• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all I hope someone can help me. I thrifted this cardigan a few months back but due to weight of the cotton when i hand washed it, it’s stretched to a longer length. It’s meant to be a touch longer than some other cardigans but not as long as pictured. You can see the curve where it stretched on the hem.

Is there a way to shrink it so it shortens without warping the patch? Or am I stuck with it?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6554.jpeg
IMG_6542.jpeg

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all I hope someone can help me. I thrifted this cardigan a few months back but due to weight of the cotton when i hand washed it, it’s stretched to a longer length. It’s meant to be a touch longer than some other cardigans but not as long as pictured. You can see the curve where it stretched on the hem.

Is there a way to shrink it so it shortens without warping the patch? Or am I stuck with it?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 2161623 View attachment 2161625
I would just carefully handwash it again (no wringing) and block it back into shape. Dry it flat

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just carefully handwash it again (no wringing) and block it back into shape. Dry it flat
dumb question, but how would i block it back into shape? Sorry to be ignorant.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

good advice , blocking is totes reversible .

dumb question, but how would i block it back into shape? Sorry to be ignorant.

get your measurements together . next soak the knit , you want it to be reasonably wet when you lay it out on a towel on a table so you can massage it to your measurements . if the patch has shrunk a bit you can pull it out the same way . then don't touch anything till it's dry .

it can be a take awhile ( like a few days ) to completely dry , use your best judgement whether the towel needs to be replaced . I think it might help to use a screen underneath to dry if you have one around for circulation

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good advice , blocking is totes reversible .

get your measurements together . next soak the knit , you want it to be reasonably wet when you lay it out on a towel on a table so you can massage it to your measurements . if the patch has shrunk a bit you can pull it out the same way . then don't touch anything till it's dry .

it can be a take awhile ( like a few days ) to completely dry , use your best judgement whether the towel needs to be replaced . I think it might help to use a screen underneath to dry if you have one around for circulation
I'll give it a go when time allows, thanks chum.

On another note, do you know why cotton knits take an age to dry yet wool takes a fraction? Is it due to the wool being water repellent or something?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give it a go when time allows, thanks chum.

On another note, do you know why cotton knits take an age to dry yet wool takes a fraction? Is it due to the wool being water repellent or something?

oh wait your knit is cotton . whoops cotton doesn't block . blocking is the fiber itself stretching and shortening , only wool blocks . I think cashmere might but linen or cotton or camelid fibers won't block . tbh I think you could shake it out and then wear it in as it is . its the knit itself needs to snap back into place is all .

next time you wash it consider a gentle tumble dry or if you'd rather hand wash forget about blocking. pull as much water as you can out of it by rolling it up in towels and then lay it flat to measure it will dry quickly and well but forget about the blocking stuff that's for wool .

cotton is very absorbent b/c it's molecularly built to be absorbent . the fiber is part of the seed packet for the cotton plant it's like a fruit , I couldn't guess why absorbency is a part of it , I'd guess it's something like the boll snaps off the plant and is windborne along until it finds a destination and then the boll persists until winter rains so maybe it's a way of guaranteeing the germ gets enough agua . but honestly idk the reproductive cycle of the cotton plant everything we have today is a cultivar anyways with a few exceptions . but no mistake it's not so much that wool repels water ( it does ) as that cotton is remarkably absorbent . but you don't need to baby cotton to keep it clean and your p wing should snap back no problemo .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren targeting the Chinese market not so subtly?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have a favorite OCBD that (1) looks suitable worn casually or with a suit, (2) doesn't break the bank, and (3) is on the slimmer side (not super slim but just not billowy)? Kamakura?

Last edited:

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have a favorite OCBD that (1) looks suitable worn casually or with a suit, (2) doesn't break the bank, and (3) is on the slimmer side (not super slim but just not billowy)? Kamakura?
I like Gitman Vintage but they do sorta break my bank.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score

I only finally dipped my toes into Kamakura OCBD this past year and I really, really love mine, especially for the price. It does feel quite slim compared to what a lot of us have been wearing the past few years, but I liked the way it looked with a suit. Worn with jeans, I do feel the the need to tuck it in but it works with the style. I just unbutton it a little extra and wear with a chore coat in that case. They'd probably look great on you (even untucked since you're quite tall) and the collar is super pretty.

casterofdreams

Reaction score
Now that I've had a chance to try it all on, I'm happy with about 90% of it. All the baselayers and midlayers fit well, and the dot-knit hoody and tee had a nice amount of slouch while still fitting well. All of the fabrics felt so cozy and warm. The construction of the outerwear was all pretty impressive. I feel like I could have gone down a size on the 50/50 mountain jacket and the geodesic shell, but I am doing my best to embrace the purposely roomy fit. The two misses for me were the hiking boots and the gaiter. The boots were some of the worst things I've ever put on my feet- no support, flimsy materials, basically felt like cheap fashion boots rather than hiking boots. The gaiter had no way of staying up on my face other than cinching it tight and making my nose hold it on my face.
I did see that the 50/50 ran larger when I tried it at DSM. They didn’t have the shell though. The baselayers are good for me as it’s made out of that future fleece material. I know it’ll keep me warm when the weather drops again. After even more wear time, I still can’t get past the polyester parts on the hoodie. Way too flimsy. I feel like it’ll rip. The shirt has that material on the arm pocket so no big deal there. I have the gaiter too I forgot to mention it before. Same future fleece material. I though it fit well but that’s because I have a fat head lol.

Did you see the second drop from a couple of weeks back? It looks like it’s trail centered this time around. Nothing stands out to me.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only finally dipped my toes into Kamakura OCBD this past year and I really, really love mine, especially for the price. It does feel quite slim compared to what a lot of us have been wearing the past few years, but I liked the way it looked with a suit. Worn with jeans, I do feel the the need to tuck it in but it works with the style. I just unbutton it a little extra and wear with a chore coat in that case. They'd probably look great on you (even untucked since you're quite tall) and the collar is super pretty.
Ah, thanks for the review, Kyle! I think you have solidified my choice. Can't wait to try them as they look quite nice.
I did see that the 50/50 ran larger when I tried it at DSM. They didn’t have the shell though. The baselayers are good for me as it’s made out of that future fleece material. I know it’ll keep me warm when the weather drops again. After even more wear time, I still can’t get past the polyester parts on the hoodie. Way too flimsy. I feel like it’ll rip. The shirt has that material on the arm pocket so no big deal there. I have the gaiter too I forgot to mention it before. Same future fleece material. I though it fit well but that’s because I have a fat head lol.

Did you see the second drop from a couple of weeks back? It looks like it’s trail centered this time around. Nothing stands out to me.
I think the second hood on the hoody is just decoration. But, yeah, it doesn't seem to functional. The futurefleece is so cozy!

I did see the second drop and think it looks nice. It reminds me of a cross between early Gyakusou and the last Soukuu line. It seems like it would all be nice for hiking/trail running, but I don't do much of that these days.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@zissou I’ll second Kamakura and also suggest J.Press Pennant Label. Think they work a little better than Kamakura untucked as well. I’m 6’ for reference.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@zissou I’ll second Kamakura and also suggest J.Press Pennant Label. Think they work a little better than Kamakura untucked as well. I’m 6’ for reference.

how did you guys size on these? tokoyo or NY? slim or classic? I feel like i could take any of these sizes.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellejohn2k19