• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

basil rathbone

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw this in here for all you miscreants:

As some of you may know, a contingent of the Styleforum team to going to be in Paris (January 19-26) this winter. @Synthese and I, as well as Jen (my wife and the person who keeps my ideas semi-sane) and our photographer, Eric, will be doing store features and reviews, going to all the tradeshows our little brains will allow without explosion, as well as private show room visits. We'll also have a guy who can actually take real photographs (wow), as well as a fluent French speaker (Jasper) as well as a guy who spent his childhood speaking French for much of the day (moi) but who is really rusty, and whose passable French will probably improve as the week progresses.

I'd love to hear from you guys. is there a store you'd be really interested in seeing the insides of, any particular brand you'd like us to visit, any specific project you'd like turn into a GMTO, any rerelease you'd jump on like a fat kid on chips, because you missed that excellent piece and are now beating yourself over with reverse buyer's remorse?

Cheers,

Fok.

Elevation Store, Royalcheese, AMI, Lemaire, The Broken Arm, Merci (more women's/home), French Trotters are all within walking distance of each other and are all pretty neat. Margiela, Rick in the Palais Royal. L'Eclaireur. Tons of good stuff everywhere. Wish I was still there. Would be a fun meet up.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I missing out on something that is amazing?  Real question.  

It's hard to say as it depends on so many factors (location, domestic/ international trips, timing of purchase, frequency etc). I would say if you don't fly much, mostly fly domestic and don't invest a whole a lot of time into looking for perceived "deals" you aren't missing out on anything life changing. Of course there's a lot of details which don't get shared with the general public, like any industry I guess. International travel is a different story.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say as it depends on so many factors (location, domestic/ international trips, timing of purchase, frequency etc). I would say if you don't fly much, mostly fly domestic and don't invest a whole a lot of time into looking for perceived "deals" you aren't missing out on anything life changing. Of course there's a lot of details which don't get shared with the general public, like any industry I guess. International travel is a different story.
I fly, total, maybe 8-12 times a year, mostly domestic, with a couple of international flight thrown in there. Thinking of flying my familty to Vienna next Christmas. What should I be on the lookout for?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elevation Store, Royalcheese, AMI, Lemaire, The Broken Arm, Merci (more women's/home), French Trotters are all within walking distance of each other and are all pretty neat. Margiela, Rick in the Palais Royal. L'Eclaireur. Tons of good stuff everywhere. Wish I was still there. Would be a fun meet up.
@Synthese - take notes.

Yeah, would have been a fun meetup. I think that we are going to meet up with Holger, maybe do an interview with him, or walk through a showroom with him. Any specific requests?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn wanna crash that party but too busy
this one right ?

i've seen a couple for sale in the last few weeks, not sure there was a 5 among them though
You should come. No, I was thinking about the hooded bomber looking thing, but I actually like this more.

Anyone interested in a run of these things, or something else? With the designer-centric part of SWD, the issue is always lack of actual buyers. This is the reason that stores like Atelier and LL-NC go out of business. The Venn diagram intersection of people who are interested in artisan/design forward clothing *and* have the money to indulge their passions, at least in part at retail prices, is pretty low. The only places in the US these stores seem to do really well are in LA, where a lot more of the money is newer money being spent by younger people.

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should come.  No, I was thinking about the hooded bomber looking thing, but I actually like this more.

Anyone interested in a run of these things, or something else?  With the designer-centric part of SWD, the issue is always lack of actual buyers.  This is the reason that stores like Atelier and LL-NC go out of business.  The Venn diagram intersection of people who are interested in artisan/design forward clothing *and* have the money to indulge their passions, at least in part at retail prices, is pretty low.  The only places in the US these stores seem to do really well are in LA, where a lot more of the money is newer money being spent by younger people.

This one?

Would love any Schneider re-release (I personally would love the plain jacket from Frozen Waves, but that's because I already have the Alpaca bomber)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one?

Would love any Schneider re-release (I personally would love the plain jacket from Frozen Waves, but that's because I already have the Alpaca bomber)
Yeah, that alpaca, though I personally think that the shawl collar thing is more interesting.

I find that with SWD, the constraints are much more severe than in CM/casual menswear, in terms of getting projects off the ground,

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can do a non-hooded long coat in this pattern I will give you my monies. (shawl collar is ok)

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That shawl collar bomber in some different (non-black) colors would be very cool. Some of the other Rugs to Riches stuff would be cool for a reissue, I actually would love to see the Wick coat come back from At Both Ends.

Edit: exactly what @NaTionS said, would love just about any non-hooded coat in that color

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That shawl collar bomber in some different (non-black) colors would be very cool. Some of the other Rugs to Riches stuff would be cool for a reissue, I actually would love to see the Wick coat come back from At Both Ends.

Edit: exactly what @NaTionS said, would love just about any non-hooded coat in that color
Cool color, but from what I understand, the body is the easier part, but the getting the same textile would be the issue. I think that for any reissue/special order, from any designer, the way to go about it would be to agree on a body, and then leave a couple of color options.

Would anyone be interested in the cardigan from a couple of years ago. I ask mostly because I'd like to get one and never did.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would love to do the collared bomber in a rich blue. Mostly because I love blues. I'm thinking nearly teal, a sort of green blue that will go with blacks and indigos alike.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use database software to keep track of their wardrobe?

I use a spreadsheet but think it could be cool to have tags and images and stuff. Would also make it easier to resell things since I'd already have data and photos for every item.

Also possibly a huge waste of time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads