1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Has anyone used Luxire to make something other than the standard shirt or pants? Really like this Damir coat but can't find it in stock anywhere. Wonder if Luxire can do something similar...

[​IMG]

2. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Luxire can pretty much make anything you want.

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

They technically can make anything, but sometimes the results (from the few things I've seen and heard of) are less than great if they're more complicated than your basic dress shirt. Would be wary of having them do something as non-traditional as what you'd find at Damir Doma. Seems like you'd be better off if you already have a coat you want copied -- and even then, you may need to go through a few iterations (basically like fittings) to get what you want right.

Edit: Not really like the Doma in terms of fit, but FWIW, K&S has a black windowpane coat this season

http://www.krammer-stoudt.com/shop/redford-overcoat/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

dont bother with luxire get the real thing , check your pm

2 people like this.
  5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

They are great at replicating very classic tailored garments, and at actual replication, with very few changes. So, for example, I wanted a tweed version of Garbstore's trisaver vest which does not exist, and they did really well at it because I sent them one of mine as a template.

On the other hand, for something as simple as a cafe racer, it took several iterations with very specific instructions and photos in addition to me sending them some samples to show basic construction, for them to get specific details correct.

In other words, they can sew very competently, but they require both design and styling guidance if you are going to get exactly what you want. India is not a fashion mecca. It's about as far from that as possible. Exposure to fashion is an education in and of itself, and I know that they are going to events like Pitti and Mens market weeks elsewhere now, and this will really help them.

The Damir Doma coat is not a marvel of tailoring, but doesn't appear to be cut very classically. Unless you have another one like it that you can send to be examined and studied, it's probably not the safe route to go. Could be an adventure though

6. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

Not to mention that the first step would be to find the fabric.

7. dieworkwear

[​IMG]

Man with Fifteen Unwearable Made-to-Measure Coats Describes Experience as "an Adventure"

21 people like this.
  8. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty much scrapped the Luxire idea....

Just going to keep an eye out on yoox/b&s for a L to pop up

9. msg

msg Well-Known Member

Avatars on the site should be unique. There's a guy in the JE thread with the same avatar as Shoreman, there've been a few wtf moments until I remember to check the actual name

10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Specific issue addressed

2 people like this.
  11. dieworkwear

Posts are so great if you actually read them as being from shoreman

http://www.styleforum.net/forums/posts/by_user/id/240910

5 people like this.
  12. msg

msg Well-Known Member

He's very concerned about the length of his denim

13. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

I need to kop some JE tees to see what all the buzz is about. These are clearly not your ordinary tees.

14. Auximenes

Auximenes Well-Known Member

I like them a lot. They actually look quite ordinary. But proportions and fit are just right.

15. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Going to my very first wedding in about a month and could use some advice on shirt, tie and pocketsquare.
    The suit I have is a pretty slim (medium-dark?) charcoal one and for shoes some black oxfords.
    I'm guessing the shirt will most likely be white with a spread or semi-spread collar, which leaves tie and pocketsquare.
    Currently half-tempted to get this one: http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/inde...inen-tie-with-white-adire-double-stripes.html
    but my suit and shoes might be a bit too dark and formal to wear it well

So, gladly taking any feedback on the above as well as suggestions for suitable tie and pocketsquare-pairings.

(Note: I'm 20 years old, average age of the wedding participants will probably be sub-25, so I doubt "traditional rules" are as set in stone as they might be otherwise)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  16. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

If you've spent any time reading the thread, you'd know that they are unquestionable "hot fire".

I'm a fan of the curve u-neck in the basic cotton-modal blend. The length is about ideal (long enough to be interesting but not so long as to look weird with regular jeans / pants), the neck is roomy but not excessive, and the fabric has a nice hand and drape. I wouldn't mind slightly broader shoulders and longer, slimmer sleeves, but they're one of the nicer t-shirts I've handled. Think Odyn Vovk with less interesting construction.

1 person likes this.
  17. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

Anyone have any sizing advice for Jun Hashimoto boots? I generally wear a size 40 in Common Projects, size 41 in Margiela sneakers.

18. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

TTS. Go with a 41.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

20. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

First of all, your rig sounds very standard, so I would resist the urge to make it "fun" or "interesting" and instead play to your strengths with a relatively conservative getup. You'll look better than you would otherwise, and even if you don't look all young and hip and high-fashion and stuff people will appreciate that you look good.

Tie: No on the tie. There's no reason not to check SF's B&S for a suitable wedding tie, which will likely look better with a medium charcoal than anything "exciting."

Shirt: Shirt-wise, Kamakura does a great job if you're looking for that style, but I would go around and check the B&S for ALL of this stuff - the CM side of the market is well-stocked with quality products and is generally very affordable, especially if you have the time to search. It's possible to find excellent shirts for under 100$ (I just did it a month ago). If you're desperate to do your own thing, maybe try proper cloth.

Pocketsquare: white linen is all you need, and you don't have to bother with fancy puffs. 30$ tops anywhere.

Finally, at age 20 my opinion is that there's no real point in spending a lot. Your body will probably change between now and the time you turn 25-30, which I'd guess is when most of your friends will be getting married.

6 people like this.