• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The police leg lock is a bit different to the martial arts one and you can't tap out of that one.
Are you talking about the figure four that starts with the stomp to the back of the knee? That's really just a calf slicer using his own leg. I instructed at police academies as well. It is a martial arts move that works well against an untrained opponent, or if you get to attack from behind, but most cop moves are meant to subdue an untrained or reluctant opponent, which means any smart person against a cop, because he has a gun, a taser, and pepper spray. One on one though, a cop is just another dude.

I've trained with a lot of big sherriff's deputies. Guys who are 100 lbs heavier then me. and without the authority of the badge and the weapons and numbers, they are not that special. They can get beat up and submitted or KO'd like everyone else.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Dear @LA Guy,

Please pay @Synthese more so he can be a proper SF brand ambassador. :foo:

Best regards,
nahneun
Uncle Nephew '14-present

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you talking about the figure four that starts with the stomp to the back of the knee?  That's really just a calf slicer using his own leg.  I instructed at police academies as well.  It is a martial arts move that works well against an untrained opponent, or if you get to attack from behind, but most cop moves are meant to subdue an untrained or reluctant opponent, which means any smart person against a cop, because he has a gun, a taser, and pepper spray.  One on one though, a cop is just another dude.

I've trained with a lot of big sherriff's deputies.  Guys who are 100 lbs heavier then me. and without the authority of the badge  and the weapons and numbers, they are not that special.  They can get beat up and submitted or KO'd like everyone else.

It's laying flat on your stomach with your hand cuffed on your back with someone crossing your legs and pressing them towards your butt. If they are busy they put the legs between the hands and back and let them "hold" the legs down. It sort of looks like a wrangled cattle.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's laying flat on your stomach with your hand cuffed on your back with someone crossing your legs and pressing them towards your butt. If they are busy they put the legs between the hands and back and let them "hold" the legs down. It sort of looks like a wrangled cattle.
Yeah, I know that move. The important thing is that the hands are cuffed. which is not actually that easy to do, ime. Most people don't automatically fight for wrist control the way MMA fighters, BJJ practioners, and wrestlers, do.

Usually, the takedown to cuff is initiated, if not from behind, using a position called the 100%. You have an underhook and you grab the the shoulder and use the leverage to torque their arms behind them. No one who knows BJJ (as opposed to having gone to a few practices) is going to give up that position willingly. Which is what you see in MMA all the time against the cage - one dude trying for the leg takedown, other other guy using his underhook to pull him up and trying to get to the 100% while driving the opponent's head to the ground with the other hand, or pull it up, depending on the position.

And the legs crossing is the calf crank. It's really painful to have your calf compressed that way. I learned that the hard way the first time I rolled with a 10th planet guy. I didn't even know that it was a submission, just that it was extremely painful. I tapped to pain, to my everlasting shame.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Calf slicer is unpleasant.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
I wish @brad-t was here to tell you all how stupid you are for discussing/arguing fighting techniques on a men's FASHION webforum.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
What if we argued pedantically about proper grammar instead? Would that make you feel better? For example, why don't we talk about how you used the past indicative instead of the past subjunctive to express your desire for @brad-t's presence here to talk smack and law down fashion law?

Last edited:

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score

What if we argued pedantically about proper grammar instead? Would that make you feel better? Like how you used the past indicative instead of the past subjunctive to express your desire for @brad-t's presence here to talk smack and law down fashion law?

anything would be better... So, yes.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
you caught my ninja edit. sneaky.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"If the heavy metal band Anthrax dies of anthrax, that would be poetically tragic, but not ironic.
If a diabetic crosses the street and is run over by a truck carrying insulin, then it's ironic. "

-- Urban Dictionary

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of getting a fashion Noragi that is made to the same durability specs as my competition gi. But not in the double sashiko. Maybe in one of those composite weaves like the diamond weave, or something like that. Also, a hoodie of some sort - maybe a "drug rug" or something like that.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If anyone got this and doesn't want it, please let me know. I'm probably a size 4, maybe size 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads