Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't get the hate. If you don't like them, don't use them. Seems like they're pretty transparent about offering the lowest possible prices by making everything a la carte. Of course their service sucks.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I pretty much avoid anything below star alliance etc., if you have checked luggage, want to be able to cancel etc the difference is often times completely gone and with nicer carriers you get better seats, more legroom and free drinks.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Such is the unique paradigm that is the airline industry - nobody wants to pay for it, but everybody wants to complain how bad it is.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that the terrible service is a big part of the issue. It's one thing to make everything a la carte, it's another to do things so cheaply that the flight is more stressful than a Hong Kong Bus during rush hour.

Me, I never use them. I find flying annoying and stressful enough that I'll fok over a few hundred to not have to deal with additional bullshit.

5. LA Guy

http://www.styleforum.net/t/269577/the-official-new-york-shopping-dining-thread/0_50

We have a "cities" focus this year, and will be getting NYC in a google map soon, along with a comprehensive list of shops, a section for user store reviews and forum threads, and editorial store suggestions and recommendations. @Synthese and I are working on implemetation and a maintencance schedule for the year We already have San Francisco, and plan to expand to include Tokyo, Paris, and London, and then go on from there.

You want to do something for your city? Email me at [email protected]

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Maybe Bay Area instead of just SF? Although there's certainly plenty to do in SF alone.

Also, didn't Ryan Air propose standing sections for flights?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

And pay per use toilets.

8. malcb33

malcb33 Senior member

Having work in the industry, this is completely spot on. It's amazing to see what lengths people will go to save just $1 dollar and then complain bitterly that the service isn't up to their standards.

This is so true. The airline industry openly advertises false information and everyone who thinks they are an "experienced traveler/ expert" gets sucked right in. if you actually know how the system works (or have some who know) you can take advantage and have great service and go to amazing places at a reasonable price.

9. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

This article pretty much confirms what you're talking about. About three paragraphs in you think this guy is aweome. Then you realize that often never leaves the airport and probably has some sort of OCD regarding the sensation of flight.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/ben-schlappig-airlines-fly-free-20150720

10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

That NY thread is dead. Got nothing on the LA thread.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

CB2 x hill side rug is nice, but I don't know if it's $1000 nice. :eek:

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

Personally I've never had an issue with Ryan air. Brought a filson duffle on board way oversized so many times but they never check duffles so you don't have a problem. Haven't used them in 4 years or so though so maybe it's worse now. All recent trips have ended up flying normal airlines as cost was pretty much same as easyjet / Ryanair. Also feel service is very dependent on country, my expectations are quite different depending on where I am.

On a fashion related note, went around union square a few days ago, was a bit surprised how nice all SAs were. Well except for Barneys but Barneys has always sucked. Mens shoes had 6 different people waiting for help, nobody was even in section for ~10 minutes.

13. LA Guy

I guess that, as in many things, I'm the exception. I suppose that to some, that makes me a sucker, but I can't be bothered to spend very much time trying to save $50 on a plane ticket, or to try to figure out how to score an upgrade. The only time I scour is when the listed prices are clearly insane ($3K for a domestic flight, 2 stops, economy? No way) or the itineraries are nutso (29 hours and 3 stops to get from the west coast to Europe). I've usually gotten pretty decent service just by being nice and on time. I have to admit that no flight attendant has ever pushed me into an empty row for a handjob, nor have I ever gotten a free bottle of Dom.

Am I missing out on something that is amazing? Real question. I've read Flyertalk, and honestly, I guess that it's just not my hobby. I see flying as a necessary evil to be endured. Occasionally, I'll check Flyertalk just to see what seat to choose, but otherwise, I can't be bothered to care to much. That dudes who flies all the time, that sounds like hell.

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

I see what you did there.

So wait, there is a secret to flying? Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

15. LA Guy

I'm sure that I have been. Meh.