r joke) like a fat chick in skinny jeans. If it's just the outer thigh, it looks like you have muscular legs. See Cez and Eason for dudes with legs that don't look fat in slim or skinny jeans. If your proportions are a bit awkward, but that's more a function of jean taper and leg length. Boots can help fake the leg length a bit.

3. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Distinguished Member

I'm 5'10, 175 in that pic, I estimated myself to be about 13% in that pic. I'm pretty diced now, 5'10 168ish. That pic was cold and off working out for a week. I can look pretty swole after a good week of workouts.

Damn I am your height but I got 30 more pounds than you. [​IMG]. Time for me to slim down.

4. embowafa

embowafa Distinguished Member

What location are you racing in? I have a lot of experience in mud runs/ adventure races / military style races with a couple of top 3 finishes.... Your routine needs to be heavily cardio based from here on out, a pro/competitive runner or a triathlete will win your race.

I forget what SPBR is but if its heavy weight work, I would stop it within 3/4 weeks of race day. IMO any weight work other than body weight like pushups/pull ups/dips etc should stop 3/4 weeks out. My routines when training for races were a lot of trail running (zero road running), rock climbing, and variation work. I would got to a local stadium run 1/2 mile, then stairs for 10 mins, do some burpees in between, keep running, do some pushups... run, stairs, find a wall and climb it, then climb it again, etc... etc... find literally any thing to do a pull up ( I would monkey across a soccer goal post). Do literally anything different that you can think of that might simulate the race. But just don't stop moving in between the various workouts. have fun.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Awesome post. Thanks for the feedback. You've confirmed my feelings about the training.

I'm doing the Southern California Tough Mudder which takes place on Bear Mountain ski resort.

SPBR is all heavy weight training, which is why I know I need to drop it for a few weeks. Before starting SPBR in January, my routine was centered around body weight exercises (pushups, pullups, dips...with some weight added to them). In addition to going outdoors for the race simulations with the race team, I'm going to do the Insanity DVD's for my daily workout to build cardio (only have time to workout at night).

So, would you recommend completely dropping all weight lifting? What do you think of doing it twice a week and only doing the 3 major lifts?

5. 1up

1up Distinguished Member

Your hips don't look like they have a ton of fat on them. Are you talking about the part just above your hips? What normally makes people look bad in pants is when there's an inner thigh bulge (ib4 pen0r joke) like a fat chick in skinny jeans. If it's just the outer thigh, it looks like you have muscular legs. See Cez and Eason for dudes with legs that don't look fat in slim or skinny jeans. If your proportions are a bit awkward, but that's more a function of jean taper and leg length. Boots can help fake the leg length a bit.

it IS my inner thighs as well. See pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 1up

1up Distinguished Member

Damn I am your height but I got 30 more pounds than you. [​IMG]. Time for me to slim down.

I was 185, but it looked awkward on my small frame, and clothes never looked great. Cutting sucks so bad. Miss bulking.

7. Prada_Ferragamo

TBH you look fine (no homo). I got big ass thighs and butt and I still wear tight ass jeans. I have small frame too, (Azn genes), but I try to pack on as much meat as possible.

8. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Distinguished Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Awesome post. Thanks for the feedback. You've confirmed my feelings about the training.

I'm doing the Southern California Tough Mudder which takes place on Bear Mountain ski resort.

SPBR is all heavy weight training, which is why I know I need to drop it for a few weeks. Before starting SPBR in January, my routine was centered around body weight exercises (pushups, pullups, dips...with some weight added to them). In addition to going outdoors for the race simulations with the race team, I'm going to do the Insanity DVD's for my daily workout to build cardio (only have time to workout at night).

So, would you recommend completely dropping all weight lifting? What do you think of doing it twice a week and only doing the 3 major lifts?

OK, so your racing at about 8,000 foot elevation. You HAVE to stress the fuck out of your heart/lungs. If you really want to do Insanity then on same night do some HIIT or Tabatas. Doing Insanity + HIIT workouts in the same night will be faaar more beneficial to your cardio then say, Insanity one night, HIIT the next. (The only reason I sway from Insanity is its not simulating the race enough, not enough running)

Heres a HIIT suggestion that will fuck you up: 20 burbees, sprint 100m, 20 burbees, 100m sprint back, 20 burbees. Things along those lines, recruiting and using as much muscle mass while your HR is well above lactic acid threshold is what is going to help you through this race.

ALso, yea I gotta say kill the weight lifting a month out, start dropping the weight and upping reps. Maybe incorporate some explosive Tabata work like hang clean, front squat tabatas?

Anyway, all the advice I'm tossing out is if you really want to push yourself in the race, maybe place in your division or even win outright. If your just looking to have fun and run the race, then you can likely keep most of what you are doing right now.

9. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Distinguished Member

I too have embraced my bigger lower half. Like my gf (who also has a sturdy base) says, rather a big butt than chicken legs.

10. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Distinguished Member

I too have embraced my bigger lower half. Like my gf (who also has a sturdy base) says, rather a big butt than chicken legs.

lol.

11. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

please if you could keep rude comments about CTK's GF's thighs to yourself this time.

edit: SHUT THE FUCK UP MAGICIAN.

12. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Distinguished Member

Relax dogg wasn't meant as a diss, just thought it was a funny turn-of-phrase. I happen to like, and date, a girl with some hips myself.

13. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

Magician did you even see shellshock's post lol?

I want to make this a meme if i can.

PS My last gf had a huuuge ass. [​IMG]

14. Prada_Ferragamo

I prefer a girl with ass and defined legs then someone who's got huge boobs and muffin top.

15. embowafa

embowafa Distinguished Member

OK, so your racing at about 8,000 foot elevation. You HAVE to stress the fuck out of your heart/lungs. If you really want to do Insanity then on same night do some HIIT or Tabatas. Doing Insanity + HIIT workouts in the same night will be faaar more beneficial to your cardio then say, Insanity one night, HIIT the next. (The only reason I sway from Insanity is its not simulating the race enough, not enough running)

Heres a HIIT suggestion that will fuck you up: 20 burbees, sprint 100m, 20 burbees, 100m sprint back, 20 burbees. Things along those lines, recruiting and using as much muscle mass while your HR is well above lactic acid threshold is what is going to help you through this race.

ALso, yea I gotta say kill the weight lifting a month out, start dropping the weight and upping reps. Maybe incorporate some explosive Tabata work like hang clean, front squat tabatas?

Anyway, all the advice I'm tossing out is if you really want to push yourself in the race, maybe place in your division or even win outright. If your just looking to have fun and run the race, then you can likely keep most of what you are doing right now.

I'm not looking for a Top 10 finish or anything. The way I understand it, all of the competitive/top level guys go first and the rest follow shortly thereafter...plus, I'll be with a group, so I don't want to be THAT guy and race ahead of the rest. HOWEVER, it is my goal to finish it strong and get through the obstacles successfully (don't want to fall off the monkey bars, etc.).

Since the plan is to switch on April 1 (about 2 months before race day May 28), I'll spend the first month transitioning from weight lifting to cardio...doing Insanity + weight lifting. The second month will be exclusively training for the actual race and taking my cardio to another level. Thoughts?