• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
I remember back in the '80s and '90s thinking that the Hornets had the absolute most disgusting color combination and their jerseys and shirts and jackets were everywhere. They must have had either a crack marketing/sales team (I don't recall the team itself ever being that great back then and being in a smaller media market surely wasn't helping them) or their gear must have been super easy to find on steep discounts all over the country.

There's probably a reason that a Hornets jacket was the first one to pop up on Google when I searched for "'90s Starter Pullover"

The Hornets were good and on the verge of being a true contender, with two young and exciting superstars in the making. They then soured on each other and the team, both ending up leaving, with neither ever living up to their potential (though Alonzo Mourning was closer, and is also immortalized in the greatest GIF sourced from sports). But that 92-95 hype cycle was huge for making their Starter one of the coolest jackets going. The colours were also a huge part of that: they were vibrant as ****, and felt like wearing the future.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
The Hornets were good and on the verge of being a true contender, with two young and exciting superstars in the making. They then soured on each other and the team, both ending up leaving, with neither ever living up to their potential (though Alonzo Mourning was closer, and is also immortalized in the greatest GIF sourced from sports). But that 92-95 hype cycle was huge for making their Starter one of the coolest jackets going. The colours were also a huge part of that: they were vibrant as ****, and felt like wearing the future.
Muggsy Bogues was a king on the court.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
color-blocking was one of the better notions of the 80s and 90s . starter , nike , Versace when Gianni was still around ...

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone let me know what size I’d be in Margiela GAT if I take a 42 in CPs, 9.5 in Vans?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1713964755634.png

Thinking of getting this shirt. Thoughts on pairings? I've some black jeans and black cowboy boots. May work for sexy or sleazy vibe.

Sounds uncomfortable for summer though. I can't find any velour pants that'd fit my big thighs.

Also have baggy poplin khakis, but ehhhh on that one.

Would love recommendations.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2173135
Thinking of getting this shirt. Thoughts on pairings? I've some black jeans and black cowboy boots. May work for sexy or sleazy vibe.

Sounds uncomfortable for summer though. I can't find any velour pants that'd fit my big thighs.

Make sure you have a super hairy chest or no hair on your chest. A few strands sticking out just won't cut it with that shirt.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2173135

Sounds like you are going for Saint Laurent circa 2014 ?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2173135

White or off white jeans and black boots could look great too

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vanessa Friedman's thoughtful responses to the inane comments of people who are either unaware of, or worse, refuse to acknowledge the validity of, the semiotics of fashion, shows a saintly amount of restraint. I didn't write the article and I want to reach out and smack some of the commentators.

Nice shoutout to Styleforum's own @dieworkwear and also John Elliott. I remember when Styleforum was mentioned in the NYT, first time in 2005, and a lot of members came one at that time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads